Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best repair manual for a 1976 XJ12 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best repair manual for a 1976 XJ12 coupe

Good Evening & Merry Christmas!
I've recently purchased a 1976 XJ12 coupe in need of total restoration. My father and I will be doing the work, he's been a mechanic for over 30 years so it will be a fun project. One thing I'm having a hard time with is finding a good comprihensive repair manual or any other literature you guys can recommend? Haynes manual isn't cutting it.

Currently we are trying to sort out the fuel delivery system, the back was a mess, someone had definitely jerry rigged the pump & hoses. Got a new fuel pump but need a diagram to put the lines back properly.

Thanks for your help & Happy New Year!

Attached Thumbnails Best repair manual for a 1976 XJ12 coupe-img_7519.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Skip the Hayes...get the factory manual...it's available on CD and probably download somewhere.

Old 12-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Merry Christmas! I agree with icsamerica, skip the Haynes! The best manual is the Technicians Manual which Jaguar dealers had in their Service departments, but getting one of those is another story. I am still trying to get a factory-trained mechanic-friend to sell me his. Second to that is the Factory Service and Parts manual which you can find at ebay andJaguar partssuppliers like SNG Barrat USA store who advertises here in this forum. You need the Series 2 XJ manual.

Last edited by Jose; 12-25-2015 at 11:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kossevv (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Hi Jose,
I've searched around a bunch and emailed a few websites but haven't heard back. DO you have any specific links of places that sell them? Also is the factory service manual a red book, I see one on Amazon that says XJ12 & Double Daimler but doesn't show me year ranges. I'd like to get one ordered asap but would be helpful to see what the correct one look like.
Thanks for your help!

Old 12-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Old 12-25-2015, 06:40 PM
Received 10,295 Likes on 6,814 Posts

That appears about as good as I have seen in while.

The Coupe specific components will test your skills, but mechanically it is the same as the Sedan, and early XJ-S cars.

I have Haynes, Brooklands, and then my hand written stuff in my own stash, and works well for me.

The good old common sense your Dad and you will have now, will go a long way. They are SIMPLE cars really.

What fuel line drawings are you looking for, in the boot, or the engine bay??. I have schematics in the shed, and when the head clears a bit more I can scan them and attach here for you.

Let me know when the time zones align better.

Jose (12-25-2015)
Old 12-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,425 Likes on 1,826 Posts

hi kossevv, I am on my phone away from my computer, unable to copy and paste links as I usually do. Here are some names of places in the USA that sell or used to sell the Factory service manuals published by the Jaguar-Daimler Heritage Trust in the UK:. 1-SNG BARRAT USA STORE,. 2-LITTLE BRITISH CARS,. 3-JAGUAR DEALERS, 4-JAGBITS.COM, 5-JDHT.COM I would contact the JDHT if you cannot find the correct manual for your car. The Amazon red manual you mention I am not familar with. You can also check ebay daily, they show up all the time. Take Francis' offer above. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jose; 12-25-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Grant Francis (12-26-2015)
Old 01-04-2016, 09:20 PM

Hi Grant
Happy New Year! I will take you up on your offer! Anything you have to show the correct routing of the fuel lines in the boot would be awesome! It is a mess back there, purchased a new pump but the hoses were all disconnected so hard to say which ones go where properly. Also need to get the fuel tanks down to see if they are salvageable. We've taken down all the bolts we can see (3 I think) but they aren't moving. Where are the sneaky ones?
Thanks for your help!
Veso

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
That appears about as good as I have seen in while.

The Coupe specific components will test your skills, but mechanically it is the same as the Sedan, and early XJ-S cars.

I have Haynes, Brooklands, and then my hand written stuff in my own stash, and works well for me.

The good old common sense your Dad and you will have now, will go a long way. They are SIMPLE cars really.

What fuel line drawings are you looking for, in the boot, or the engine bay??. I have schematics in the shed, and when the head clears a bit more I can scan them and attach here for you.

Let me know when the time zones align better.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I would recommend this one.....

Jaguar CD-ROM DVD WORKSHOP SERVICE AND REPAIR MANUAL, PARTS MANUAL, FOR SERIES 3 XJ6 AND XJ12 1969-1987 - JTP1006

Is has Tech pubs, Repair Operation Manual, Owners manuals, and Parts Catalogue, which has enabled me to find some parts by first finding out the parts number then googling that. There are also exploded parts diagrams which help to work out how things should have looked.

Myself and @smgdata, actually mainly @smgdata are undertaking the same "fun" as you with a silver 12C from Ohio.........

Although our car is in better shape cosmetically, mainly because it was sensibly dry stored, it had not been run for 10 years, so we are going through the same fun/pain as you, ie fuel system needs a complete overhaul, then brakes, then rear cage, then coolant hoses, then vacuum hoses, etc, etc

But..... there is something just magical about these cars, especially with the original V12 heart.

Good luck with yours...... I am sure we will "bump" into each other on these forums as we work through our issues.

We currently have the car running on one tank nicely. The switch over valves and the other tank need further work. We have front brakes, but not rears as the lines are corroded and leaking. This weekend we will hopefully be able to fit the replacement transmission link so we can select gears again......

Attached Thumbnails Best repair manual for a 1976 XJ12 coupe-upload_-1-8-.jpg   Best repair manual for a 1976 XJ12 coupe-upload_-1-9-.jpg  

Last edited by Sarc; 01-16-2016 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:31 AM

I will get them tomorrow.

Been back at full time work again, so beauty sleep after, is my excuse, aint working they tell me, ha.

No sneaky bolts that I remember, just the tanks "stuck" in the hole.

Old 01-16-2016, 05:27 AM

Veso,

Found this on the laptop.

It is S3 6cyl, same except for #3, which the S2 cars did not have.

Basically you have 2 X 1/2" hoses from each tank, that feed fuel by gravity to valve #15, and then the 3rd spigot of that valve is the INLET to the pump, still ALL gravity fuel.

The outlet side of the pump is the Hi Pressure stuff.

Hose #1 comes out of the end of the pump in these cars, NOT the side as in the drawing, and goes direct, via joiners etc, under the car on the RH side to the engine bay.

The return fuel is down the LH underside of the car, and then a series of valves to ensure the return fuel goes to the selected tank.

I will look for more late tomorrow, when it cools down a tad, as we are expecting 40c during the day, so the shed will be a no go zone.

Best repair manual for a 1976 XJ12 coupe-jag-fuel-lines-teh-boot.png

Old 01-16-2016, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Old 01-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Default sweeet!!

You guys are awesome, thanks for the info! Between these diagrams and a repair manual I got in the mail finally I think we'll make it work!

I'm ordering new tanks tomorrow so when those come in we'll button up the back and see what lines are leaking up front.

Sarc, that looks beautiful I love the silver. Currently I'm town between silver or navy blue for the new paint down the road but one thing at a time!

I would love to have this baby ready for the Woodward Dream Cruise in Detroit in August, if I bring it up we'll have to stop by Ohio.

Currently we are trying to finish up work on a '68 Mustang for a client, then need to address a few things on the Ferrari so we can focus on the Jag full time. I need to quit work...

Grant Francis (01-18-2016)
Old 01-20-2016, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

@Veso

The car is now in Sunny California and much happier for it ! Luckily it wasn't used in the snow in Ohio so bodily it's pretty good.

Last weekend we drove it 10 miles from where it was being stored back to my house. We had front brakes, but no rears. No power steering (we refilled it but it leaked all the fluid out immediately and managed to get onto the exhaust during the drive, which was fun) We had square tires. We had to stop once with what seemed like a fuel starvation problem, but eventually we made it. Foolhardy? Yes. Great feeling and a significant milestone in the cars rebirth? You bet !

This weekends focus is replacing the steering rack. Replacing the front brakes. Fitting the trans selector cable and adjusting it. Fitting new (round) tires. That will probably consume most of the weekend.

Last edited by Sarc; 01-20-2016 at 11:47 PM.