Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   bonnet insulation (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/bonnet-insulation-4814/)

skanoski 03-07-2008 11:17 PM

bonnet insulation

...I think that's what you call it. The foam-like insulation under the bonnet of my 1986 sovereign is all chewed up. Does anyone know if this is something that can be ordered, or do you just have to cut some material to fit?

tylerw2239 03-08-2008 01:09 AM

RE: bonnet insulation

I think this might be it? If a sovereign is the same as an xj6.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/epcstart...d=motorcarsltd

or

http://www.autopartsworld.com/1986_j...pad_parts.html

Compare for prices. the model i searched for you was "1986 Jaguar XJ6" for both sites.

Ive had good experiences with both places.

Jose 03-08-2008 08:23 AM

it is still available, it's not foam but fiberglass. Some people install the aluminum stick-on foil but it looks terrible in a Jaguar. The original black fiberglass pads look the best.

Jose

skanoski 03-08-2008 01:49 PM

thanks guys! tylerw, the sovereign is an xj6 - it was the European equivalent to the vanden plas at the time.

tylerw2239 03-08-2008 01:56 PM

i just keep on learning

skanoski 03-12-2008 10:42 PM

I found a bonnet insulation replacement (fiberglass, like original) from Coventry West - good price.

ken@britishparts.com 03-13-2008 12:31 PM

How did they ship it? Did it come in folded? Let me know if Motorcars needs to get back into that game.

Thanks!

Jose 03-13-2008 06:25 PM

Ken, when I bought mine about 6 years ago, it came in a flat thin carton, not folded, about 36" x 48". You can't fold it if it is the correct molded fiberglass pads, otherwise they crack.

I think Motorcars should place an order for about 100 of them, it's that time of the season when a lot of Series 3 XJ are due fornew insulation pads. Lately a lot of owners are asking for them.

Jose

skanoski 03-13-2008 09:45 PM

it came in today (from coventry w.) - I was a little disappointed at first. I was told that it was going to be fiberglass (like the original); however, it was black foam (although it is a higher quality foam). I went ahead and installed it, and in the end, I'm pleased with the final product (picture attached). It came already fit (perfect size). Let me know what you guys think...

[IMG]local://upfiles/2329/A3ACA521F6C04C35987ED94F6D1658B0.jpg[/IMG]

ibjags 03-13-2008 09:57 PM

Coventry West has always been a very good place for older car parts
not to mention they have great return policy if your not happy with the parts

skanoski 03-13-2008 11:16 PM

I agree. I'm sure it was an honest mistake, and I'm happy with it.

Ken....it was folded. Being foam, folding it once was not a problem. I'm not sure if the fiberglass one can be folded or not.

Jose 03-14-2008 05:52 AM

what? that's not it! looks like a $3.00 piece of foam for heaven's sake!

Well, if it was me, I would demand my money back, but if you are happy....it's your car.

NowI know WHERE NOT to send anybody to order the hood liner from. This is not the first I have heard from that company. I know another fellow who complained at a forum that he was charged $600. for a used grille! (same company!).

[sm=noooo.gif] way Jose

guess WHO has the correct part? Motorcars Ltd.

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/item.wws?&sku=IN100772

You gets what you pay for. The original type ofinsulation is very expensive. I paid more for mine than Motorcars Ltd.'s price. I guess they have come down in price.

ken@britishparts.com 03-14-2008 09:09 AM

We really don't get orders for them. Reason being: yes, they are still available through Jaguar. We aren't that much cheaper than the dealer. (Here's the kicker.) Due to their size and they don't fold, they must travel motor freight instead of UPS or FedEx. Shipping is almost as much if not more than the part. I tell people to order them from the local dealer on a slow boat. The dealer or Jaguar eats the shipping and everyone is happy.

skanoski 03-14-2008 09:57 AM

Jose....maybe you're right - I went from being slightly disappointed to feeling like I may have been hosed (second guessing myself??) -- little luck returning it now, as it's glued to my hood, so I'll have to ride it out. I don't have enough experience with C.W. to judge them - the part was not what was promised, but much cheaper than the fiberglass would have been, and good quality foam (not $3 flimsy). I don't think that it was blatent deception - who knows. It is definitely an improvement from what I took out.

ken@britishparts.com 03-14-2008 10:53 AM

I wouldn't fret it too much. It's doing the most important part of the job, keeping the heat from the hood. Looks like a decent fit. Smile, 'cause now the heat won't bother the hood so you can drive faster!

Jose 03-14-2008 08:38 PM

well, I would be concerned about that foam melting, or hardening and becoming dust, the XJ-6 underhood temperatures are not exactly "cool". If they misrepresented the product as you have stated a number of times, that's not an "honest mistake". you can simply tell them that what you got is not what you ordered.If they are so good, they will offer torefund your money. What your picture shows is not factory, not aftermarket either, it looks like a homemade piece of foam. It should not be glued because the glue is flammable. The original fiberglass panels are attached on channels built into the sheetmetal.

I'm only arguing the point because I don't like it when people get ripped off. Sorry but...[sm=proof.gif]

Jose

skanoski 03-15-2008 12:48 AM

it is what it is..

I used 3m high temp adhesive - C.W. apologized for incorrect "terminology", and claimed that the foam will not disintegrate in the heat. we'll see. OK so far after about 70 miles at normal engine operating temps.

lesson learned. Motorcarsltd will be keeping my wheels running from now on.