Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1987 Series III XJ6 won't start (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1987-series-iii-xj6-wont-start-119889/)

wnlewis 06-14-2014 10:08 PM

1987 Series III XJ6 won't start

My 1987 (late spring of 1987) Series III XJ6 won't start. I think the starter is good. However, it is the third replacement starter from O'Reilly's (I bought the first one as a rebuilt with a lifetime warranty).

When I put in the key and turn to the start position I hear a click that sounds like it comes from the front of the firewall.

The gauges all come on.

The battery I am using for test purposes is the one for my 1992 Mercury Sable Wagon with a 3800 CC V6. It will start the Mercury with no problem.

I think the first thing to do is to check the starter. What two terminals do I need to connect to get the starter to engage?

If the starter checks out OK, which item would be the next most reasonable thing to check?

I have a Jaguar Series III manual but I don't think it is current with the 1987 cars.

Is there a trouble shooting chart that would help me go back from the starter, through the solenoids and to the ignition switch? I have a home made trouble shooting light with about a 12 foot reach.

And is there a fuse (or a fusible link) that I should check?

Neal Lewis

P.S. I have heard there are low current draw, high speed gear motor starters available for this car. What brand should I look for? Thank, Neal

Doug 06-14-2014 10:12 PM

Here ya go:

Engine Will Not Crank Checklist

Cheers
DD

wnlewis 06-14-2014 11:04 PM

Thanks Doug,

I am reading through what the information on the link you sent. I plan to go through the process in the next few days.

Neal

Padrino 08-10-2014 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 995866)
Here ya go:

Cheers
DD

Doug, could you repost this checklist please. It won't come up.

My perfectly running XJ6 Series 3 just decided not to turn over. Newer big Sears battery that checks good and I can hear the starter relay go "click" but that's all. Everything else works so there's juice but nothing else.

I'm about to replace the relay but if I'm hearing it "click" I'm doubting that's the problem. My big issue is getting this 2 ton cat out of an uphill garage and to my mechanic.

Padrino 08-10-2014 07:47 PM

Just threw a volt meter on the white with red stripe wire output terminal on the starter relay. Wife turned the key to start and I've got good 12 volts coming out of the relay. Relay is not the problem.

I've read other posts and they say there's some junction down that white/red wire which on my car is covered in a nylon mesh. Question is, how far down that wire do I search? Can I only get at it from underneath to check it?

Doug 08-10-2014 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Padrino (Post 1033540)
Doug, could you repost this checklist please. It won't come up.

Cheers
DD

Doug 08-10-2014 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Padrino (Post 1033653)
Just threw a volt meter on the white with red stripe wire output terminal on the starter relay. Wife turned the key to start and I've got good 12 volts coming out of the relay. Relay is not the problem.

Good!

Are your battery cables clean and tight? Is the ground underneath the car clean and tight? Battery fully charged?

I've read other posts and they say there's some junction down that white/red wire which on my car is covered in a nylon mesh. Question is, how far down that wire do I search? Can I only get at it from underneath to check it?

Thw white/red wire goes right to the starter. No junction. And, yeah, you'll have to go underneath to check it. Even then you might not be able to get your fingers on it.

The 'junction' you've heard about ....two of them, actually....is on the firewall. Look at the firewall, right side, aft of the intake manifold, and then look down a bit. It'll be under a rubber boot. This is a major "+" voltage junction post.......the big voltage cable from the battery and another to the start. Make sure it is clean and tight.

The other junction post is symetrically located on the left side firewall

Cheers
DD

Padrino 08-17-2014 10:17 AM

Thanks Doug. I'm going to see if I can slither under the cat sometime today. Which side is best to reach the starter from? Looking from above I believe it's on the passenger side (USA).

Doug 08-17-2014 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Padrino (Post 1038008)
Thanks Doug. I'm going to see if I can slither under the cat sometime today. Which side is best to reach the starter from? Looking from above I believe it's on the passenger side (USA).

Right side, yes

Cheers
DD

Padrino 09-06-2014 10:55 PM

I owe an outcome report. The starter itself ended up being shot. Had the old girl put on a flatbed and taken to my local Jag mech. $650 later I drove home with a new starter but one out of a 1998 XJ strapped to the engine. Mech said it would crank easier with less draw and it seems to.

JagCad 09-07-2014 10:50 AM

Wowee. Six big ones +++

Way back when, I was a grease monkey style "mechanic" while working my way through college!!! Should've taken that "y" in my course forward.

I do not begrudge today's tech's at all. Brains plus brawn and stamina in not so easy conditions.

Post mortem on the old starter?

ID on the replaced better starter???

Carl

Padrino 11-04-2014 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Padrino (Post 1052325)
I owe an outcome report. The starter itself ended up being shot. Had the old girl put on a flatbed and taken to my local Jag mech. $650 later I drove home with a new starter but one out of a 1998 XJ strapped to the engine. Mech said it would crank easier with less draw and it seems to.

Sorry, took a while to get back to answer the question on identifying this replacement starter.

It's a Bosch-W for a 1997 XJ. Only number I can find is from my receipt from Coventry Cars. That part number is SR491X. Hope that helps others.

Had it in the car since end of August and do notice things start easier.