Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   car starts and will not turn on again once off at operating temp. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/car-starts-will-not-turn-again-once-off-operating-temp-67059/)

bert_vdp 01-24-2012 09:25 AM

car starts and will not turn on again once off at operating temp.

i have an 1984 Jaguar that i have been using as my daily driver, and recently i have had an issue with it, I was running some errands, and i was running around town, and i tried to turn the car on after using it at about an hour, and it wouldn't turn on. the car is at operating temperature, and once i wait for it to cool down it starts up again. the car doesn't shut off. This only happens when i turn the key. can someone help me out? thanks.

amcdonal86 01-24-2012 10:04 AM

Does it crank when you try a hot restart?

Doug 01-24-2012 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bert_vdp (Post 459313)
and once i wait for it to cool down it starts up again. the car doesn't shut off. This only happens when i turn the key.

Not sure if I understand what your saying.

Alan's question is pertinent as a first step.

Cranks-but-won't-start when hot is often an ignition module...but could be many things.

Cheers
DD

bert_vdp 01-27-2012 04:24 PM

I'm sorry i took long to respond, and sorry for the ambiguous statement. i must not have been paying attention to what i was typing. the car cranks yes, what i meant to say is the car briefly fires, and then dies when its warmed up. I replaced the ignition module as i have heard about this, but now i am not sure how to proceed.

NBCat 01-31-2012 12:00 PM

Check to see if you have fuel pressure during restart after a hot-soak. No fuel pressure indicates a leak and loss of 'rest pressure' usually at the fuel pump check valve, cold-start injector or one of the fuel injectors.

bert_vdp 02-03-2012 09:57 AM

will try it out this weekend and will report back

bert_vdp 03-02-2012 04:10 PM

sorry i haven't been able to post on the forums in regard to this issue. We've gone through some strange weather down here. We went through four seasons in one week, and a wet season the week before.
i found that one of the hoses from the fuel rail was leaking fuel after i gave it a gentle tug.

amcdonal86 03-02-2012 04:14 PM

Oh wow, good thing you caught that. These engines have been known to spontaneously combust when the rubber fuel hoses on the rail go bad!

NBCat 03-03-2012 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bert_vdp (Post 477311)
...i found that one of the hoses from the fuel rail was leaking fuel after i gave it a gentle tug.

Once you replace the hose that's leaking, check the remaining hoses during hot soak for seepage. Replacing the leaking hose may or may not be the only problem.

NBCat