Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Adding an electric cooling fan to my XJ6C (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/adding-electric-cooling-fan-my-xj6c-179348/)

yachtmanbuttson 04-04-2017 11:21 AM

Adding an electric cooling fan to my XJ6C

Anybody have any experience adding an electric cooling fan to a Series II XJ6C. She runs a little warm if not hot when running the A/C down here in Florida.

icsamerica 04-04-2017 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson (Post 1652301)
Anybody have any experience adding an electric cooling fan to a Series II XJ6C. She runs a little warm if not hot when running the A/C down here in Florida.

you may want to consider retrofitting a thermostatic clutch fan from a series 3. Also make sure the Exhilarate Pusher fan that's in front of the radiator operates when it's supposed to.
You also may want to remove the radiator and clean out any sediment that has settled at the bottom. The sediment can greatly restrict flow

yachtmanbuttson 04-04-2017 01:48 PM

What's the principal behind a "thermostatic clutch fan". There doesn't seem to be much room (2 1/4") in front of the radiator and the sheet metal of the closed hood (bonnet). Point taken on the radiator sediment.

anjum 04-04-2017 10:29 PM

It's the series 3 equivalent of the mechanical viscous coupled fan fitted to early series 2 and series 2 fans AFAIK, so doesn't take up any more space than the stock mechanical system. Basicly it stiffens up as the temperature increase so the fan spins quicker or slips less.

Ron62 04-05-2017 12:13 AM

Adding an electric fan is easy. They are cheap on Ebay and a thermostat is an easy fit to. Had it on my Triumph Herald, added two on my Toyota MR2 and have one on my XJ6C. Works fine and is highly recommended. But a radiatior flush first is advised.

JagCad 04-05-2017 06:16 AM

I did it again. I created what I thought was a good informative post. Slipped and hit a "wrong' key and it vanished.

Short version.

1. The SIII cars have an electric fan down low in front of the radiator an AC condensor. I have one, left over from my lump process. If you want it, let me know. Free, just pay the postage.

2. The space between the radiator and AC condensor as well as the front of the radiator catch a lot of dead bugs and other road debris. Cleaning them makes a big difference in cooling.

Carl

yachtmanbuttson 04-05-2017 07:29 AM

Fantastic! I'd be happy to pay postage. Just let me know how. I'm at:

Bill Watson
Stuart Yacht Sales
450 SW Salerno Road
Stuart, FL 34997

yachtmanbuttson 04-05-2017 07:30 AM

Thank you everyone for your responses. You are always a help.

JagCad 04-05-2017 07:49 AM

Bill:

I'll pack it up and get it on it's way in a couple of days. Then, we will know how much USPS postage is.

A couple of other "projects" gotta take precedent.

1. Put my daughter's Passat back together.
2. siphon off about 3/4 of a tank of fuel from my Jeep. Son has agreed to swap in a new fuel pump. It is already tail high on ramps !!

Carl

yachtmanbuttson 04-05-2017 08:03 AM

Good on you. Family first.

Doug 04-05-2017 08:12 AM

I agree with others....makes sure the radiator isn't internally or externally blocked...or both. You can add 6 electric fans but that won't fix a clogged radiator!

Cheers
DD

Doug 04-05-2017 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by anjum (Post 1652848)
It's the series 3 equivalent of the mechanical viscous coupled fan fitted to early series 2 and series 2 fans AFAIK, so doesn't take up any more space than the stock mechanical system. Basicly it stiffens up as the temperature increase so the fan spins quicker or slips less.

Right.

And the thermo-type fan clutch as used on Series IIIs after circa 1982 can be easily identified by the 4-bolt mounting to the water pump and the little thermo-coil spring on the forward face of the clutch.

The earlier, non-thermo-type fan clutch uses a single bolt mounting to the water pump. The non-thermal clutch is designed to be 'stiff' at all times but allowed slip when xxx-rpm is reached

Changing from one type to the other means, at minimum, a different water pump. Possibly different fan as well...as I'm pretty sure the bolt patterns for the early-vs-late fans were different.

Either type is OK, IMHO.....if working properly. Neither type will work if worn out and not engaging....or 'stiffening up'.

Cheers
DD

sanchez 04-05-2017 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of my 84 Jag with two electric fans fitted.
Original fan eliminated due to clutch failure.
Had these sitting around and installed them. No problems since installed.
Runs below the 90C mark with the AC 'on' in traffic. Fan to the right is controlled via thermal switch on radiator and the one to the left is activated when the AC is turned on.
I have also installed two on '85 lump.

yachtmanbuttson 04-06-2017 01:19 PM

Anybody have any experience with "re-coring" a radiator? If I get it out, I might as well do the job right. Or replace it with some aluminum oversize one? Guidance please.

JagCad 04-07-2017 09:41 AM

The short and direct is to find a local radiator shop. Not easy, a vanishing business.

Get a pride for a test and recommendation. A simple boil out can do the job. The old days of "rodding" are just about gone. A brutal process that older cores just could not take.

A quality recore using the same tanks works almost all the time. Rare instances when the tanks are just too brittle. All cores are not alike. Modern ones are better.

Your fan is in a box on my dining room table. I'll cut down the box to size, pack the fan, attach labels and get it on it's way, more than likely Monday.

Carl

yachtmanbuttson 04-07-2017 11:01 AM

Many thanks. I've got new information that you may be able to help enlighten me with. There is some A/C radiator sitting in front of the actual engine cooling radiator. See pics. I don't know enough about A/C's to know it's function. But I'm sure you do. Do all XJ6's have these. It takes up a lot of space that may infringe on electric fans? If I remove the radiator to have it cleaned, or recored, or there is an aluminum one out on EBay right now for an XJ6 for $75 (which seems like a reasonable deal), do I have to disconnect this A/C radiator, or will it just swing out of the way. I assume removing the front bonnet/hood would make the job easier?

JagCad 04-07-2017 01:15 PM

Only a bit on AC. If your AC is charged with gas and oil, it is an issue. It must be evacuated if any connections of hoses is to be done. If your AC has been dormant for a long period, years, it has most likely lost all it's charge. And the hoses can be safely parted. Simplified version of how to deal with AC.

The bonnet is heavy and unweildy. I got mine off alone. But, when time came to replace it. It took two guys and a gal!!! Clearly removing the radiator with the bonnet off is far easier. I put a soft blanket atop my car and the bonnet rested there during the long lumping process. Up side down, to avoid marring stuff. It was a good place to put light stuff that was bound to go back in.

At the front left of the car is a "monkey motion" device that stabilizes the bonnet while open. but, also limits how far it will open. Mine was removed by me. I don't miss it at all. I use a couple of dedicated props for safety while my head is in the engine bay.

Now, the fan that I am sending you bolts to a cross piece down and low on the left.
That same cross piece secured the engine oil cooler. Not used any more by me. It departed along with the busted I6. This fan is a supplement to the mechanical fan on the water pump. Not near big enough to use as a primary fan in lieu of the mechanical. In the I6 mode, it has an after run feature. Shut the engine down and the fan runs for a short period to defeat a heat sink issue.

Should you choose to go to Efans in lieu of the mechanical, they fit behind the core. In the space formerly occupied by the mechanical fan and it's shroud.

As to the alloy swap. Some say, best thing since sliced bread. Others not so much.

My neighbor has been tidying up a nice 89 Toyota pick up. Went for an Ebay sourced alloy radiator. A very nice looking unit, to replace the original brass one. The original had a small leak... Oh..... although the alloy unit was supposedly dedicated for that truck, it was just a little over an inch too tall. Just enough not to fit in the available space. Back to the drawing boards for him....

Carl

yachtmanbuttson 04-08-2017 07:02 AM

The current one on EBay says it was in a Series 1 so should bold directly into my Series II.

Welded Aluminum Radiator for Jaguar XJ6 Series 3. | eBay

JagCad 04-08-2017 08:16 AM

It might just fit ands be a neat installation. But, why not ask the seller for dimensions, then compare to the space in your car. Length, width and thickness.

Space in the critters is tight. An inch can mean a lot.

Your fan is all packed up and on my dinning room table. My dear departed would've "counseled" me !!

I plan errands on Monday, the USPS being one stop. Same shopping center as the market I frequent for "vittles".

All six spark plugs installed "hand tight". No stripped threads, yowee. Put the 3/8" driven deep socket and seat them. Then, the plug wires. Order to be triple checked.
And, then a few little fasteners. crank up time in site.

Carl

Doug 04-08-2017 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson (Post 1654608)
There is some A/C radiator sitting in front of the actual engine cooling radiator. See pics. I don't know enough about A/C's to know it's function. But I'm sure you do. Do all XJ6's have these. It takes up a lot of space that may infringe on electric fans?

That's the A/C condenser. It can stay in place

If I remove the radiator to have it cleaned, or recored, or there is an aluminum one out on EBay right now for an XJ6 for $75 (which seems like a reasonable deal), do I have to disconnect this A/C radiator, or will it just swing out of the way. I assume removing the front bonnet/hood would make the job easier?

Removing the hood makes the job much easier but then you have to fuss with alignment on reinstallation.

The 'monkey' mechanism (good description, Carl) can be disconnected to allow the hood to open further for more working room. That seems like a good compromise to me. Don't let it mash the front bumper, tho ! And extra pair of hands is useful. A radiator is an unwieldy thing

Many have used aluminum radiators with good results but I'm always a bit nervous about too-good-to-be-true prices. That's a judgement call on your part. If it turns out to be sub-standard (maybe, maybe not) what's your tolerance for re-doing the job?

Cheers
DD