Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1986 XJ6 Electric Problems (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1986-xj6-electric-problems-117287/)

Enders 05-06-2014 10:07 AM

1986 XJ6 Electric Problems

I have a 1986 Series 3 XJ6 that I bought about two months ago that I'm working on. I took it to the shop to get the fuel line replaced because it had two leaks. Before this the only electric problem I noticed was that the radio and speakers didn't play anything. They just had white noise when turned on.Everything was fine as I went home and when my girlfriend took it to her friends it was the same. However while out she said the windows stopped working as well as the turning signals.

The turning signals only turn on when the car is on but the engine isn't running. As soon as I start the engine they won't work. Does anyone know what this could be? Should I call back the shop since I've never had any issues with this before until after the shop handled it? Does it have anything to do with the speakers? Any help is greatly appreciated as this is the first car I've decided to restore, making me a tentative novice.

JagCad 05-06-2014 11:00 AM

I think it is a coincidence that the electrical maladies chose to show up after a fuel line was changed. However, if the line was under the bonnet as opposed to under the car, just mebbe, but still a long shot.

As the turn signals seem to be ignition switch related, that is where I might start. Turn signals on in the accessory position, but not the run position is a clue. You need the S57 jaguar schematics book to examine the circuitry and test it.

As to the windows, the answer might be super simple or just a tad more complex. These cars have a master rocker switch on the console amongst the moon roof and window switches. If it was inadvertently rocked off, none of this stuff would work. Easy to do. They are not line of sight located, so it is a touchy feely thing!!!

And, opening the console and removing each switch for clean and lube is a tad tedius, but not hard at all.

I can describe the protocol if needed.

Oh, as a place to begin. Use the owner's manual to locate the fuses. Check each and it's contacts. They are a bit tricky. At times, merely rolling one in it's cradle restores function. At times, one may look good, but be busted internally!!

Good luck with the electrickery!!

Carl

Jose 05-06-2014 12:20 PM

agreeing with Carl, the (smaller) Master Window Switch located at the top center of the "ski slope" controls the power window motors and the sunroof motor. Try switching it up or down with ignition switch in either Accessory or Run positions.

if the radio only plays "white noise", or "static", have you tried playing a cassette or CD? (depending the type of radio you have). If the radio turns ON, but it doesn't receive radio stations, then it could be that the Antenna Cable has become separated from the radio, which entails pulling the radio to confirm, which entails removing the delicate panel over the radio which contains the TEMP and AUTO switches, and 4 very delicate optic light cables. And removing that, is not easy the first-time you do it.

if you had a fuel-injection hose replaced at the engine, then I do not see how the symptoms are related.

john_cook12 05-06-2014 02:24 PM

I don't have anything specific to add except that as a self-described novice, I would suggest that you assume that the problems are separate for diagnostics and consider possible connections later. It also helps to work from the easiest to the most difficult fix: fuses, trace wires, try different circumstances of use, etc. first before you do any dissembling of any kind.

As a new member to the forums, be sure to check out the stickys and the treasure drove of digital files we have about this model (including digital scans of the parts guide, electrical diagrams, climate control documentation, and repair manuals). I know all of the info is overwhelming when you first look at it, but if you take it piece by piece as you work on each individual issue, you will learn a lot.

as regards radio:
check the fuses and like Jose said, check if it plays from multiple sources - AM/FM, CD, Cassette, Aux/MP3 whatever you have - this helps you isolate the problem (if CD plays but no FM/AM, it is antennae related; if no CD plays, it is either the radio head unit itself, the speakers, the wiring, or the electrical connection powering the head unit. Just keep isolating the problem.