Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   73 XJ6 Info (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/73-xj6-info-1250/)

03-19-2007 01:18 AM

73 XJ6 Info

I just bought a 73 XJ6 rear axle assembly from the junk yard to use in a custom truck. Anyone have any good places to look online to get replacement parts for this rearend? Or if anyone could give me a reference number at to the type of rear end i have so i can do further research on it. Also I have noticed while poking around diffrernt series number of the xj6. Some places put the 73 into the series 1 category and some say its a series 2. Can anyone help?

Jose 03-19-2007 02:29 PM

RE: 73 XJ6 Info

a 1973 XJ-6 is a Series 2 XJ-6. The Series 1 XJ-6 was made from 1968 to 1972 though there was some crossover-leftover into 1973. It depends on the car's Serial Number.
I'll post an XJ Production Chart later-gater. (assuming this site allows picture posting).

bigdreams05 03-19-2007 04:25 PM

Picture posting is allowed no problem.

03-26-2007 08:19 PM

awesome, thanks for the info. That production chart sould help as well. Any recommendations on places to buy parts to rebuild this rear end? i know its going to be a mess, someone put 2 different rotors on it. That probably is telling me alot about how it was taken care of

Jose 03-26-2007 09:52 PM

depending on your location, I can refer you to some salvage yards where I get parts for myself. But Rotors can be had new from AutoZone, Car Quest, O'Reilly's, you name it, they're cheap, why buy used? Refuse to pay a lot just because it's a Jaguar. There's caliper repair/rebuild kits too. All rubbers can be had in Red Polyurethane if you want, not expensive. I'm assuming you bought the entire rear "Cage", right?

03-27-2007 01:11 AM

im in the augusta ga area. And yea ive got the whole shebang, heavy as hell. Im strippin all of that cage off cuz its goin into an air bagged truck. So its gettin an all new frame. I saw some nice brembo drilled rotors that i will use. I just need to get all new seals and possibly bearings. But im just not sure yet, havnt torn into it quite yet

davidboger 03-30-2007 10:29 PM

For the record, a 73 is a Series 1 car. Has the same interrior, and body style as the rest of the Series 1 cars. The main difference is the front bumper was changed to include the rubber overeriders. Every other part is compatable.

Your gearing ratio is probably a 3:54, identified by a tag on the differential (46/13)

I recently helped someone acquire a Jaguar rear end to put into a Mustang. His wesite is at Dazecars.com. He is in the process of rebuilding it now, and has a new posting on JagLovers.org with a place to get all the rebuild parts for less than $400. Check it out......

Good luck
David