XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1985 Series 3 Tire size

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 12:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

I also prefer the term RestoMod or simply V8 Conversion to "Lump" (usually said with a sneer). I know of one called a Jagulet, I call mine a Chevuar. However, being a mere woman playing a Men's game, I'm quick to point out that she came to me that way and so I take neither credit nor blame. But then I add that if Nix had still had the XK engine she would never have come to live under this roof, and even though I had Nothing to do with the original conversion, I'm rather proud of her.

Unfortunately, there were no flash drives in 1986, but I have the Original paperwork from the conversion company, Interjag, and they seem to have been viewed with a measure of respect in the business at the time. Everything seems to be laid out in a logical manner and it all works. I can't complain, except for the rear trans mount, which will be replaced when the engine/trans gets overhauled in a few years.
(';')

Old 03-24-2016, 06:17 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes I was referring to the part of the conversion that is the electronic Fuel Injection system and how it is grafted into the Jaguar electrical system.

There are a lot of sensors and relays that must function with, be calibrated to, the Jaguar, in order to function properly. If for instance you install an EFI without the ALDL receptacle, and you need to diagnose a problem, you will have great difficulty trouble shooting for the root problem.

I used the term "flash drive" because that is where i have stored information in separate folders,.. on a flash drive. Simpler installations (carb cars) which have had a lot of work done to them as well, do not have the EFI to Jag transition points. Documenting this info can be of help in the future when memory is getting foggy or attempting to sell the car.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

WINK;WINK;
All I said was the cheap tires were going to be installed on a Jag that I was going to lump and MY THREAD WAS HIJACKED FROM TIRE SIZE TO EFI CONVERSIONS. DIDN'T YOU ALL SEE THE NEW THREAD FOR "LUMPERS" LMAO!!!! SEE, I AM NOT UPSET.
On that note, now that the tire issue has been resolved,I will continue with the transition.
I am locating a 700R4 tranny to mate with my 350 engine.That means I will have to identify the wiring for the lock-up converter and any other wiring associated with the tranny. I think I can locate a TransAM with a 305/700R4 for cheap. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one. It was tied up in a divorce settlement case, but I know the car, before it was parked up, windows down, T-tops off for over 3 years. Interior totally destroyed so the price is great.

Old 03-24-2016, 03:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,934 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Sorry, Alyn, my mistake. I do get carried away sometimes.

Sanchez, I Luv your humor!! If you haven't experienced a 350/700R4 w/LTC, you're in for a Treat!

At least it was only the car they were fighting over and not the kids. Imagine if They were left so unattended while parents duked it out!
(';')

Old 03-24-2016, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Just checking in at the forum again after a verybusy couple of months totally absorbed in business. I have to say the "lumping" thing always amuses me, especially when it gets emotions flying so high!

IMHO, what does it matter? I doubt there are many series XJ's in the world with 100% original spec equipment. We tinker here, we tinker there, add and delete stuff as we see fit, whether it's an after market coil or a entire Chevy engine in there, most of us have some form of "distortion" from originality. As a traditionalist (not a purist - there is a difference!), I happen to enjoy my 4.2 Jag engine, it's a wonderful motor, but I can equally admire a conversion if it's the owners pride and joy. I just saw an episode of "Cuban Chrome" where a guy was running a 2 ton diesel boat engine in a '49 Oldsmobile - now that's real lumping!! Of course, those poor beggars can't get parts and are happy with a large rubber band if it propels the car.

Whether a purist or a lumper, or somewhere in between - live and let live I say (apologies to Sanchez for adding to the hijack, sorry mate!)

Old 03-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

Hijacking can be fun. It ruffles feathers for no reason.
Thanks to the members of this forum for their excellent help, I actually have a series 3 with very few aftermarket components and I love the 4.2 engine. I have removed,opened, cleaned and lubricated most of the electrical components on my car that can be serviced and am i the process of doing more.
A special thank you to Doug who inspired me to keep my car going. Through his posts, I have every single electrical component working on my car as they were meant to work.
The "LUCAS" issue has been dealt with on my car. Every item responds to every switch, every wire checked, every bullet connector cleaned. With the patience of job, over a few months, I accomplished the almost impossible and feel very good about it.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Oh, yeah, in any critter, clean, tighten and lube the electrics fixes so much.

Carl