Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Body & gearbox numbers? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/body-gearbox-numbers-154637/)

BoarHawg 12-13-2015 03:25 PM

Body & gearbox numbers?

Hi y'all, I'm toying with the idea of getting a heritage certificate from Jaguar Heritage Trust. The application asks for chassis # (pretty sure that's the VIN), engine # (found it), and the body & gearbox numbers. Where would I look to find the latter two? There are a couple of plates with stamped numbers on the rear below the boot and hidden behind the bumper trim, plus one that says "FEDERAL". Would one of those contain the body number?

Thanks!
-Scott

Jag-o-nomic 12-14-2015 12:54 AM

Hi BoarHawg

Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is the current ID used by automotive manufacturers and replaces the older and more simple Chassis Number classification

Assuming you have a Series 3 the Factory handbook supplied with each new car states;

Auto trans Number is located on a metal label attached to the left-hand side of the gearbox casing

I've not gone looking for mine, so not much help, except that the number stamped on the left side of the bell housing is the engine number which you say you already have.

The Federal badge seems to be fitted to most XJ6's

Cheers,

Nigel

Doug 12-14-2015 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by BoarHawg (Post 1364270)
and the body & gearbox numbers. Where would I look to find the latter two? There are a couple of plates with stamped numbers on the rear below the boot and hidden behind the bumper trim, plus one that says "FEDERAL". Would one of those contain the body number?

AFAIK that's the body number, yes.

Cheers
DD

Doug 12-14-2015 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jag-o-nomic (Post 1364464)
The Federal badge seems to be fitted to most XJ6's

Near as I can tell the Federal tag as affixed to all export variants. If it was built for anything other than home market, it got the tag.

Cheers
DD

BoarHawg 12-14-2015 12:26 PM

Thanks, Nigel & Doug! Yes, it's a SIII, but I didn't see that info in the handbook....I probably wasn't paying close enough attention.

-Scott

Tar 12-14-2015 07:53 PM

Of the two numbers on plates behind the bumper, the one you want (the body number) is the one that starts with "1A..." Not sure what the other one is, but it is not needed for the heritage certificate.

The transmission number can only be taken from the plate on the side of the transmission itself. For an '87 it starts with "BL 2…" I seem to recall it is on the right side of the transmission, up behind some tubing, very hard to see. I stuck my phone camera up there and took enough pictures of it to get it right. It's probably easiest on a lift.

I have to say I was very disappointed with the quality of the heritage certificate I received recently. When I said as much to Mike Cook, the US archivist, he told me that he/they feel the faded, blurry, dot-matrix quality printing of the data (they actually use a ribbon for the printing, and not a new one either!) gives "a nice quality to the presentation". I think it makes the certificate look a bit cheap and amateurish. I see no reason whatsoever they can't use a laser printer.

All of which to say, you may prefer to get your certificate from Anders Clausager in the UK instead.

Best, Andrew.