Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Big Project - 1983 Series 3 Crossroads (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/big-project-1983-series-3-crossroads-123509/)

psharpli 08-05-2014 08:52 AM

Big Project - 1983 Series 3 Crossroads

8 Attachment(s)
Hi All, I have decided it was time to return to my true love of motoring, to again appreciate the feel & ride of and the sheer sexy lines of the classic Series 3 Jag.
Having been looking for an example that will fit the bill in regard to restoration prospects for may weeks/months (In my state of S.A)..& have finally found her lying in wait for 2.5 years in a large farm type shed supporting many layers of dust and some bird like organic material dropped from height.. After some examination she got the nod, and the deal was done. Car was partially dismantled, but all was together and well stored, interior was re-done (by previous owner - abandoned resto attempt), so things were off to a good start as the dark grey vinyl looks very smart & well done, door panels & console also. Mechanically the car is untouched, original 4.2 and BW go box. Body will be completely stripped to support colour change. Some pics - setting new carpets out to get them to settle & conform. Partial dismantling of front end to allow engine extraction (teardown & inspection.):icon_wink: Crossroads - vehicle direction will be decided after teardown & inspection 4.2. If is ok & rebuild can be done, original engine will return with the exception of the trans..BW out, T350 in. If all bad & engine is toast..poss V8 Injected conv. may be utilised....see how we go, would be nice to retain the six, nice chambered exh. would be music to the ears....:icon_denk:

LnrB 08-05-2014 09:18 AM

I'll certainly be watching!
(';')

o1xjr 08-05-2014 09:39 AM

Welcome to the forum,I look forward to reading more of your posts with interest. I assume Adelaide,South Australia since your car is RHD.
Drop by the new member area to post a welcome thread,link below.
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
And take time to check out the regional South Australia/NT Forum, Grant(SA regional Coordinator) there in Adelaide is a wealth of knowlege on these older Jags.Link below to SA forum
Australia - South / NT - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

psharpli 08-05-2014 11:25 AM

Thanks guys, looking forward to ressurrecting this beauty. :)

JagCad 08-05-2014 11:50 AM

What a great find/project.

As I understand, the BW is bad. Not a deal breaker, though. Used replacement or rebuild.

Some might counsel the replacement of the old tech BW with a more modern GM with OD. Johns cars in Fort Worth, Texas offers one.

The turning point might be the health of the 4.2. Compression tests, wet and dry wouild tell the story. If both engine and transmission are poor, a change is in order.

Although a fix of each is doable, it would drain the pocket book.

Time for a modern FI SBC and OD transmission. that would be my choice. In fact it was on the demise of my 4.2. Not cheap, but utterly dependable and runs great.

Carl

slofut 08-05-2014 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1030139)
What a great find/project.

As I understand, the BW is bad. Not a deal breaker, though. Used replacement or rebuild.

Some might counsel the replacement of the old tech BW with a more modern GM with OD. Johns cars in Fort Worth, Texas offers one.

The turning point might be the health of the 4.2. Compression tests, wet and dry wouild tell the story. If both engine and transmission are poor, a change is in order.

Although a fix of each is doable, it would drain the pocket book.

Time for a modern FI SBC and OD transmission. that would be my choice. In fact it was on the demise of my 4.2. Not cheap, but utterly dependable and runs great.

Carl

I'm with Carl here. If you do retain the xk engine however, I would strongly suggest a th200r4 or 700r4 instead of the th350. I've had both in these cars, Johns Cars kit is the way to go, although I had to make an adapter for the TV cable/throttle lever to provide correct geometry. Works great now. You need all the torque advantage you can get with these heavy cars, the lower first gear in the 700r4 makes the car much more enjoyable to drive.
Bill

psharpli 08-05-2014 12:13 PM

Hey Carl,
i hear you on the modern drive line front, it is definately a consideration in waiting. The trans swap is a no brainer either t350 or 700r.. PO assures me the car was driven in to the very shed it was retrieved from, so maybe the engine is savagable...trans fluid for the record was ultra clean, poss rebuilt or prior serv b4 storage. Anyhow engine should be on the stand by next week,(back on shift now).... ps. i have read details on kits etc of all types, Johns, JTR etc, very good to have such polished & sorted kits avail for many options.. cheers

psharpli 08-05-2014 12:20 PM

Bill,
Thanks for the advise, input, i must agree with u on the 4 spd option, yes it makes perfect sense to have a nice lower gear 1st, last car (statesman) i had was 4 spd auto & was quite quick off the mark..so choice made. The other plus is that this trans then be used on a conversion down the road, which will eventually happen.. :icon_wink:

yarpos 08-06-2014 12:39 AM

Looks like a great project. That is the same year as my car, and colour even although I see you are changing. The 700 trans will also give you nice cruising RPM at highway speed, which the T350 wont. Maybe not a big deal depending on what you plan to do with the car.

psharpli 08-06-2014 08:04 AM

Steve,
Im sold on the 700r front. done. Should waken up the 4.2 a little with a nice converter. Will be ideal replacement should the conversion take place some time later.

psharpli 08-19-2014 09:07 AM

Finally a few steps...

Well its been a while since the the initial welcoming & settling in of the new arrival. Things have been sorted & some interior work has begun (new matting & carpets put in early), molded units are nice but need sometime to settle & a little massage to get them fitting snug & neat - this can happen while other things are being attended too. Today was extraction day, time to rip her heart out & take a look. Things went well actually, most bolts, nuts & other attachments seemed easily removed & process went rather smoothly. Trans being held up temp. by wire pulled tight between jacking points & sits nicely on top. After a little messing around with engine stand mounting points (after removal of torque converter & flywheel) we have her sitting on the stand - complete. Tomorrow will be an interesting day (after preparing clean area for the teardown), we shall see if any disasters lurk, hopefully not...pics to follow asap....cheers :-) :icon_teeth:

psharpli 08-19-2014 04:55 PM

Few updated pics...

8 Attachment(s)
Very cold morning, but keen to start the disassembly..:icon_wink:

LnrB 08-19-2014 06:03 PM

That looks familiar. Not the V12 part, the dirty old engine being jerked from its cozy nest and sitting on the floor in all its naked glory part.
(';')

hooter 08-19-2014 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1039592)
That looks familiar. Not the V12 part, the dirty old engine being jerked from its cozy nest and sitting on the floor in all its naked glory part.
(';')

Thats a 6, not a 12

LnrB 08-20-2014 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by hooter (Post 1039719)
Thats a 6, not a 12

Oh. Yeah. :icon_redface: I knew that. :icon_doh:
(';')

psharpli 08-20-2014 02:40 AM

Six Indeed..

6 Attachment(s)
:icon_wink: Greetings All,
Well after a cold morning start, the ol'six potter has revealed herself (so far) to be a very good engine in fine condition, intitial finding are promising & appears engine has been freshened up or poss reconditioned recently as on removal of head (eventually) - show .020 pistons. Cams looks as new & rocker covers & general interior of engine very clean. Studs were a chore to say the least, some very stuborn, but no breaks phew.. some studs were badly corroded, a must do replacement !! Well tomorrow we'll flip her over & check out the bearings etc, should (going of rest of engine) turn up ok & be reinstalled. All things being equal a nice hone job & re-ring & head gasket set, & a pretty up, we may well be in business.cheers...carry on !

psharpli 08-20-2014 03:58 AM

Ol' Rusty...

:icon_no: One thing i neglected to say was the state of the block/freeze plugs... most were totally blocked up, had to chisel my way in with a small screwdriver, studs were completely surrounded in scaley rusty goo,(prob from sitting so long) PO must have been a tap water consultant, one bad finding....., a complete flush out with the gerney is in order. 3 studs 1/3 corroded thru, obviously one item not replaced after recent recond. to .020. Cheers.

psharpli 08-27-2014 05:49 AM

Parts question..

Well it been a busy time. The ol' 6 has been stripped down, and things look good. Have read that some parts from other engines can be utilised in these 4.2's, eg piston rings..Holden 202 rings will fit (020) apparently, has anyone else actually done this? Have checked some parts catalogues and indeed part numbers match. My big question is gasket kits, would a late series 2 set fit a series 3, or does the fuel injection side of things change fitment of some of the kit. Any input from those in the know is gratefully received.. some more pics of the progress..Cheers to all. :icon_wink:

psharpli 08-27-2014 06:10 AM

Few current pics..

3 Attachment(s)
Bare block honing started, all studs out. full gerney high pressure degrease & water jacket flush, nice & clean now. Stud thread reaming done, all stud threads bottom out nicely, & blown out w/compressed air.

Fraser Mitchell 08-27-2014 06:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That is not a "slotted" block so check for cracks between the bores 1-2,2-3, 4-5, and 5-6.

If there are cracks you'll suffer continual head gasket failures. Don't ask how I know !! Lipped liners are available if you have cracks, but you'll have to strip the block down to have them put in at an engine shop.

Have a look at this picture of a block showing one bore with the liner removed. You can just see the crack from the upper coolant passage to the top of the block. Later blocks had a vertical slot instead of two horizontal passages, and no liner was then fitted.