Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   air filter box removal xj series II (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/air-filter-box-removal-xj-series-ii-119311/)

Anfield Dreaming 06-06-2014 07:19 AM

air filter box removal xj series II

2 Attachment(s)
Hello people
Just looking at doing a engine bay tidy up and would love to get rid of the big air box and replacing with a couple of round filters directly off the carburetors. Anyone has experience of doing this pitfalls etc and what should I be looking for I have included a pic I found off the web
Thanks

Noah 06-06-2014 08:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a pair of round filters off of ebay for stromberg cd175 but haven't put them on yet. They look just like the ones XKs unlimited sell, but a bit cheaper - $45 for the pair. This is the Xks version:

17-0885 - Air Filter Foam Type; 1-3/4" Zenith/Stromberg

There was a post on here, can't find it at the moment, with some discussion of using these and pros/cons versus the air box, including hotter air using the dual filters. The general consensus was thumbs up if I recall. I'll see if I can find it again.

o1xjr 06-06-2014 09:22 AM

No experiecne but the picture makes me want a pair for "Fireball"
Keep us updated with a part number,link or ebay listing when you find something. I don't think I'll be far behind you.
Although that original is a good looking piece of kit too.lol

If you don't know why my car is called "Fireball" (long and drawn out saga),see link below.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...m-fire-115245/

:icon_flamethrow:

JagCad 06-06-2014 10:08 AM

Those sure do look much better than the air box. I think the air box did have some functions. Cooler air, sound and possibly carb balance.

Well, my lump wears a cone type dry filter in the bay. Balance not an issue, but sound and air temp are. But, on balance, I like it. Unless, i have my ears on, makes no difference as to that.

Now, way back, little filters were available for multicarb after market manifolds for V8's and sixes of various specie. some studies indicated these looked good, but breathed poorly.

Might consider the restrictive aspect, how, I dunno!!!

Carl

Napoleon Solo 06-07-2014 01:46 AM

12 Attachment(s)
That's my car!!
I had the same thoughts when I put them on. I have twin HS8 carbs with K&N filters. I had to fabricate a spacer in the same shape as the carb gasket to align the securing nuts/rods. I had the leaper and lettering laser etched onto the covers. It's all pretty clean.
I cut up and rewelded the top of the core support where the rest of the tubing goes through but in hindsight I think a series I core support is a bolt on without the protrusion.

Anfield Dreaming 06-07-2014 04:56 AM

Cheers for the info I think is definitely on the to do list

o1xjr 06-07-2014 05:24 AM

Yep,me too

Anfield Dreaming 06-07-2014 07:16 AM

Cheers for the info I think its definitely on the to do list what did you do with the various hoses that are connected to the airbox Napoleon? Also another thing I noticed my engine has a "brace" over the head in the centre of the block yours doesn't did you remove it?

Napoleon Solo 06-07-2014 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Anfield Dreaming (Post 990967)
Cheers for the info I think its definitely on the to do list what did you do with the various hoses that are connected to the airbox Napoleon? Also another thing I noticed my engine has a "brace" over the head in the centre of the block yours doesn't did you remove it?

I did remove it. It's the hot air tube that comes from the exhaust manifolds to the AED and carbs for engine start up idle. Don't need it. I also removed the shroud on the exhaust manifold side that it connected to but I may have something fabricated although it looks fine as is.
I don't really remember any hoses attached aside from the corrugated pipe feeding air in. There aren't any vacuum lines or anything of importance there from what I remember.

Anfield Dreaming 06-07-2014 04:23 PM

So no cold starting issues without the aed?

Napoleon Solo 06-07-2014 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Anfield Dreaming (Post 991224)
So no cold starting issues without the aed?

The AED was long gone when I bought the car. I have a manual choke on my XJ so I just enrich the startup mixture that way. I understand the AED's were usually problematic to begin with. So I've heard.

o1xjr 06-08-2014 02:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have manual chokes too, absolutely nothing connected to air filter box. Cold start is perfect...but it is winter and 23c here today.
Attachment 87233

Anfield Dreaming 06-08-2014 04:31 AM

Hmm I have manual choke but they were fitted by the previous owner. Napoleon have you got a picture of the heat shield removed on the exhaust header side just to see what it looks like cheers. I think were making progress lol

Napoleon Solo 06-08-2014 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
exhaust side....

Anfield Dreaming 06-08-2014 02:32 PM

Wow thats way better then expected it's coming off as soon as I can work out what to do lol

Napoleon Solo 06-09-2014 12:06 AM

Presently my 4.2 is apart waiting for a rebuild (cylinder wall cracks) which may be awhile since I changed focus to my Oldsmobile coupe.
Those exhaust manifolds have been blasted and coated with high temp paint. Next time it will be ceramic coating to try and keep the heat down. Perhaps phenolic gaskets too...

o1xjr 06-09-2014 01:39 AM

That is one good looking engine bay,just that one blue ht lead looks out of place. lol
The only good looking parts in mine are the new idle and mixture screws.

Napoleon Solo 06-10-2014 12:42 AM

A brief engine bay intro

2 Attachment(s)
That blue HT lead was an afterthought when I was setting things up. I never liked how the HT leads crossed over the Jaguar logo on the cam cover so I custom made my own wire separators and cut my own HT leads bringing them through the center. I blasted and powdercoated the cam covers then had the machine shop mill a mm off to reveal the aluminium. As on the K&N filters I also had the leaper laser etched on the cover where a sticker normally goes.
Little personal touches. I must have miscut my red HT wire but had a blue handy...

My engine bay when I bought the car was fairly grody...

switcharoo 06-10-2014 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
no better feeling than having a car with twin carbs and dual filters
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1402431246
now if only the engine bay of my jag looked as cool as this

o1xjr 06-11-2014 01:44 AM

8 Attachment(s)

That blue HT lead was an afterthought when I was setting things up. I never liked how the HT leads crossed over the Jaguar logo on the cam cover so I custom made my own wire separators and cut my own HT leads bringing them through the center. I blasted and powdercoated the cam covers then had the machine shop mill a mm off to reveal the aluminium. As on the K&N filters I also had the leaper laser etched on the cover where a sticker normally goes.
Little personal touches. I must have miscut my red HT wire but had a blue handy...

My engine bay when I bought the car was fairly grody...
Hi Napoleon, I see what you mean about the leads covering the Jag logo(that is now going to annoy me until I do something about it). And that laser etching looks great.
This is what my engine bay looks like after I have had a tidy up of gunk and wiring. Still a lot to do but I drive it every day so for now it is staying that way.
Attachment 87549Attachment 87550Attachment 87551Attachment 87552