Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1990 XJ6 needs head gasket? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1990-xj6-needs-head-gasket-1234/)

03-17-2007 03:15 AM

1990 XJ6 needs head gasket?

Hi forum

I am looking at getting a 1990 XJ6 and the curent owner says it needs a head gasket. And that it has low compression on 1 and 2 cylinders. What I want to know is if I purchase the vehicle am I looking at a large repair bill? thanks in advance for any help

03-17-2007 05:31 PM

RE: 1990 XJ6 needs head gasket?

Hi

Im still looking for some advice on the repairs of jaguars

JimC64 03-18-2007 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 199273

Hi Daewoo, did you try posting in the XJ6 forum? You may have more luck!
If not racer or buck may be able to help.

JC

Jose 03-21-2007 02:00 AM

I'm not familiar with the 1990 since mine are a 1984 and a 1965, but a friend got a 1991 for a song which had the same problem, but he had to do a lot of work after removing the cylinder head, it wasn't just the head gasket, but a lot to do with valves and cams. Don't just take someone's word for it, if the seller knows it's "just the headgasket", why hasn't he/she had it repaired? Also, you don't just replace the headgasket without having the head and block surfaces checked for trueness, and chances are they will need resurfacing, so there's a lot more involved than "the headgasket". Caveat Emptor. (Buyer Beware). But if you can get the whole car real cheap, and the whole car is in exceptional condition, then buy it and have it repaired for what it will cost, you'll still be ahead. good luck.

93xj6 03-21-2007 02:10 AM

Yea my advice would be don't buy. If the owner of a 18 year old car admits to some problems, you know there will be some more issues.

PLus just fixing the head gaskets won't be your last problem, after you did fix it up there will be many other costly repairs that will pop up.

We bought a 93 xj6 in great condition, and we still ended up payin almost 2,000 in repairs that weren;t engine related.

bigdreams05 03-21-2007 01:56 PM

My boy bought an 03 Escalade for 6K and all it had was a blown engine with 53K miles. The dumb ass drained the oil and dropped the car to put oil in it but went inside to get a beer. Just then, his wife needed to go to the store and when he stepped back out and the car wasn't there. Three blocks down, a pretty white cadillac sat with smoke everywhere. Poor people, but my got a new engine from cadillac installed for about 5K and with about 11 or 12 K he a had an 03 escalade with a NEW engine. If you consider that the investment into the cheap car is simply going to make it newer than it's a wise investment, but if you see that if you scream loud enought the plastic in the interior falls off and the paint chips, then the car isn't worth it.

04-27-2007 05:23 AM

ORIGINAL: bigdreams05

My boy bought an 03 Escalade for 6K and all it had was a blown engine with 53K miles. The dumb ass drained the oil and dropped the car to put oil in it but went inside to get a beer. Just then, his wife needed to go to the store and when he stepped back out and the car wasn't there. Three blocks down, a pretty white cadillac sat with smoke everywhere. Poor people, but my got a new engine from cadillac installed for about 5K and with about 11 or 12 K he a had an 03 escalade with a NEW engine. If you consider that the investment into the cheap car is simply going to make it newer than it's a wise investment, but if you see that if you scream loud enought the plastic in the interior falls off and the paint chips, then the car isn't worth it.
lol how does that work? Your son hit the jackpot on that, he musta been banking his karma :)