Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   complete rear end replace vs. part by part (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/complete-rear-end-replace-vs-part-part-61910/)

pdog2000 10-09-2011 10:54 PM

complete rear end replace vs. part by part

hi all i need new springs and shocks for my xj6 series III...i am trying to figure out if i should replace the whole thing or just the springs and shocks...i can get a used rear end for about 500 and the springs and shocks are about the same...what do you guys normally do...also when my mechanic replaces the rear shocks and springs what else normally needs to be replaced? my radius arms look very rusted

Grant Francis 10-10-2011 05:37 AM

Mmmmmmmm, how long is a piece of string??????.

I have NEVER replaced springs, front or rear on ANY Jaguar in waaaaaaaaay tooooooo many years.

Shockers, YES, heaps, and the rears a PAIN, but doable in a day taking your time.

What else is needed, well, only you will know that when you actually lay eyes on the bits and pieces back there.

I usually do the trailing arm bushes at the same time, due to the front (of the rears) shocker has to come off to do them at a later time, and I am basically lazy for repeat jobs, and probably overdo things a tad.

The balance of the rear end is robust, and NOT prone to any silly items going AWOL.

The cradle "V" mounts do seperate with age, so could be on your list of suspect items.

pdog2000 10-10-2011 03:58 PM

i did some more crawling around...aside from one leaking shock the rest look ok...the car does lean to the left in the rear which i am pretty sure is a bad spring...so i am planning to replace all 4 springs and 2 shocks and reuse 2 shocks...the radius arms really scare me though...they are just so darn rusted...

Fraser Mitchell 10-10-2011 04:12 PM

Sounds like your radius arms are shot. These are not expensive to replace, you normally buy the arm already made up with its bushes. How are the body mounts for these ? This area of the body is a notorious rust point.

The suspension subframe (cradle) mounts will probably also be shot, so budget for these, but they are also not expensive, although you need four, of course.

If it was me, I'd replace all four shocks and the springs. Check the hub carrier trunnion bearings too, as well as the wheel bearings.

And look out the grease gun hiding in your garage somewhere !

pdog2000 10-10-2011 06:25 PM

the radius arms are really scaring me...the mounts and frame looks so rusted that they look like they will snap when i take them out...is there a way i can get the mounts welded back in if they snap the mount to frame connection

Grant Francis 10-11-2011 05:54 AM

The mounts are held to the car by 2 long thru bolts EACH, with nuts on the inside face, so broken bolts is no big deal. The mounts are held to the cradle by 3 (I think( smaller bolts and nuts, and again, broken items will be no big deal, NOTHING is welded, or should be. The mounts are a vulcanised item, and that is how it is.

The cradle itself is known to crack, either from loose diff mount bolts, and/or abuse, and/or lack of maintenence.

Sitting low on one side may be a spring, but could also be the mounting for the shocker at the top of the cradle has torn out from rust, coz you say it is "RUSTY". Could also be the collets have slipped past the locking ring on the shocker, seen that before, and rust again is not going to help here.

That s/h cradle assembly would be a good idea in my opinion, if only for spare parts, coz if your cradle is rusted at the mounting areas it should NOT be reused.

We are very dry where I hang out, but I have had 3 cradles that have been split badly, and a s/h cradle was fitted, transferring all the bits from one to the other, coz welding is really not an option as far as I am concerned, but that is me.

As already said, do ALL 4 shocks, real false economy to do any other option.