Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1985 Jaguar V12 Vanden Plas Door Won't Latch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1985-jaguar-v12-vanden-plas-door-wont-latch-59064/)

holybananas 08-09-2011 05:46 PM

1985 Jaguar V12 Vanden Plas Door Won't Latch

Hey there,
I recently took my 1985 Jaguar V12 Vanden Plas out of storage and the driver door will not latch. I'm assuming it's a broken handle cord (had a similar problem with my X300 not too long ago). Can anybody verify the problem & if so send me in the right direction to find a new door handle cable? I took a quick look on the net and couldn't find anything.

Thanks a lot!

Doug 08-09-2011 07:45 PM

"Won't latch" ? Does that mean the door won't even close all the way? If so the latch mechanism may have just rolled over preventing the striker from sliding into the latch. If that's the case just hold the outside handle up and roll the latch thingy upwards with your finger.

Or....the latch mechanism might need a good clean-n-lube

You won't have a cable/cord on this model. It has steel rods...with some very nice adjusting barrels for fine tuning the operation. They don't make things like that these days :-).

The Ser III is the most modern of all antique automobiles.

Cheers
DD

holybananas 08-10-2011 01:25 PM

Hey Doug,
Thanks for the quick reply! So basically when I shut the door it just sits in place with nothing holding it there. I've tried playing with the handle but it's as if it's not even connected anymore.

Do you know if taking off the door panel is pretty straight forward?

Many thanks!

Fraser Mitchell 08-10-2011 04:01 PM

As I recall with my own '80 Series 3 I had many years ago, the secret is to remove the door capping first, then the door pull and the door pocket, loosen off the latch handle and remove, then using a blunt blade such as a wallpaper scraper, insert into gap between door and door cover, and gently ease out the clips. The door panel should then lift away without any force. If you have to use force you have forgotten to undo something, there are no hard-to-release clips or anything.

Mind you it was a long time ago I removed mine !! Doug will fill in what I may have forgotten. It sounds like you are going to have to strip out the latch and mechanism and make sure it is all lubed then reassemble. Its all pretty simple engineering, nothing complex like modern cars. You will also find massive solenoids in there which work the central locking.

When reassembling, don't forget to replace the waterproof membrane and repair any holes.

holybananas 08-10-2011 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 170507

Thanks for all the tips! I managed to get the door panel off and the mechanism with the latch. In the picture I've attached, I put a square around what I believe is the striker. When the handle is pulled this is supposed to move which will open the latch. However it's not moving freely on it's own. If you pull the handle the entire piece moves (striker & bolt holes), so when you bolt it all into place one could guess it wouldn't move at all because it's so snug. Any ideas? I followed the metal bars from the handle and they all seem to be working just fine. Where abouts are adjusting barrels you mentioned?

This is driving me crazy! :)

Doug 08-10-2011 07:40 PM

The striker is on the body of the car...the part that the door latch engages.

I think you should douse everything with aerosol brake wash or WD40 and follow up with an aerosol lubricant of your choice and see if things spring back to life.

It's been 2-3 years since I was into one of those door latches so I'm having a hard time remembering any details that might help you.

It's rare but sometimes the latch mechanisms DO outright fail. I had to replace one once.

The adjuster barrels should be on the lock rods but I don't think that'll be part of your problem

Cheers
DD

holybananas 08-10-2011 11:35 PM

Thanks for all the help!

Many hours later - it's finally fixed. It ended up just needing some lubrication and cleaning. I took apart the passenger side to see how it all properly worked and went from there :).

Thanks!

Doug 08-10-2011 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by holybananas (Post 389766)
It ended up just needing some lubrication and cleaning.

Good work!

Old Jag mantra:

Remove disassemble clean lubricate.

Don't buy new anything without first trying:

:-)

Cheers
DD

Fraser Mitchell 08-12-2011 08:34 AM

Congratulations !

As I am sure Doug and others know, working inside doors can rip your hands to bits, there are so many sharp edges, and pointed screws etc. Not my favourite job at all.