Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   74 xj12- new guy (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/74-xj12-new-guy-161236/)

Shawn74xj12 04-15-2016 05:15 PM

74 xj12- new guy

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone just picked up a 74 XJ12 with 60k . seems to be in good shape was stored in a garage all its life and hasn't been started in two years but the owner used to drive it frequently until he bought himself a porsche. the interior looks great at first but upon further inspection has a few cracks in the dash, a saggy headliner and a small tear in the seat. So the catch is the guy can't find the keys to the car... i haven't heard it run nor would i start it after sitting for so long. so i need to figure that out, maybe a new key set and tumbler. I'm going to do all the necessary fuel system cleaning but what else should i look at? I've been trying to learn as much as possible about this car , for example what are they worth? it seems to be all original. anyway heres some pictures, glad to be apart of a new forum!
Attachment 152316
Attachment 152317

jagent 04-15-2016 07:01 PM

Welcome to the forum! There's a good knowledge base here, so no doubt plenty of advice on the 12cyl will be coming your way.

icsamerica 04-15-2016 07:59 PM

Worth is a tricky question because the market is thin and few of these cars exist and very few change hands. Value is highly depend on whether it runs or not. If you cant hear it run and verify the motor is OK then it should be valued as a parts car. The V12 is just too expensive to repair or replace. If it runs and drives OK, then it's on to condition...considering rust, mileage, cosmetics, condition and account for any obvious repairs necessary.

Since it's a V12 and hasn't run for awhile it will need a considerable amount of maintenance to get it safe and reliable to drive.

IMHO V12's are only for the handy, well tooled and knowledgeable mechanic type of owner, because it takes an enthusiast level of time and skill to work on these engines. Careful and specific maintenance to prevent fires and overheating is paramount.

That said...If its in good shape, runs OK, its rare. Buy and enjoy it for the unique experience that a 40 year old v12 wrapped in an amazing chassis topped with a beautiful body offers.

Grant Francis 04-16-2016 03:01 AM

Agree with that.

Being 1974, is it the last of the Carby V12's, or is it Fuel Infected???. We got EFI in 1976 on the V12, but maybe USA headed us on that one.

The Carby engines are a tad easier to live with, BUT they LUV the fuel, and go like stink.

Any version, carby or EFI, is a money pit in the top end of that scale if YOU are NOT doing the work.

That is fact and NOT just my opinion from having way too many V12's over a very long time frame. I did/still do ALL my own work.

The fact it dont run for whatever reason makes $$ advice impossible for me. Having said that, the V12 base is STRONG and is more than likely just fine, it will be anything on the outside of the engine that is going to need some serious refurbishing.

I just luv those USA bumper bars, NOT, that is the ugliest thing I have seen since a Goggomobile lived next door.

Almost forgot, WELCOME to the Forum.

JagCad 04-16-2016 09:57 AM

Welcome!!!!

As to the key set, I've two suggestions. Each involves removing
the ignition switch.

1. Remove it and take it to a "real" lock smith, not the local hardware store. He or she can replace the barrel with a new key or even replicate the original. Might be the best choice!!!

2. Get a good used switch and key from David Boger at everydayxj.

Caveat. Other key needs. doors, boot , gas tanks, glove compartment ???

No keys suggests a big discount in a sales price at the least.
And, is the PO hiding something??? f

Carl

Shawn74xj12 04-16-2016 07:32 PM

found a local lock smith, going to take the lock cylinder there on monday. PO was the seller late father in law who knows what he was hiding? hopefully nothing and the car runs.. time will tell

Lagonia 04-16-2016 07:57 PM

Beautiful car! Congrats! This car is very finicky. I am hoping you can do the work yourself and are extremely patient - otherwise, you will get rid of it.

When they do run, they are amazing cars!!! Better overall experience than the 6 cylinder, 4.2 liter version but extremely hard on gas. Mine is a '77 EFI and is part of my signature below.