Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   A/C Compressor oil leak (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/c-compressor-oil-leak-165408/)

DannyRobertHoward 07-04-2016 11:28 AM

A/C Compressor oil leak

Greetings to all, I had my air conditioning system re-gassed last week. The a/c man did tell me that he noticed that there was oil leaking from the compressor and there is a strong possibilty that the gas would leak and the system would fail. He also said that there used to be a compressor service kit to overhaul these compressors but they are now obsolete. I have been using the R12 replacement gas R134 for a few years now. He went on to say that if the gas escaped, the only cure would be to fit a new compressor, condenser, receiver/drier, expansion valve, hoses etc. Then I would be using the modern gas and all should be fine. But at a cost of appox £1,000.
Does anybody know if there are any compressor service kits being supplied by anybody? Any A/C experts that might be able to offer suggestions?
Kindest regards, Danny.

Grant Francis 07-05-2016 03:36 AM

Assuming Delco Black Monster compressor??

Not even gassed down here, they simply dont like the 134a pressures.

A Sanden unit is a standard replacement, BUT, it is NOT a plug and play task. Brackets will need to be made, fairly simple for any DIYer, new hoses, and drier, then you will be good for many years.

The compressor you currently have is a GM unit, and maybe ?bay will have a kit, but these units are OLD in any meaning of that word.

DannyRobertHoward 07-05-2016 03:53 AM

Many thanks for your thoughts Grant. Yes, I suppose 32 years is quite old for a compressor that has had no work at all for its entire life! I did see that there is a kit JLM11604 available and it suits the series 3 XJ12. I assume the compressor is different from mine though? Kind regards, Danny.

Grant Francis 07-05-2016 04:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Same compressor, well should be??.

This is the parts drawing of the Black Monster Compressor.

The seal kit they list is AEU1699 and is listed as NLA. from Jaguar.

I would try an Air Con Indepenmdent, or whatever they are called up there.

Down here that Compressor was used on GM, Ford, Merc, Jag, etc etc.

Attachment 132708

Doug 07-05-2016 07:07 AM

Personally, I'd wait for further developments.

Oil leaking from a GM/Harrison A6 compressor is as normal and expected as night time following the day. They leaked a bit even when new. Heck, the old GM service manuals and tech bulletins mentioned that some weeping is normal.

It's all a matter of degree.

Cheers
DD

DannyRobertHoward 07-05-2016 09:32 AM

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your advice. Kind regards, Danny.

JagCad 07-05-2016 09:50 AM

Agree. A different unit on my 85 Ford 302 powered F150 4x4 weeped.
I noted a wick to carry off the seep away from the clutch. Seals need lube!!!

As long as it is quiet ands cool, I'd not worry...

Carl

DannyRobertHoward 07-06-2016 03:42 AM

Many thanks Carl. I think that the gas must be escaping because the system has lost that "icy" feel from the vents. I will try to obtain a kit of seals before I think about a new compressor. Kind regards, Danny.

JagCad 07-06-2016 09:26 AM

My Jeep has a decal advising that in it's past a sealant was added.

The last time, it failed to blow cold, I added a can of R134 that included a sealant. It worked. Two season, now and it still blows cold.

Certainly worth a try.

Carl