Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Air flow meter, vacuum leak, and rich running (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/air-flow-meter-vacuum-leak-rich-running-122882/)

Darrenmb 07-27-2014 05:53 PM

Air flow meter, vacuum leak, and rich running

Ok, stick with me here, its gonna draw on a bit.....

This has all happened since the head gasket, so its quite possible i have just forgotten to hook something up somewhere, but i see no undone stuff other that what i will list here!
Car seemed to be running pretty decently so i thought i would turn on ac to see how idle would be, didnt seem too bad at all, i was quite happy with it! notived however that air was blowing out defroster vents instead of dash vents, Vacuum leak was the first thing that came to mind! After digging around for a bit i found a nipple on bottom underside of intake ( not the one that points down, the one that points to engine near back) that had nothing on it and the T from the bottom had come off too!
I noticed i had more vac at teh one facing the engine, so i figured ( as most would) the more vacuum i have the better the flaps and such will work for teh ac!!! how wrong could i be?????? car would hardly stay running and was billowing black smoke!!!!

Ok, so i undid that and it seemed to idle out a bit better, now i hook the T back up there where it was and just by plugging the no free hanging hose i can make car run instantly rich!, seems odd that car runs better with vac leak, ok, into the air flow meter i go!!!, I pop the top off and nothing looks amiss in there!!!, now i start to tinker!! if i physically move the arm back towards closed idle smooths out, and now i can plug the vac line and everything's just fine!!! so i adjust the arm to sit just past the contacts being open for fuel pump at idle and shes running great!!! so i shut it off and am about to seal teh box back when i figure i better check everything one more time! now however the sweeping arm is no longer sitting on the contact strip and you can feel it actually click when it has to climb up onto it!! Well that cant be good!!!
so i set it back to where it was and figure maybe i can simply adjust teh big spring! make it harder to open and it wont go as far, worked great but then it wouldn't rev up freely, you could feel it really hesitating!! so everything is back as it was before i started!!! I have no clue what to check next!!!
I have physically disconnected the power to the cold start injector thinking that maybe it was firing, but makes no difference!!

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated here!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Darren

P.S. i have posted this same thing on several forum's hoping to pick as many brains as possible! and will be checking them every time my hands are clean enough to get near my wife's laptop without getting read the riot act!! :)

Darrenmb 07-27-2014 10:05 PM

Had a couple of ideas, did no good though! thought the air filter may have been blocked, but pulling entire thing from front of air flow meter didn't change anything! also thought it may have been cts related, so i swapped it out with a spare i had and still no change!! come on folks! im countin on ya!!