XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84' XJ6 S3 opera/reading light installation help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84' XJ6 S3 opera/reading light installation help

I need help installing opera/reading lights into the interior back seat area of my 84' XJ6 S3. I am installing them in the exact factory location as the car they were removed from.

The opera lights are out of an 87' XJ6 S3 VP. They came complete with light, base, light cover, original wiring, screws and even the panel piece they were installed onto (ripped right out of the side panel of the other car whole ).

Because they are complete and on the original panel piece, I can see exactly what I need to do to affix them to my car.

However I don't know how my interior side panel comes off my car or where to pull the power for the lights from ( from the little interior sidelight or the other way from the trunk area ?, which would be the easiest or correct/original? ). Will I find it pre wired already?

Most importantly, I really want to pull the side panel off gently and correctly because I don't want to bend it or have it misshapen. I need it to go back on exactly the same; does it glue? The door felt and headliner both connect next to it, so I do not want it flagging and looking warped. It looks simple but also looks like it has the potential never to go back on looking the same.

What do I have to remove first to loosen it off the car without pulling at it? Do I take out the rear seat and back shelf? Do I also take off the upper grab handle ? How do I get at the little sidelight wiring if I need to, how much of that do I need to disassemble?

Also, the original mounting has a thick metal piece with a sharp point embedded in the side panel foam which the opera light screws go through. If that metal piece is not already installed in my 84' (which somethings has been the case with other stuff such as I found out with fog lights). I will have to transfer over the metal piece and embed it to the existing panel to offer the same amount of stability to the light base. Or should I now just find two used rear post panels from a black interior VP and install them also ( hassle ) ?

Now this last question may seem funny to those who do electrical, but how will I wire just a single hot wire? What grounds the light ?

Thank you in advance for your advice and time helping me.