Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Air Filter change (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/air-filter-change-210914/)

chrisleg 11-20-2018 09:36 PM

Air Filter change

Hi all!

I am looking at the air filter and its looking a little dirty. Not crazy but some dirt for sure. I cant say for sure when the last time it was changed.

I figure they cant be that expensive so I am just going to get a new one rather than try and clean the old one out.

What brands would be best and from what site? I have seen a couple on ebay by Purolater and or course the WIX one. Purolater on the ebay seems cheapest though. There is also a K&N but they seem super expensive. Do i need these??

Tyrig to save some pennies for christmas so any info that would help i would greatly appreciate!

Chris

Doug 11-20-2018 09:57 PM

Purolator, Wix, Delco, Mann, Beck Arnley....any of those usual brands should be fine

Wix filter and NAPA are usually the same, just a different package....so your local NAPA auto parts should be able to fix you up. Take the WIX number, drop the fist digit, and there's your NAPA number !

Cheers
DD

chrisleg 11-20-2018 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1991487)
Purolator, Wix, Delco, Mann, Beck Arnley....any of those usual brands should be fine

Wix filter and NAPA are usually the same, just a different package....so your local NAPA auto parts should be able to fix you up. Take the WIX number, drop the fist digit, and there's your NAPA number !

Cheers
DD

hi Doug!
great! I have a napa near by so will trek over tomorrow.

On a slight tangent. Why is the K&N so expensive????

Doug 11-20-2018 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by chrisleg (Post 1991490)

On a slight tangent. Why is the K&N so expensive????

Lifetime filter. They're actually washable. Might be worth the money if you lived in very dusty conditions which mandate frequent filter replacement. In some cases/applications they offer a bit more power. I've used 'em in various Jags and noticed only a very slight difference; possibly imaginary.

Cheers
DD

Jose 11-21-2018 04:30 AM

I just saw a testing of air filters in youtube using a dyno. The K&N filter increased horsepower and torque significantly over the stock air filters. In fact the stock air filters turn out to be restrictive.

Second to the K&N in performance was CarQuest's Premium air filter.

my conclusion is: don't waste the money on a stock air filter.

https://youtu.be/GS69owXpGdY

Doug 11-21-2018 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1991557)
I just saw a testing of air filters in youtube using a dyno. The K&N filter increased horsepower and torque significantly over the stock air filters. In fact the stock air filters turn out to be restrictive.

Second to the K&N in performance was CarQuest's Premium air filter.

my conclusion is: don't waste the money on a stock air filter.

https://youtu.be/GS69owXpGdY

Right, an improvement of 2%-3%.....which I describe as a 'slight difference' and you describe as 'significant' . It's all in the eye of the beholder, I reckon :)

Cheers
DD

Jose 11-21-2018 09:38 AM

if you add fat tires to the 2-3% of the K&N air filter, you get a total 5-6% improvement.
With these heavy cars, even a 1% improvement is satisfying.
If you delete the cats, that's another 1-2% improvement, so every slight difference adds up.

chrisleg 11-21-2018 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1991634)
if you add fat tires to the 2-3% of the K&N air filter, you get a total 5-6% improvement.
If you delete the cats, that's another 1-2% improvement, so every slight difference adds up.

hi Jose

interesting. I was reading up on the k&n and what pipped my interest was the fact that it can be cleaned. We get a lot of dust and pollen here and if it can save me some $ down the road then even better.

is there any ssues with size and fitting? I read somewhere that it was a slightly tighter fit than stock?

Doug 11-21-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1991634)

Agreed that little things can add up.

If you can actually feel a 1% improvement your senses are much more finely honed than mine :)

Not sure how fat tires add horsepower. You'll have to explain that one to me !

Cheers
DD

JagCad 11-21-2018 10:51 AM

Another detailed post gone....

Bottom line effort.

Dust, blow or vacuum it off.

Spend the pennies on Christmas...

Jose 11-21-2018 12:08 PM

Chris, the K&N air filter costs more because it is a better filter. It is also forever, you never have to replace it again. It comes with a tube of sealing oil and a sticker for the filter canister warning any mechanic to not replace it.
If I remember correctly, the part number is 2871 but don't hold me to that. I did not have any fitting issues, but it is a more hefty filter than any other paper filter.

go to www.k&n.com and search for the 4.2 liter jaguar air filter.

sov211 11-21-2018 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1991666)
Another detailed post gone....

Bottom line effort.

Dust, blow or vacuum it off.

Spend the pennies on Christmas...

Absolutely correct. My procedure: remove the filter. Open a newspaper page fully. Vigorously tap the filter from various angles. Be amazed at the amount of sand, dirt, bugs, fluff that have just been removed from the filter. Reinstall the filter when no more debris can be removed. Job done. Replace the filter periodically - when light can no longer easily be seen through the element - that is when it is no longer serviceable (few of us have air-flow measuring devices).
The notion that a particular aftermarket brand of cleanable filter is in any measurable or effective way superior...well, it defies logic because if better filtration consistent with adequate air flow requirements were obtainable, do you not think that even ONE automobile manufacturer would use such a system as OEM?
Air filters certainly can and do vary in quality (just as oil filters do)...but the premium brands and the OEM suppliers' products are not only affordable, they also have been proven to work well...if they were in any way detrimental to the performance or longevity of the engines, they would not be specified. And when we have spent an excessive amount of money for an "improvement" our brains tell us what we so desperately want to hear - that the money has not been wasted. Thus the "1% improvement".

Jose 11-21-2018 12:18 PM

Doug, around 1992, Road & Track magazine did a study on fat tires versus stock thinner tires. They used sport cars and everyday land yatchs, changing their tires with fat ones after testing the cars with their factory reccomended tires.

the conclusion was that the more rubber on the pavement the faster the acceleration from zero. Braking and cornering was also improved with fat tires.

After that, I went and installed P235-60-15 Dunlops in my '84 XJ and indeed the acceleration from zero was improved, not to mention the cornering, the car sticks to curves at high speeds without much effort, and it also assumed a lower stance which helps in cornering.

chrisleg 11-21-2018 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1991700)
Chris, the K&N air filter costs more because it is a better filter. It is also forever, you never have to replace it again. It comes with a tube of sealing oil and a sticker for the filter canister warning any mechanic to not replace it.
If I remember correctly, the part number is 2871 but don't hold me to that. I did not have any fitting issues, but it is a more hefty filter than any other paper filter.

go to www.k&n.com and search for the 4.2 liter jaguar air filter.

Hi Jose

Did some searching and found

???

Jose 11-21-2018 01:55 PM

Chris, that's the one. p/n 2350. That price is great, I have seen them for $72.00 + Shipping. (I have no clue why p/n 2871 came to mind, maybe that number is the one for my Ford minivan which has one too).

will your XJ take off like a Lamborghini? NYET !.
but you'll get a little better gas mileage and a little better acceleration from a stop.

Doug 11-21-2018 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1991706)
Doug, around 1992, Road & Track magazine did a study on fat tires versus stock thinner tires. They used sport cars and everyday land yatchs, changing their tires with fat ones after testing the cars with their factory reccomended tires.

the conclusion was that the more rubber on the pavement the faster the acceleration from zero. Braking and cornering was also improved with fat tires.

That's pretty vague.

All fatter tires? Or just some? Are all fatter tires better than any skinnier tire?

After that, I went and installed P235-60-15 Dunlops in my '84 XJ and indeed the acceleration from zero was improved,

What's the explanation for this? How was it measured? Why would a wider tire improve acceleration? (Unless, of course, you're burning rubber....which hurts acceleration)

not to mention the cornering, the car sticks to curves at high speeds without much effort, and it also assumed a lower stance which helps in cornering.
Oh, I get that. More rubber on the road, etc.

If you're breaking traction on acceleration (in a Series III XJ6? Not likely) then you're hurting acceleration. Better traction from fatter tires would then help, obviously.

Earlier I thought you were saying that the fatter tires increase horsepower....which isn't true, obviously.

Cheers
DD

chrisleg 11-21-2018 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1991749)
Chris, that's the one. p/n 2350. That price is great, I have seen them for $72.00 + Shipping. (I have no clue why p/n 2871 came to mind, maybe that number is the one for my Ford minivan which has one too).

will your XJ take off like a Lamborghini? NYET !.
but you'll get a little better gas mileage and a little better acceleration from a stop.

I checked their site and got the number. It's actually the same price on the K&N site but I figure was buying a few things on prime so why not check

:)

Dutch-Cat 11-30-2018 07:31 AM

I have been using K&N filters in all of my vehicles since I started driving, back in 1992.
Especially on good old carburator engines, a well tuned carb in combination with a K&N filter can improve the performance dramatically.
My 2007 V-Max does best on K&N's.

For my SIII V12, I first bought stock filters, but will be swapping them for K&N once they are due...

Jose 11-30-2018 07:52 AM

K&N air filters allow more air into the combustion, that is how I understand it, in my fuel injected XJ it took a few drives for the system or ECU to re-calibrate itself ( ? ) to the change of more incoming air. Whether that resulted in increased engine performance or "breathing", I don't know, but it made a believer of me.
I CAN say that it is the one modification that resulted in more perceived power.

so I may be imagining Chariots in the sky? In that case, bring me MORE Chariots like the K&N Air filter ! Not to mention it is an item I will never have to worry again.

By the way, I am trying to convince K&N to manufacture air filters for the 1963-1968 3.8 liter S type. They are open-minded, young blood over at K&N. Anything that will make 'em more dinero baby!

Doug 11-30-2018 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 1995230)
K&N air filters allow more air into the combustion, that is how I understand it, in my fuel injected XJ it took a few drives for the system or ECU to re-calibrate itself ( ? ) to the change of more incoming air. Whether that resulted in increased engine performance or "breathing", I don't know,

The ECUs on these cars do no re-calibrate themselves; there's no "re-learn" capability

but it made a believer of me.
I CAN say that it is the one modification that resulted in more perceived power.
Well, which is it? More actual power, or more perceived power? :)

so I may be imagining Chariots in the sky? In that case, bring me MORE Chariots like the K&N Air filter !
In reality the K&N probably did result in a bit more power. Less restrictive air intake typically does. Personally, when I've used K&N, I was hard-pressed to feel the improvement. Maybe a bit more at upper ranges, over 4000 RPM or so. So, yes, I questioned if I was was simply feeling what I wanted to feel.

Not to mention it is an item I will never have to worry again.
I don't know about 'worry'. But, you'll never have to buy a new filter again. :)

So much depends on individual circumstances. In my driving environment an air filter lasts for years so the expense of replacement really isn't a concern. If I was driving down dirty, dusty roads every day it might be a different story. But, then again, if that was the case, I might be more concerned about maximum filtering ability and less concerned about more power or saving money.

Cheers
DD