Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Car overheated, now it won't start (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/car-overheated-now-wont-start-59702/)

Benhamtroll 08-23-2011 01:04 PM

Car overheated, now it won't start

So, my 84 XJ6 overheated pretty badly the other day. Now it won't start, and when I try coolant pours out of the over flow tube, and seems to be leaking from the left side of the block.

My first impression is maybe the water pump is dead and I lost a soft plug. Any other ideas of how badly I damaged my kitty?

Thanks...

Lumppy47 08-23-2011 08:31 PM

Sounds like a head gasket,or maybe a warped head.

Benhamtroll 08-23-2011 10:16 PM

I had thought that too, except there's no water in the oil...

Doug 08-23-2011 10:32 PM

If it won't start after overheating either the engine is really hurt or coolant soaked something in the ignition and/or fuel injection system.

Since coolant comes out when you crank the engine it sounds like compression is being pumped into the cooling system. Not good.

A compression test might be a good place to start.

Cheers
DD

Benhamtroll 08-23-2011 10:41 PM

See, these are things I didn't want to hear. . . ;-)

Thanks, guys. I'm trying to find a local mechanic who can handle it to take a look. This may go to the back of the 'garage' as a project, though . . . Bummer.

Thermo 08-24-2011 06:19 AM

Ben a simple compression check would tell you a lot about the condition of the cylinders. I am placing money that you have a bad head gasket/warped heads that is causing the compression to be lost. But then, depending on how bad and how long the engine was run with it overheated, you may have caused a lot of other damage (worn rings, cutting of the head due to gas blowing through, etc).

I hope it is nothing more than a set of new head gaskets and all is good. But there is a reason why they say to park the car and let it cool once you start to overheat the motor. Now, there are instances where sacrificing the motor to get out of a bad situation is required.

Benhamtroll 08-27-2011 11:38 PM

Does anyone have an idea of what a standard cost to have a was gasket replaced might be?

What kind of risk would I be taking to do it myself? I have novice-intermediate mechanic skills (I've rebuilt carbs, replaced water pumps, and assisted with a head gasket on a smaller, simpler engine)

Doug 08-27-2011 11:49 PM

I'm guessing $1000-$1200 for head gasket replacement.

You can probably DIY. Get a manual and read up on the dealing with the cam gears and chains. It's not really difficult but it's something you don't want to mess up on. An helper with DOHC experience looking over your should would be a big boon.

The head is usually very difficult to remove...takes time and bottle jacks to push it off. Or removal of all the studs.

Cheers
DD