Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   all Power Windows not working (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/all-power-windows-not-working-61434/)

alyree 09-28-2011 03:51 PM

all Power Windows not working

I bought an 84 xj6 a month ago. Just got all fuel issues corrected and engine running. Now i am looking to correct power window issue and I am wondering if the middle switch would cause all of them not to work since it is really loose and i don't believe this switch is working. Does anyone have a part number for this particular switch?

Doug 09-28-2011 04:04 PM

Don't have the part number handy. Can get it later.

Yes, it's a master defeat switch for all windows and the sunroof. it works by making/breaking the ground path to the relay.

You can probably open it up and repair it. Or bypass it by joining the wires together.

Cheers
DD

alyree 09-28-2011 04:22 PM

Thank you, i will try to bypass the wire until i can find the switch. I am so thankful for this forum and thank you again for posting so quickly.

davidboger 09-28-2011 07:47 PM

Hi Robert...

The part number is C38637... If you bypass the switch, and still no joy...
you could have 6 bad window switches (unlikely), or some bad thermal breakers...

I have the master switch....

And, I'm only about an hour away from you (near Concord, NC)... If you ever want to come up and stock up on some parts, or just have a look at all my madness, give me a hollar....

David Boger
Everyday XJ

alyree 09-29-2011 08:20 PM

thank you David, I tried the bypass and it worked perfectly, I have power to all four windows and sunroof. Once I get it on the road I would be greatfull to come up and stock up on some parts.

davidboger 09-29-2011 10:02 PM

Perfect...
If you decide you need a master switch, I have them on the shelf for about $9....

The place is always a mess, but if you come up with the idea of finding a hidden treasure you should be able to navigate it pretty well... :)

Cheers!
David

alyree 09-30-2011 06:23 AM

If I can not find a new one I will drive up there and do some hunting, thanks again for your help

alyree 09-30-2011 06:37 AM

David, just found your part on ebay, thought would give a used part a shot pick out the better of the two for me, thanks Bob

davidboger 09-30-2011 06:29 PM

Hi Robert...

Thank you...
I came home for lunch today so that I could get that switch out to you.. You should get it on Saturday...
This is a used part that is easliy tested on the bench... So no worries...
Otherwise everything that I do is warrantied...
That side of life is the fun business.. What fun is a non working part???

David
EverydayXJ.com

alyree 10-01-2011 01:53 PM

David, got the part today and I so appreciate the over night shipping. I am hoping to work on the car tomorrow. thanks again.