XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Series 3 Suspension / Fuel Pump issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I went to a salvage yard and pulled the punp from a 1986 XJ just for the heck of it. That was the third pump and the one that is still quiet. $6.00 it cost me.

The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (05-13-2019)
Old 05-01-2020, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for replying ..I'm in Colac Victoria Australia. Bessie goes to Geelong about an hour down the road.

I have had my Independent Jaguar mechanic replace rear springs ( said to be correct for Xj6) and rear Shocks (KYB) and KYB shocks for the front, few ball joints and bushes too. Both fuel tanks repaired, fuel injection cleaned and some new parts and now the pump is quiet.

I've only taken her for a quick drive but she does feel better still not a really soft rear end though..but the thumping has gone, he didn't change the sub frame rubbers as he reckoned they were ok..Rear end softer now but I feel the back end is a little too high now, I know she was sagging at the back for sure with her old springs and the shocks definitely needed doing ...Bessie is at the Auto electricians now having dash lights sorted, when I get her back I'll post photos and see what people think here...once both fuel tanks are full etc..see what you think on here. Cheers Paul.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:16 PM

Hi Frank, our Bessie has had a fair bit of work done by my Independent mechanic in the last month including replacing the right side fuel tank and repairing the left one and putting a special sealer in both, this along a new fuel regulator and some other fuel injection parts has sorted the fuel pump noise its gone!

Bessie has new rear springs ( said to be the correct for her) and shocks ( KYB) and new shocks on the front again KYB as the sprigs were ok.

It was noted on removing the old rear springs that one spring was a different size to the others..I have driven her a short test drive as our Mechanic is an hour away..and she does seem better with no real thumping from back end although it is still a little more firm than I would really like but her tanks were not full.

My issue now is that whilst she was definitely riding low at the rear she seems a little too high now..when I get her back (she is now at Austo Electricians re dash light short) I will put before and after pics up here..My Mechanic insists she is correct ride height...I have downloaded many New 1985 Jaguar brochure photos and she looks higher than most of those..yet even in the brochures some are higher at the rear than others..cheers Paul.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:58 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

Best advice I can give is speak to Bill or Doug at Jagdaim in Melbourne. They know their stuff and have almost everything you need in stock. I have been using them for years , always great with advice.

The following users liked this post:
Paul David Cross (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:52 AM

Yes a number of the parts for Bessie have come from Jag daim...including new door seal rubber, window lift switches, viscous coupling and fan. Bessie has had a Birthday..then she went to Franks Auto Electrical just around the corner from West Coast Jag and had a new hazard switch, sunroof sorted and low and behold they fixed the radio too which hasn't worked for many years..it is the original AWA Clarion radio cassette so that is exciting.

Thanks to everyone who replied I run a Face Book Page and you can see Bessie and many other Jaguars on that page : https://www.facebook.com/Jaguar-Moto...?ref=bookmarks

Old 05-15-2020, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

As to cars looking lower in advertising brochures yes, it is not uncommon. Look sleek, sell cars...

carl