Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Alternator NOT Charging - 1985 XJ6 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/alternator-not-charging-1985-xj6-211005/)

mikega 11-24-2018 07:59 AM

Alternator NOT Charging - 1985 XJ6

Hi All,
Now my 1985 XJ6 is responding to treatments but the expert mechanic has told me yesterday that the only issue with the car is that the Alternator NOT Charging.
The fire stays well but when the battery terminal is removed, the fire goes off.

Now, what could be the possible issue of the alternator not charging and how could this be solved?

Help please.

Thanks

Mike

Doug 11-24-2018 08:05 AM

-The alternator itself could be faulty.

-Broken wires and/or excessive resistance in wires and/or dirty connections

-Loose alternator belt

The charging system on these cars is dead simple, nothing unusual about it. Ordinary diagnostics and repairs should suffice

Cheers
DD

mikega 11-24-2018 08:19 AM

Hi Doug,
You mean rewinding the alternator wires will be ideal to revive it?

Thanks

Mike

Doug 11-24-2018 09:10 AM

I was referring to external wiring, to-and-from the alternator. If all the external wiring and connections are good you're left with an alternator problem.

Yes it's possible that the armature needs rewinding. More likely, though, is rectifier or regulator failure.

Cheers
DD

mikega 11-24-2018 09:19 AM

Hi Doug,
Per your above statements, i would like to confirm from you if the wires expire?
Can i rerun the wires with new ones?

JagCad 11-24-2018 09:29 AM

Mike:

UGH, my computer and this webb site do not agree, I lose posts.

That mechanic is no expert. I'll not use the terms I'm thinking.

Running the engine sans battery is a good way to ruin an alternator.

Where is hos meter? Just measure battery voltage with engine not running. Start it. measure again. It should be greater with the engine running circa 13 volts or so, and at rest circa 12 v?

Carl

Jose 11-24-2018 12:02 PM

Mike,
you will need to remove the alternator and have it tested in a alternator-testing machine. if no testing machine is available, substitution with a new alternator is the only alternative.

Does the battery warning light stay ON?

tbere is a warning light between the speedometer and the tachometer. It comes ON when there is a problem. It has a "battery" symbol and it lights up Red.

Doug 11-24-2018 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mikega (Post 1992679)
Hi Doug,
Per your above statements, i would like to confirm from you if the wires expire?
Can i rerun the wires with new ones?

The external wiring often fails due to age and engine heat. Connections often become loose or dirty. Usually determining this is a simple matter of visual inspection although testing with a meter is sometimes better.

If wires are faulty they can repaired....or replaced. Connections can be cleaned and tightened and/or metallic terminals replaced.

Cheers
DD

Sue'sJag 11-24-2018 09:34 PM

My 2005 Jaguar xj8 has worked flawlessly though I rarely drive it. This morning I started it and it was not charging. I always keep it on a battery tender, so it fired right up. Thank you for pointing out that this electrical system is nothing magic. I feel like I might have some rodent damage because it is not driven.

Doug 11-24-2018 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sue'sJag (Post 1992922)
My 2005 Jaguar xj8 has worked flawlessly though I rarely drive it. This morning I started it and it was not charging. I always keep it on a battery tender, so it fired right up. Thank you for pointing out that this electrical system is nothing magic. I feel like I might have some rodent damage because it is not driven.

I was referring to the older models typically discussed in this section. I can't promise that the charging system on your '05 model is as simple.

Cheers
DD