Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Bypassing the key (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/bypassing-key-10801/)

Brill 01-31-2009 01:04 PM

Bypassing the key

I have sitting in my garage, a 77 series II that someone gave to me. Unfortunately, the old cogger who gave me the car can't remember where he ever left the keys some 12+ years ago when parked it.
I would rather not use the tried and true method of a slide hammer to remove the ignition to access the innards of the steering column. Can someone direct me on a better (albeit, maybe not easier) method of unlocking the steering wheel w/o the keys?

Thanx!

Talk soon,

JagtechOhio 01-31-2009 01:12 PM

RE: Bypassing the key

What is this, "Gone in 60 Seconds" training?

Remove steering column and ignition switch surrounds for acess, remove the two shear bolts that retain the column lock/ ignition switch assembly. They bolts have locktite on the threads, but are usually loose anyway. I use an automatic center punch to rotate them, it works great. A hammer and a small punch will git 'r done.

Then pick up the phone and call (740)881-JAG6 so you can have a new assembly with a key shipped to you on Monday.

OOPs, I meant good used replacement. At least $100. cheaper than new, but works just as good unless you lose the key.

davidboger 01-31-2009 01:15 PM

HI

The steering column lock is on the stalk that holds the ignition switch.
If you remove the panel that hides the column, and look at the steering column, you'll see two sheared head nuts.
Those simply (sometimes) twist out and unlock the column.
Sometimes you can turn with simply with thumb pressure, sometimes it takes a pair of angled needle nosed pliers, and sometimes you have to get them started with a hammer and small chisel or screwdriver (counter clockwise, of course).

Once you get those out, the colum will unlock and you can steer it again

Good luck with it,
Any questions you can email me direct at david@everydayxj.com

Good luck
David

JagtechOhio 01-31-2009 01:24 PM

Hey Dave,

There's a guy with a wanted ad on JagLovers, looking for a good used BW66 transmission. My spares are all saved for cars I'm going to build, maybe you can help him.

Brill 01-31-2009 01:39 PM

Thanx Guys!
The parts car I'm looking at is actually in quite better shape than the one that was given to me (seems as no surprise) aside from the fact it has no engine. Not sure if the tranny is gone as well. Either way, the engine in the 77 only has 52K on it so, transplanting seems like an easy move.

If after looking closely at the parts car I find that all it needs is an engine, I will do that and will have some rather good parts for sale or spares once complete with the transplant.

Thanx again!

Talk soon,

JagtechOhio 01-31-2009 01:58 PM

That's great! Then you can already surmise that there are alot more junk parts cars around than there are people to buy your parts. Good luck in your future endeavors.