XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

'87 XJ6, Tracing wires using S 57 Manual.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '87 XJ6, Tracing wires using S 57 Manual.

Hello Friends,
I've been trying to solve a running rich and missing problem for quite some time, but right now, I will jump right to a specific part of my troubleshooting.
I'm checking continuity on all of the wires shown on figure 24.1 of the S 57 manual. In the center of the diagram is the Diode Pack alongside the Main relay, and Pump relay. I have disconnected the battery, removed the doide pack, and both relays.
A continuity check using a digital ohmmeter between terminal 4 of the diode pack, and terminal 86 of the main relay indicates full open-no continuity. On the diagram it looks simple. One white wire between the two units, but under the hood(bonnet, sorry) the white wire from each unit disappears into two separate looms. where do they go, and is there something tied in between them? I was considering using a jumper wire directly between them to see if that would improve the engine miss, but chances are that could be very bad.
Can anyone out there offer any suggestions?
Thanx so much for listening!
George

Old 06-13-2014, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,547 Likes on 4,859 Posts

Originally Posted by George M. View Post
One white wire between the two units, but under the hood(bonnet, sorry) the white wire from each unit disappears into two separate looms. where do they go, and is there something tied in between them?

I'm not aware of anything between the two points but a bigger question is how the engine runs at all with no power to energize the main relay. Something else is afoot, methinks

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
George M. (06-13-2014)
Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I'm not aware of anything between the two points but a bigger question is how the engine runs at all with no power to energize the main relay. Something else is afoot, methinks

Cheers
DD
Thanx Doug!

I see what you mean. I'll dig a little deeper this weekend.
George

Old 06-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Doug View Post

Cheers
DD
Ok. I hooked everything back up, and then I measured voltage from terminal 4 of the diode pack and got 11.95 Volts.
Then, I measured voltage from terminal 86 of the main relay and got 11.61 volts. ( IGN key to position 2).
At least I know I have power. Why no continuity between the two terminals? I'll never know.
I'm now testing the diode pack. I'll share results on a new blog.
Thanx again,
George