XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'81 XJ-6 VP wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '81 XJ-6 VP wiper blades?

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum and hoping that y'all can help me keep this old car on the road a while longer. I am having a hard time finding wiper blade refills that will fit OEM circa 1981 frames. The local auto parts stores only stock complete wiper sets (frame and blade) but unfortunately they all are pin or post mounted (if that is the correct term) but I need ones with the pin built in to the frame. The OEM frames on my car have the pivot pin fixed to them instead of the wiper arm ( as would be needed to use what is available locally)
I wouldn't mind using newer style frames and blades, but can not remove the pin from my old frame. I removed the blade from a new wiper but it would not fit into the old frames( too thick rubber on either side of the metal stiffener)

HELP!! And thanks

Old 06-16-2013, 06:30 PM

Or... if there are any manufacturers of wipers with the pin in the frame that would be fine too, but I'm sure refills would be cheaper than replacing the whole wiper....

Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM
Received 10,292 Likes on 6,811 Posts

Firstly, WELCOME. Do your intro in the "new member area when you can, it keeps all and sundry warm and fuzzy.

I'm down here, and maybe the USA cars were different in this area also????.

Wipers here were 8mm, or 6mm wide slots for the refill to slide into on the blade.

Some Bosch blades were strange, usually on Euro cars, but I have seen them on Jags at times.

These 8 or 6mm refills are readily available, and come in plastic backed, or metal backed. The former being "elcheapo" and caryard used mainly.

I am playing with a S3 at work today, so will take a little more notice than usual.

Shop around, there should be more than one parts supplier, even in your area, and sometimes it pays to not mention Jaguar, just take the blade in and ask for "2 refills to fit this".

Old 06-19-2013, 09:46 PM

OK. I feel like and idiot. So for anyone who doesn't already know, the pin in the OEM wiper blade frame can be extracted (with pliers and a fair amount of force), thus allowing readily available complete wipers sets to be used. The light rust of 10+ years certainly didn't make it any easier, but I didn't know that they were designed to come apart and wasn't sure just how much force I could get away with. Also FYI, 16" blades work just fine- don't know why 14' were on there in the first place

Now look for my next thread as to why this car smokes just a little but burns a quart of oil every few hundred miles....

Old 06-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the way you learn (the way I learn also).
proceed with caution
RR