Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Car Cover for XJ6 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/car-cover-xj6-214385/)

Culver City 02-25-2019 03:10 PM

Car Cover for XJ6

Seeking a good car cover for 1972 XJ, but am a bit overwhelmed by the endless online options, which very greatly in price and have different fits. Note: The car is garaged, and in comfortable Southern California weather, but because of the design of garage it still gets considerable dust. Looking to not break the bank but have a quality cover. Thanks in advance for you suggestion.

Yellow series3 02-25-2019 04:31 PM

I have two from California Car Cover. Excelent quality and custom fit. I had a problem with the one for my wife's car and they bent over backwards to make it right. Highly recommend.

In the Jaguar Journal I saw a stretch fit indoor cover with the British Union Jack motif. Very cool but, as I remember rather pricey.

Jeff

Culver City 02-25-2019 07:26 PM

Thank you kindly, Jeff. If you have any tips for products to clean the metal interior parts that aren't chrome, 72 XJ (I think it's brushed aluminum) e.g. kick plates and metal area around gearshift etc., I love to hear it.

Jose 02-26-2019 10:11 AM

whatever cover you buy, make sure it is breathable and washable fabric, not plastic or vinyl.

vinyl car covers create mold and moisture and will ruin the paint.

JagCad 02-26-2019 10:32 AM

My Jaguar enjoys a garage. Not dust free by a long shot. I do not cover it. It gets dusty.
But, a few swipes with the oiled brushes and the shine is there.

My Jeep lives outside. Well waxed with high carnauba content. It remains clean and shiny. The plastic not so much. but Meguir's plastic rejuvenator restores it nicely.

Protection from UV is the issue...

Carl

LnrB 02-26-2019 10:45 AM

Nix's Previous Owner sent along a cussem fit car cover when Nix came to live with us, but I've never had it on the car!
Our garage is also dusty (show me one that isn't and I'll show you a showroom) but I think dragging a cover on and off would damage finish on the corners far worse than a Meguair's Ultimate Detailer treatment.

But that's just me.
(';')

Darrenmb 02-27-2019 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 2032663)
Nix's Previous Owner sent along a cussem fit car cover when Nix came to live with us, but I've never had it on the car!
Our garage is also dusty (show me one that isn't and I'll show you a showroom) but I think dragging a cover on and off would damage finish on the corners far worse than a Meguair's Ultimate Detailer treatment.

But that's just me.
(';')

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...9f0e70eab1.jpg
Here ya go... Not a spec of dust... lol mind you, its washed regularly... and no its not mine.... :)

JagCad 02-27-2019 09:47 AM

Aye., and, even the dealer show room cars get a wipe down regularly,.

And the ones on the get get washed, regularly

shine takes effort....

Darrenmb 02-27-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 2033141)
Aye., and, even the dealer show room cars get a wipe down regularly,.

And the ones on the get get washed, regularly

shine takes effort....

I meant garage, not cars... lol. Even in my line of work, I dont see many garages with 7 inch baseboards and crown...

anyways... back to the op.. i do lots of work in my garage, so car is always dusty, I just use the blow end of shop vac to clean it off.. ,

LnrB 02-27-2019 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb (Post 2033117)
Here ya go... Not a spec of dust... lol mind you, its washed regularly... and no its not mine.... :)

AHA!! Not Yours! So the owners of this place do only use it as a Showroom!

I worked for a funny old woman once, who bought a NEW Subaru Outback, and whose garage would look like this if she had the floor done. After some thousands of miles it developed an "oil leak" that left "a dime size spot on the floor."

This was Completely Unacceptable to her so she took it to the dealership for a change of valve cover gaskets (on a flat 4 Subaru) not understanding that once you break into an engine the first time leaks of this sort are usually worse.

And so it was with her Nearly New Outback! After it came back from the dealership there were TWO spots the size of a dime on her Sterile garage floor and she flipped out! So she turned the car back to them and bought something from the Ford dealership.
(';')