Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1988 xj6 transmission mount Help! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1988-xj6-transmission-mount-help-62349/)

Keith M 10-19-2011 07:52 PM

1988 xj6 transmission mount Help!

I installed a rebuilt transmission in a vehicle that was missing the trans.
Everything appears correct except that the trans is sitting too high in the car to the point of the trans hitting the shift cable and the floor, which in time will be damaged. I'd like to meet the guy that designed the transmission mount that is one strange looking setup.
My question: Is there a wrong or right way to install the trans mount? I tried finding an illustration, but found nothing, Alldata is of no help. Is there any way to adjust the height?
Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks

Grant Francis 10-20-2011 03:21 AM

Keith,

An '88 MAY be an XJ40, not the "series" cars of this area. Is it a ZF 4 speed transmission, or the older BW66 3 speed????. If unknown in that area, is it a 4.2ltr engine sitting vertical in the engine bay, or a 4ltr engine angled slightly to the RH side????.

DO NOT panic, a Mod will move this to the correct area to maximise answers.

Your answer to those queries will determine the correct model, and the outcome.

The spring is the item that dictates the hieght, and there are many springs for the various mount configurations.

Keith M 10-20-2011 09:03 AM

Motor/trans info re: trans height problem

The trans is a ZF4HP22 and a 3.6 ltr.
I noticed the trans has a stud where the spring seat mounts, but nothing is fastened. The spring is just sitting there in the pocket of the xmember. Should there be something that pulls the spring down?

Fraser Mitchell 10-20-2011 04:27 PM

You really do need to post this in the XJ40 forum to ensure people with the knowledge get to see it

Grant Francis 10-21-2011 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Keith M (Post 419276)
The trans is a ZF4HP22 and a 3.6 ltr.
I noticed the trans has a stud where the spring seat mounts, but nothing is fastened. The spring is just sitting there in the pocket of the xmember. Should there be something that pulls the spring down?

Keith, OK you have what is known as an XJ40, and one of our ever "freindly" Mods will move this to the correct area as soon a sone of them reads this haha.

I have NO IDEA on the mount, however if no one comes in I will jack our beast up and have a look see later this weekend (Friday night here now).

Keith M 10-21-2011 08:35 AM

Sorry, I'm new to the site here and Jaguar ownership. All I know is I have 1988 xj6 3.6ltr. I am not familiar with a xj40 designation. I think I have found the problem. The mount is missing a top plate and seat to compress the lower spring, thus lowering the height of the trans. Now I just have to find the parts, which looks like it will be difficult.
Thanks