Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Battery Draw (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/battery-draw-3170/)

petem1957 11-15-2007 03:42 PM

Battery Draw

New here but please help. My battery keeps discharging and i found that there is power to the ignition coil all the time even with the key in the off position. I have removed the ignition relay yet there is still power to the coil. Any ideas of what or where to check next?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank's in advance!!!!

JimC64 11-15-2007 08:30 PM

RE: Battery Draw

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 195399

Hi there petem....welcome to the forum mate.

It would help if you post your model and year of vehicle and then some of our more technically minded gurus will be able to offer advice I'm sure:)

Jim

Jose 11-15-2007 08:48 PM

if it is a Series III XJ-6, (1980-1987) check that the trunk light is not staying on, the lid switch has a tendency to malfunction, so that even when the switch is pressed down, the light stays on.

With a helper outside, someone can get inside the trunk and the helper shuts the trunk lid to check if the light stays On. Make sure the helper is someone you can trust to open the trunk after you tell them to open it !!

Jose

petem1957 11-16-2007 01:47 PM

It is a 1989 XJ6 so from what i read is also referred to as XJ 40, correct?

Jose, I will do the checking of the trunk light this afternoon, can that cause someting as weird as supplying voltage to the ignition coil. I have heard and read of some strange complaints since finding this site.

Is this some of the mystery of the CAT??????

Jose 11-16-2007 02:36 PM

yes,you have aXJ-40, not an XJ-6 , though everybody keeps calling them XJ-6.

Oficially, a XJ-40
Un-oficially, a Series 4 XJ-6

I'm not familiar with the 1989 model. Only Series 3 XJ-6 through 1987 and the older Jags.

Ken would know more about this model's quirks, since he supplies the parts that commonly fail in those models. I think he has mentioned an Electronic Modulethat fails and the electrical system goes haywire, probably explaining why you have 12V at the coil without ignition ON.

I suggest you order a Factory Shop Manual CD for your model/year, which has troubleshooting sections. Theseare handy.

here's a site that sells them, but make sure you order the right Manual.

http://www.lbcarco.com

Jose

petem1957 11-19-2007 04:04 PM

Ichecked the trunk light and found the buld to be good but the light is inop and no power to the light assembly?

As Jose says maybe it is best to get a FACTORY shop manual. The car came with a Haynes manual but of course it's not much help when it comes to electrical.

Thank's for the replies and i'll repost my problem to the XJ40 forum, Ken you come highly recommended any help????

ken@britishparts.com 11-20-2007 12:10 PM

You have stumped the panel. I'll try to do some digging.

petem1957 11-20-2007 05:05 PM

Damn, I hate when that happens!
Ken, Thank's and I would really appreciate any help!

ken@britishparts.com 11-21-2007 08:47 AM

I was told about a car in our shop, same vintage, that the fuel pump stayed on anytime the battery was connected. Turned out that a harness had chafed and the wires connected with a direct battery feed wire. Replaced the harness, problem solved. A hanging ignition relay will do the same thing. It will seek out a power source and keep the coil hot. Hope that helps.

petem1957 11-22-2007 08:38 AM

Looks like i'm down to tracing wiring from the coil back.The power to the coil should come from the ECM, is that correct?I pulled all the relays one at a time to see if i could isolate the circuit that was causing the problem to no avail.