AJ6 engine into XJC ( XJ6 series 2 )

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Whew, major undertaking. Kudos. I've built a couple of cars from scratch,
but, each was far simpler.

The only thing that came close, and that is an over statement,
is the installation of the Cadillac V8 and transmission in my S3.
From fairly simple electronics to fairly complex ones.

Lottsa guidance from many places!!!

One thing that might help is the ignition key thing. My
Cadillac PCM had VATS. The chip in the ignition key system.
In my case it was defeated by reprograming the PCM. CA
SMOG guys "frown" on messing with the PCM. But, how could they know? And and an average SMOG tech could not care.

Another way is a "generic black box" that mimics the chip's limited resistance values. About the size of a domino!!! OK for GM, don't know
as to the Jaguar ECU. The pricnciples might be the same, but the values different.

Idea, measure the chip's ohms!!! Add in a resistor to match.

Carl

Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Received 218 Likes on 138 Posts
Smile hello Jim,

This looks so familiar but the brake booster is on the other side of car. As to your question about the clutch master cylinder and the brake booster, Oh yes, try and lift the booster out after all and see if it drops in. A little bit of fitting and see how the pedals clear the toe box. I see you got the harness for the engine. Did you get the ECM I hope? Good thing you sent this out, I'm suppose to send you some schematic's. Larry

Old 05-26-2016, 02:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi JagCad

I think its a bit more complicated than a resistance on the security transducer for the Jag , I believe its a two way exchange of codes, I do have an oscilloscope so can check that out when the time comes though. I will probably just tape the key to the transducer for now !

Old 05-26-2016, 02:05 AM

Hi Larry

Well I have the XJ40 pedal box and its no way going to fit, the angle on the bottom is different and the holes on the car completely different. I want to keep the XJC shell entirely original , with it being such a good one, so dont want to cut holes....... however I think the XJ40 clutch pedal and master cyl can be made to fit..... Watch this space

If you could send the schematics I would be grateful

Jim

Old 05-28-2016, 02:54 AM

Started building the exhaust system, I thought the XJS over axle pipe would be similar to the XJC one....... WRONG !!<br/><br/>Totally different

Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 AM

After MUCH cutting welding fabrication..... 2 days !<br/>Even had to make a different mounting system as the standard 'short tube' woldnt allow the pipe over the axle ( and was in wrong place<br/><br/>Still not quite there, pity the XJC ( Series2 ) ones were not available

Old 05-28-2016, 03:00 AM

Anyway, I am running with just the two

'mid ' boxes and no rear silencers, has anyone else done this ? I am wondering how it will sound ( I am a long way from running the engine )

Old 05-28-2016, 03:02 AM

I have taken the two front 'cats' away as apart from being a restriction, the front one was touching the metal pipes on the power steering

Old 05-30-2016, 03:09 PM

new metal box for getrag 290 gearshift

Its a tight fit

Old 06-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Received 218 Likes on 138 Posts

Hello Jim, Please resend your mailing address so I can get those schematic's of to you again. I don't remember where I put it last time. Larry at nfishw@aol.com

Old 06-09-2016, 02:41 AM

So started making the exhaust system, using just the mid boxes from a XJ12 , some pipes from the local factors ,I bought the over axle pipes for a XJS V12 , thinking they would be similar... they are not ! ended up just using them as a source of bends, took 4 days to make the exhaust and mounts, alot more work than you think

Old 06-09-2016, 02:42 AM
Old 06-09-2016, 02:43 AM

These are all the parts ( just tacked together )

Old 06-09-2016, 02:44 AM

went for the original front pipe after taking the cats off and straight piping them, then a 2 1/4 pipe to two 2" pipes then 1 3/4" pipes over axle then sleeved up to two 2 1/4 " pipes out of the rear . New mounts all the way to the rear ! just used the standard body mounts at the very back , the rest is hung on a custom mount on the prop bearing plate.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:45 AM

The rear axle was removed to fit the LSD I purchased,

Old 06-09-2016, 02:49 AM

so glad I did, it turns out the 'refurbished' rear axle consisted of a coat of paint and new discs nad copper brake pipes ! all rubbers are shot, but painted in a very nice black paint<br/>

Old 06-09-2016, 02:51 AM

<br/><br/>So now a job I did not want to do, a full rear axle rebuild, worse still the front is the same, even has a seized caliper ( with very nice silver paint on it) , this has really knocked me back time wise

Old 06-09-2016, 02:54 AM

car back to no axles, I feel like the last 5 weeks full time work has been a complete waste of time as I am now further back ( and poorer) than when I started

Old 06-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim G
So started making the exhaust system, using just the mid boxes from a XJ12 , some pipes from the local factors ,I bought the over axle pipes for a XJS V12 , thinking they would be similar... they are not ! ended up just using them as a source of bends, took 4 days to make the exhaust and mounts, alot more work than you think
@Jim G

Yes, in out XJ12C restoration we found exactly the same thing, ie the coupe over axle pipes are bespoke and nothing else Jaguar will fit directly. And of course the pipes are unobtainium. Front pipes before the middle boxes are also no longer available. Our mid pipes were from an XJ12L, but shortened, and a mess. We threw everything back in and did some (horrendous) welding to get the car mobile, but I will have to go back and get the whole system replaced at some point.

We have the rear resonators deleted and on the V12 it adds a nice level of sound without being too annoying. I think it would be even better with a cross pipe, and I may add that when I re-do the whole exhaust.

Did you contemplate going under the rear cage rather than through it ? I've seen a few systems built like that. Certainly looks better from a flow and ease of fitting perspective, although the issue would be with ground clearance.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:31 AM

Yes, I wouldnt want to do it again, my system is mild steel, so when it rusts I think I will get a pro shop to use it as a pattern and make a bigger bore stainless system.

Nice to hear that the rear resonator delete should sound good !

I thought about going under, but there is only 8" clearance standard, and I want to eventually lower the suspension . I have the springs out now, but I dont think that cutting them is an option as they have 'tightened and flattened' ends, if you know what I mean . and the roads here have quite a few potholes so it would bottom out.

Quick Reply: AJ6 engine into XJC ( XJ6 series 2 )