XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Better horn?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Better horn?

My horn works just fine, but it is SO proper, polite British... just not enough volume to punch through the head of a distracted soccer mom in her Suburban. Nearly got creamed by one such the other day on the freeway and she never saw or heard me.
An aquaintance of years past who loved jags and had several would always do a horn upgrade first off when he'd uptake a refit... he's passed now otherwise I'd get his advice, although I have fuzzy memory of his mentioning a set of air horns (like a semi has)... that seems a bit much.
Any suggestions?

CatLovr

Old 12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CL...almost any horn from your local automotive store will work. Remove the old ones, and match the size and shape of the bracket and the plugs, and you'll be good.

Napa sells an aftermarket horn (see links below) that will be quite a bit louder than the standard horn for the XJ6. They are a direct swap, and these horns are 130 dB. In case you don't know how loud 130 dB are, an ambulance siren runs about 120 dB.

80 dB ringing telephone
110 dB baby crying
90 - 115 dB subway
120 dB ambulance siren
130 dB jackhammer, power drill
130 dB percussion section at symphony
140 dB airplane taking off

The first link is a high note horn, the second is a low note. Both of these horns are from Napa.

http://napaonline.com/Search/Detail....+50037+2037006
http://napaonline.com/Search/Detail....+50037+2037006

Hope this helps.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

More than likely, you've dropped one of the two horns. Yes, two horns. Make sure both make noise and replace the bad one. One is high tone and one is low tone.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Good advice above.

(Once bought a landrover from the fire service, and they had left all the sirens intact. Now that was loud,, and great fun)

Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wooo...I would LOVE to get my hands on THOSE horns...lol.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

Train horn would be too much
and would cause some

I also like trumpet horns that was used to be a standard equipment in earlier Cadillacs

Old 12-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks, and a story...

Thanks for the info and all - I'll check out to see if both are working, and go from there.

Now, a short story that relates, in one way, to the subject of horns...
In 2005 I took us to Paris for two weeks to celebrate my birthday. It was a landmark birthday (yes, my 21st!) and I hadn't ever been and was determined to spend this birthday in a Left Bank bistro, a little drunk and singing some lovely little song. The restaurant I chose was a bit more than a bistro, but it was small and intimate and had amazing wines (listed in a handwritten BOOK of a wine list) and hubby and best gal pal were there so all was good. You don't want to know what the bill was. Ok, it was 700E. And these years later I still remember every bite, and the wines, and the owner, and the family that came with their sheepdog who barked with happiness when he saw the owner and then curled up under their table like he did this every week (he probably did), and the pictures on the wall. It really was that amazing.
So the next day we decide to go walking (we were staying in the 7th) and our path eventually took us to the Arc de Triomphe, where we made our way to the top and spent a dizzy time watching the traffic circle below. There is a flow to that traffic circle, a wax and wane to how the cars move, a synchronization that is somehow understood...except for the odd driver who doesn't live in Paris, or is just an ***. We marveled at how bumps were avoided, general good grace seemed to rule even as there was a sense of near chaos in the amount of cars vying for postion in and out of that circle. And then, along comes an XK120 drophead, top down, cream/red, with a most handsome blond man driving... he made his way about half way around and got stuck at a point where some folks were entering the circle and some were exiting and he was trying to go straight. Driving the car he was driving, he was not as aggressive as some others, and he had to beg some attention and right of way with his horn.... gaaaOOOOgahhhhh gaaaOOOOgahhhh it went - beautiful!! - and cars parted and he slipped through and off he went. I'll never forget that blond hair blowing, the horn sounding, the long line of that fantasic car sliding through the Paris dusk. God bless England and France.
Cheers everyone!

Old 12-29-2009, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

To be, young in love in Paris, life is good.

For a 'real thrilling ' driving experience, regularly take 'The Arc de Triomphe' periphique on a wet November day at around 5.30pm. Now that is fun, 8 unmarked lanes, on wet cobbles, taken flat out, with no indicators. You know you got it right when you get that 'Drifting' sensation, and you make your chosen exit first time around.

Oh yeh!!!

Just don't use the Jag.

Cheers,