Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   '86 XJ6 just died (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/86-xj6-just-died-151179/)

kc5uzd 10-08-2015 10:12 AM

'86 XJ6 just died

This morning, I started my '86 XJ6 Series III. It was making a rattling noise with a slight hum, like maybe the power steering pump was dying. As I got a little ways down the road, it was getting louder. No change in power, RPM's or engine temp. About 2 miles away & it started sounding like there was a chunk of sheet metal in the fan. I pulled over, killed it & opened the bonnet for a look-see. Nothing. No indication that anything was wrong. Going to start it back up & find where the noise is exactly... but all it does is click once. Oddly enough, the speedometer is on 150 mph. I don't know when it got there. Also, I have a new Optima battery. I'm sure there's juice in it. What to do??

JagCad 10-08-2015 11:09 AM

Clue:

The speedo isa stuck at 150!! AKA pegged at max read1 As it is electric, that suggests an electric issue. No crank and a bunch of noise suggests mechanical woes.

A connection? Guess. At the transducer on the transmission?

1. Even though the Optima is new check it's voltage and it's connections.

2. Sudden thought. The starter tried to crank a running engine. Been there.

3. Jump 12v to the small post on the starter solenoid. Will that cause the starter to crank the engine? If so, relay failure? Failed in two modes? closed then open?

4. Get a big wrench on the crank snout. will the engine turn or is it stuck. The latter obviously, not good.

5. Oil level?

Objectives:

1. Resolve any electrical issues.

2. Resolve any mechanical issues.

WAG: Diode issue. Juice in the wrong place at the wrong time. Been there!!!

Carl

Doug 10-08-2015 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by kc5uzd (Post 1324025)
This morning, I started my '86 XJ6 Series III. It was making a rattling noise with a slight hum, like maybe the power steering pump was dying. As I got a little ways down the road, it was getting louder. No change in power, RPM's or engine temp. About 2 miles away & it started sounding like there was a chunk of sheet metal in the fan. I pulled over, killed it & opened the bonnet for a look-see. Nothing. No indication that anything was wrong.

Alternator seizing up/failing internally....and no longer charging. Lots of noise, battery becomes drained?

Just a guess at this point

I agree with Carl---make sure battery has oomph and go from there

Cheers
DD

Jag-o-nomic 10-09-2015 01:52 AM

Hi KC

Just throwing another option, which Jags are good at doing.

Do you have an air pump, also known as a smog pump fitted?

It is located above the a/c compressor, which in turn sits on top of the alternator.

Shot bearings in that do make an awful racket, I can attest to that as that is what happened to me.

Honestly, I thought the cam chain had let go is was that noisy.

Cheers,

Nigel