XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear reflectors on a Series 2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear reflectors on a Series 2?

Changing my car over to Euro bumpers, and one of the issues that arose is that the rear round reflector inboard of the tail lamp will now be behind the over rider making it utterly useless. Need to remove, and convert to the earlier rectangular style under the tail lamp (like the Euro cars). I just can't seem to find anything in either shop manual about how to remove it, and I don't want to damage them or the paint. Can't get to the back side from the trunk, seems to be a sealed area so I assume there is some kind of clip attatchment?

Old 03-14-2013, 06:26 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

There is a nut on the back side..
Easiest way will be to remove the turn signal housing, and reach down to get it...
Another way is up from the exhaust opening in the rear valance, but can't do that if the exhaust is in place...

Cheers
David
Everyday XJ

Old 03-14-2013, 06:32 PM
GGG
Received 16,761 Likes on 12,150 Posts

If US spec cars use the standard Lucas RER5 Reflector (rubber body with slim chrome rim and 1 1/2" diameter red lens) which was fitted to many UK cars in the 1960's and early 70's, the original fitting is a single single centre screw mounting.

It would be secured with a flat washer and hexagon nut from behind. If you can't see this on the inside of the panel, it's possible that it has been glued or stuck on with double sided tape.

Graham

Old 03-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Euro Bumper

I just finished installing euro bumpers on my 1975 series 2. It is relativly easy. The hard part is I had to settle for a less than perfect front bumper. Very rusty. I am still looking for a nice part. See attachement
Originally Posted by SableXJ6C
Changing my car over to Euro bumpers, and one of the issues that arose is that the rear round reflector inboard of the tail lamp will now be behind the over rider making it utterly useless. Need to remove, and convert to the earlier rectangular style under the tail lamp (like the Euro cars). I just can't seem to find anything in either shop manual about how to remove it, and I don't want to damage them or the paint. Can't get to the back side from the trunk, seems to be a sealed area so I assume there is some kind of clip attatchment?

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone tell me how to remove the rear reflectors on a Series 2?-jagbumper-001.jpg  
Old 03-19-2013, 07:24 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Looks great from that distance!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:25 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Really nice ride by the way!

Old 03-20-2013, 10:37 AM
Default I can be more helpful

I made the rear bumper mounts. I don't know how to attached a drawing. So I'll try to describe what I did.
You have to remove the rear mufflers to get at the nut that holds the euro bumper shock. once it is removed the shock will pull out. I took a piece of 5/8 in. ready rod and cut it to the correct lenght plus long enough to turn down the threaded end to the diameter that is on the bumper shock. I the took a piece of aluminum round stock the same size as the bumper shock. This I drilled and threaded, I also cut a groove in the OD for a rubber o-ring. when assembled there wasn't any rattles. This allowed me to snug the new bumper tight to the body.
myron cottrell. 952 448 5330.
Any help on finding a front bumper would be apprceiated
I do have a 475 hp LS and a 4L60e waiting to go in.
The jag engine and trans have under 60,000 miles they work perfectly. I am open to offers, Carbs have just been gone thru.

Originally Posted by SableXJ6C

Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

As for the rear reflectors, the only way at the nut is through the hole where the tail lamp is. I was disappointed to find 2 holes instead of just one, as there is a locator pin that keeps it from turning.

The bumper project is shaping up-- I bought brand new stainless ones from Group Harrington (made in Vietnam). Somewhat disappointed with the quality, and had to re-drill many holes to make them fit. I wouldn't recommend, but it is really hard to find good euro originals and get them here to the states for less than I paid for new stainless. Have the front done, but I'm fighting the exhaust system on one side to get at the bolt behind the bumper shock absorber on the pass side.

I'll post pics soon. I also converted the outer headlamps to 7" with euro light rings. The look is much improved.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:49 AM

When you convert to 7" headlight do still have fresh air. And who the parts. myron

Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Received 262 Likes on 127 Posts

Myron...

Yes, you still have the fresh air option (if your car is currently fitted)...
The surrounds on the headlamps have the same grille (opening) as the 5.5"

You can source most the parts from any vintage British Leyland car... So Triumph, MG, etc. All of the buckets, inner retainers, etc are the same.
The toughest part of the conversion is the outer rims... They can be easily sourced from Canada or the UK. Occasionally they pop up on Ebay.

Jaguar Specialties in CA also has a re manufactured kit that does a nice job.

I've sold several of them but don't have any at the moment..
But it's a simple swap..

Cheers
David
Everyday XJ

Old 11-22-2022, 10:46 AM
Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Rear Bumper Attachment

myronc
Doing the project on my 77 XJC & checking out how others have mounted the rear bumper. Glad to come across your posting & written description. Did you ever get photos ?