Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Common Cabin Water Leaks? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/common-cabin-water-leaks-66217/)

amcdonal86 01-07-2012 08:57 PM

Common Cabin Water Leaks?

I just picked up an '82 XJ6, and I'm trying to sort through the problems one at a time. One of the easier problems I'm trying to solve is the condition of the interior. It basically needs some cleaning and conditioning and probably a new headliner. But it also needs to have the carpet redyed and/or replaced, because there is a water leak somewhere, and the carpet/foam is soaking in some places.

Where are some really common leaking spots? Perhaps the sunroof? Or around the windscreens?

Fraser Mitchell 01-08-2012 03:27 PM

Blocked sunroof drain tubes are a common problem, so the water drains somewhere else ! Also the seal itself is probably well past its best.

Rust damage to the front and rear screen apertures will allow water into the car too. This is a design fault, because bonded windscreens were in their infancy then, and Jaguar would not pay the money to make sure the aperture was free draining. Water accumulates bottom left and right underneath the chrome seal.

People jacking up the car under the toeboard cause distortion and the spot-welded lap join to the floor panel is forced open letting in water whilst underway and driving in rain.

The cantrail water gutter has a seam joint which has been known to leak as well.

Is that enough for now !!

amcdonal86 01-11-2012 10:27 PM

Thanks Fraser. I hope that it's not rust that's causing the carpet to be wet--that would be a nightmare. Although I don't plan on taking it out in the rain much, I want to know that if I did get caught in the rain it wouldn't constantly flood the interior!

Fraser Mitchell 01-12-2012 03:55 AM

Also check the drains for the heater intake plenum chamber. These are two large diameter rubber tubes attached at the bulkhead in the engine compartment. The bottoms of these tubes are molded so as to be almost closed, (to stop engine compartment air from being drawn in), but these can get blocked by crud over the years.

Basically it is a matter of drying the car out, then checking with a hose at the various locations I outlined. A small torch can be useful in looking around inside the corners of the car.

Have you visible corrosion at the windscreen aperture ? I am not sure if Jaguar had made the improvements in this area in 1982. Other thing is the seal itself may have let go over a few inches at the bottom. This happened to me shortly after I had a new windscreen fitted. If you take the dash top off, you should be able to see if water is coming round the seal. The aperture has a rubber seal round it, and the screen sits on top of this, and is glued in by the sealant.

There was a big programme to sort out the big issues up until the XJ40 came out. I'kll try finding my XJ Companion book which goes through them.

If its any consolation, my '80 did not leak after I got the screen fixed and a distorted toeboard resealed.