Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Another popular pressure thread - with a PING (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/another-popular-pressure-thread-ping-166401/)

Harry Dredge 07-23-2016 08:28 PM

Cancel that!

Hey all,

Stop reading here. It turned out to be a dud oil pressure sender haha.

Although as an interesting side note: the dud still works fine in my x300, seeing as my one has the idiot light oil gauge.

Here I am starting yet another oil pressure thread to add to the millions that already exist...

All below should be disregarded.

So here's that wrap. I'm about to swap the oil pressure sender unit out for a spare to test if it's the gauge. I have low hopes on it being that though.

I run 20w/50 and have good level of oil and have recently changed oil and filter within 500km.

I started her up after a maybe 3 month period of storage and heard a loud ping, not the first I'd ever heard but I've only heard about 3 of this particular ping on start up.

Anyway, PING and then oil pressure only got to about 10 at speed (normally 40ish) and sitting over the zero at idle. No oil light on though (verified as working and has new switch).

So I figured it might need a warm up. Not the case. Still low pressure. Got busy at work again and put the project on hold. I've been for a couple of short drives around the block to keep the battery good and each time the oil pressure seemed to creep lower.

Now today.

Same old story, let's go for a drive around the block for the batteries sake.

Zero.

At idle and at speed. No PING though.
Went fast, say 80km an hour. Only then did the needle slightly move up. Then right back to zero.

Am I right in being fairly certain this is a failed oil pump?

JagCad 07-24-2016 01:32 AM

I don't think so. I just can not envisage any engine running for long
with a failed oil pump!!!!!

Ventilated block, quick. Noisy and smokey.... Very bad...

Engine done for.

Catastrophic failure...

Carl

Grant Francis 07-24-2016 01:45 AM

I agree.

Oil pump no work, engine seize before the round the block battery trip even half way done.

The gauge senders are flaky, right out of the box. We had another box full of "dud from go" units at the dealership, waiting for Parts Warranty replacements, which also had an 80% failure rate.

The camshafts get real squeaky, real quickly, on the XK engine if oil is lacking.

hooter 07-24-2016 03:44 AM

open your oil cap on the cam cover and you will see if you have oil pressure there will be oil pumping up over the camshaft, if no oil pressure the cam will be dry. i posted a month or so ago photos of my exploded oil pump after some how sucking a spring washer, i was driving when the oil light came on and pressure dropped, i drove another 15 ks home with an attitude of i dont care anymore and ftw, when i removed the oil cap it was still wet but not full, removal of the sump showed the cause and when dropping mains and bigends to check for damage all was well