Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1988 XJ6 gas smell (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1988-xj6-gas-smell-63300/)

blueslover63 11-09-2011 03:55 PM

1988 XJ6 gas smell

Hi folks.This is my second thread since joining this great sight.I want to thank all the folks that have sent me info.I'm proud to be a Jaguar owner and very happy to be able to share info on this sight.
I have rectified my issues with the braking system as well as a few other things.(Thanks again)All the while getting to know my new found English Feline friend.
I have a new question to ask.I am getting gas smell in the trunk and in the car as well.I spent inside of three hours checking for leaks or breaks in the trunk,underneath the car,behind the seats for access? and under the hood.Nothing abnormal was found except for some lines that were disconected towards the front of the car near where charcoal filter was?My friend that was checking w/me alerted me to the lines.We are not sure if that has any connection?I hear this is a common issue with the year.As of 11/15 I have solved this problem.It seems the whole problem was gas not venting properly.Maybe some filter or ventilation for this car is not functioning as it should?My first Cat so I still have to research.I solved the problem initially by removing the gas cap and driving the car for a few days.I noticed the smell was gone.After looking for a vented gas cap and coming out empty,I decided to drill a few small holes in my gas cap and create my own v cap.LOL.Thanks for the tip on the rubber around the spout.That was my next move.Regards,Piero

aladdin9150 11-14-2011 08:22 PM

Gas Smell

[QUOTE=blueslover63;427375]Hi folks.This is my second thread since joining this great sight.I want to thank all the folks that have sent me info.I'm proud to be a Jaguar owner and very happy to be able to share info on this sight.
I have rectified my issues with the braking system as well as a few other things.(Thanks again)All the while getting to know my new found English Feline friend.
I have a new question to ask.I am getting gas smell in the trunk and in the car as well.I spent inside of three hours checking for leaks or breaks in the trunk,underneath the car,behind the seats for access? and under the hood.Nothing abnormal was found except for some lines that were disconected towards the front of the car near where charcoal filter was?My friend that was checking w/me alerted me to the lines.We are not sure if that has any connection?I hear this is a common issue with the year.Any advice would be greatly appreceated.Regards,PieroQUOTE]

Hello,

I had the same issue.. I am not sure if it's the same but, you might want to check your gas tank rubber seal ( where you actually put the gas in ) if you overflow the gas it leaks through the rubber into the trunk behind the lining. take the cap off and clean or vaccum the rubber and see if its cracked. The cheapest way to fix it is to buy yourself a bike tire and improvise. I hope this helps..Good Luck !!!

H