Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Cigar Lighter (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/cigar-lighter-4712/)

hrjag 03-02-2008 07:21 AM

Cigar Lighter

Hello, I recently purchased a 1984 XJ6 Vandie, It is a nice running car however the cigar lighters will not take a cell phone charger or any other accessories. It appears to be to shallow. Other than install newer style lighter is there any kind of adapter available for the lighter.

Thanks
Gordon

Jose 03-05-2008 06:30 AM

RE: Cigar Lighter

the cig lighter housing in my '84 is also too big for American-sized radar detector plugs. You can replace it with an American-sizedhousing/power assembly found at any autoparts like AutoZone, PepBoys, O'Reilly's, etc. If you smoke, you will need to use the lighter that comes with it, since the old lighter will not work on the new housing.

To remove the old lighter housing, first disconnect the battery, unless you like getting 12 volt shocks. With a thin spatula or knife, carefully pry the corners of the Trip Computer until it starts to move out. (use a piece of thin cardboard behind the spatula or knife to protect the lacquer on the panel). TIP: use teeth flossingstring to pull the trip computer instead of tools!

Then pull the Trip Computer out of the panel, disconnectingits two wiring connectors, (you need to mark both halves of at least one of the wiring connectors before you disconnect them so you don't confuse them on reconnection and fry the computer!),

The lighter housing assembly is then accesible on the left side of the opening althoughdifficult to remove, takes patience and practice.

Stick you thumb inside the lighter housing to turn the housing around (the reason for having disconnected the battery first!), and disconnect the two power wires, then with your other index and thumb, press the housing's light bulb "piggyback" on its sides to remove it from the housing.

Now you need to hold the rear of the housing with the rightthumb and index fingersas youpress ittowards the panel, and as you turn the inner housing counterclockwise with your left hand thumb, until you feel it "release" fromits 3 notches. You will notice there is a large spring between both inner and outer lighter housings, the spring pushes the outer housing "back" away from the panel to keepthe assembly tight.

Installing the new one might take some experimenting since you will have to adapt the 2 wires and the light bulb piggyback to the new housing, but it can be done.

Last, save the old housing and lighter for me!

Jose

senna 03-10-2008 05:05 PM

I have a 85XJ6 and had the same trouble as I have a battery maintainer pluged into my cigar lighter and the plug fits to loose. I applied some black electrical tape along the barrel of the adpter being carefull not to cover the contacts. Just add one layer at a time untill the adpert fits tight. Works great and you still have a stock Jag.

Jose 03-11-2008 04:42 AM

I think there is some danger in that solution....

badmojo 03-11-2008 11:55 AM

I got a sleeve to fit the plug on my 90!

Jose 03-11-2008 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: badmojo

I got a sleeve to fit the plug on my 90!

mucho better solution.

ken@britishparts.com 03-12-2008 10:37 AM

Jose, it that spanish? :D:D

Jose 03-12-2008 04:17 PM

Ken, sí, Espanish. Do you mean you don't understand my long explanation above?

or are you referring to the name? [sm=feedback.gif]

Jose

ken@britishparts.com 03-13-2008 12:26 PM

Just ribbing you over the "mucho." That and the Taco Bell menu pretty much covers my limited command of the language. My wife does all the Spanish speaking in our house. (Especially, when she's mad!)

Jose 03-13-2008 06:14 PM

as in when she gets mucho angry at you? [sm=exactly.gif]

ken@britishparts.com 03-14-2008 09:05 AM

Do you have any idea how fast a latino woman keep speak when she's mad at you? I can't even hear that fast! I don't know how someone can speak that quickly!!!

Of course, the good times come with the same passion![sm=wootwoot.gif]

Jose 03-14-2008 08:20 PM

myself I likeIrish women.they are just like the latino women, the only difference is that you cannot understand her language, but she's saying the same thing the Irish girl is saying in English. [sm=smiley35.gif]

ken@britishparts.com 03-18-2008 11:24 AM

I work with a fellow by the last name of Gallagher. I tell him all the time, no has ever accused the Irish of speaking English!