Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   86 VDP Shifter Problems (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/86-vdp-shifter-problems-60042/)

jaguarjerry 08-30-2011 09:37 AM

86 VDP Shifter Problems

Hello everyone

I have a strange problem with my center console shifter. It seems to be "jammed" in the park position. The transmission cable has been disconnected under the car (so I can move the vehicle) but the shifter still won't move. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Do I have to remove the center console to get access to the shifter linkage? Any help or advice would be appreciated.:icon_shrug:

Doug 08-30-2011 10:32 AM

Offhand it sounds like the shift cable has seized. If you remove the console wood panel you'll be able to inspect the shifter-end of the cable.

If the cable is indeed seized you might want to check your engine grounds. If the ground cables are loose or dirty the shift cable becomes a ground...and the heat can melt 'em.

Not saying this IS the problem. Just a possibility.

Cheers
DD

jaguarjerry 08-30-2011 11:11 AM

Thanks Doug. I've tried to remove the console wood panel, but stopped because I wasn't sure what I was getting into - didn't want to break or destroy something. I removed all the screws holding the storage compartment - but it did not want to come out. The lid latch receiver seemed to be attached under the compartment and didn't want to pull out. Is there some trick to remove this? If I get the compartment out is it just a matter of removing the screw above the window switches, pulling the plugs and then remove the wood panel? As mentioned I don't want to break anything. Thanks again for help.

Doug 08-30-2011 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaguarjerry (Post 398466)
Thanks Doug. I've tried to remove the console wood panel, but stopped because I wasn't sure what I was getting into - didn't want to break or destroy something. I removed all the screws holding the storage compartment - but it did not want to come out. The lid latch receiver seemed to be attached under the compartment and didn't want to pull out. Is there some trick to remove this?

It's a stinker :-). You'll just have to pry it out. Sometimes they break, sometimes not.

If I get the compartment out is it just a matter of removing the screw above the window switches, pulling the plugs and then remove the wood panel?

All that plus remove the ashtray frames (two screws under each ashtray) and the rubber at the bottom of the shift quadrant.

In thinking about it I'm not 100% sure the ashtray frames need to be removed. Put that down as a "maybe". It's been a couple years since I've had to do this.....

Cheers
DD

jaguarjerry 08-30-2011 12:17 PM

Thanks again Doug. I did remove one ashtray frame and I think that was a mistake as the bracket that the 2 screws go into fell off. It seems it was installed on the under side of the wood panel before the panel was installed into the console.
Anyway, thanks again - I'll try to get in there and see what's going on with the shift lever.

jaguarjerry 09-29-2011 12:40 PM

Hello again. Many thanks to Doug for his great info about my jammed shifter. After opening the center console I found the shifter cable was indeed seized. I'll have to replace it with another used one I've found. Not sure why this happend - the cable does move back and forth but only about 1/2". Seems the cable may have a kink in it somewhere.
My thanks again to Doug for his great advice.