Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   1994 XJ12 - A Classic??? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/1994-xj12-classic-4366/)

Pookster208 02-13-2008 05:23 AM

1994 XJ12 - A Classic???

I am told by many in the Jaguar world that as there were so few of the XJ12 6.0
models made that this particular model should gradually rise in value and at least
equal the value of the old XKEs of the 60s / 70s. DO you believe this to be the case,
and why? Jeff

ken@britishparts.com 02-13-2008 10:37 AM

RE: 1994 XJ12 - A Classic???

The 94 XJ12 is not that uncommon. You also have to remember that everywhere but the USA there cars where also available in 1993.

I would think the more collectible would be the 95-97 xj12. Those are very rare. Particularly, the 1997 models. Only a handful of those where produced.

Jose 02-14-2008 11:14 AM

not to mention thosenew style (Series 4 XJ-40 and Series 5 X-300) Jaguarsafter 1989 are Ford-influenced, so REAL Jaguars they are not considered to be, by many.

A similar analogy can be made to the Fender Electric Guitars, a company started by Leo Fender in thelate 1940's. CBS bought the company around 1966. Everyone looking for Fender classics always gravitates to the PRE-CBS guitars because they were the REAL thing.Same for Jaguar. Most everyonegravitates to PRE-FORD Jaguars.

I would say the 1992 Series 3 XJ-12 is the most rare, and those were not exported to the USA, only a few to Canada and Germany,(left-hand drive), and a few to Australia, (right-hand drive).The others (right-hand drive) remained in Europe. And only 100 were made in 1992, the last year the Series 3 body-style was produced, and even though it was 3 yearsafter Ford entered the picture, those were still analog (as opposed to digital), and 100% original to Jaguar.
So pardon my opinion, but it will be overdecades before any XJ-40 and on will be a classic.
Put your money in things that appreciate, rent or lease things that deppreciate.

Jose

davidboger 02-14-2008 01:51 PM

<<<not to mention thosenew style (Series 4 XJ-40 and Series 5 X-300) Jaguarsafter 1989 are Ford-influenced, so REAL Jaguars they are not considered to be, by many. >>>

Wow, that's kind of mean.
I guess the Series 3 faithful could say the same thing about Bristish Leyland's infulence on the Series 2-Early Series 3 cars?
I know you are a strictly post Egan guy ( I have a 84 also), but the financial backers have helped pull Jaguar out of difficult times.

Plus, Ford didn't have any dealings with the initial launcing of the XJ40. Planning was started in the early 80s. The XJ40 was something Egan was proud of. Remember, he inherited the Series 3, he designed the XJ40. Case in point:

In introducing the new 4.0 litre, Sir John Egan stressed the extent of the changes which resulted in what he liked to describe as a 'world class car'. "I believe our latest 4.0 litre is essentially a new generation XJ6 - the effect of the changes is that fundamental. We have enjoyed great success with the XJ6 range since launch, but our mission is one of constant improvement. I think the 4.0 litre is evidence that we are succeeding in that mission, and it has been achieved by listening to customers and setting ourselves ever stiffer targets." It was as well that Jaguar had not rested on its laurels for the luxury car market was becoming an increasingly competitive one. Though the company had a fine range of products, the management increasingly realised that to meet the challenge of the nineties and beyond, it would be necessary to have the backing of one of the automotive giants behind the scenes. Without Jaguar losing its essential identity and relative autonomy, there were a myriad of minor, but important, ways in which a benevolent parent could assist.

Fords influence at Jaguar was more financial than it was engineering. Sure, the S type is similar in body style to the Tarus, but what do you expect from a 30+40K Jaguar? That was more of a financial idea to gain affordable intrest in the cars, than an engineering statement.
You get the sameideas from Toyota/Lexus and Honda/Acura.
The quality, ride, and value as always been in the top of the line models. And the XJ8 has never had build quality problems.

Get your hands dirty on a XJ40 and you'll see how much easier they are to work on and diagnois problems. Sure, the Series 3 aren't that difficult to work on, but look at the list of things you recommend removing, just to change a wiper switch.

As a Jaguar Enthusist I enjoy all makes, models, and variations thereof of the cars. It's like with your childern, you love them all, some just in different ways than others....

But, reguarding the original question, the 94 XJ12 may not see the rise in value that the XK, or E type has. It simply comes down to style, quality and personal opinons. The Series 3 XJ6 has proabably never gotten the respect monitarily that it deserves. Sure some good expamples reach the 10K mark, but that is the exception and not the rule. And the same is probably true for the 94 XJ sedan, the value isn't at the same level as the 94 XJS.
But looking into any Jaguar as a finanical investment, rather than an emotional attachment is a sin in it's own right........

David
EverydayXJ