Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   considering a III series from 1982 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/considering-iii-series-1982-a-214908/)

xjfourty 03-11-2019 06:35 PM

considering a III series from 1982

Hello,
I am considering a III series from 1982 with only 80000km.
I read somewhere that the earliest III series have usually more problems than the latest models (1987). Is it true ? This one has a stick shift (no auto transmission) but looks in a pretty good shape. Is there any engine serial number range that I should avoid ? Where I can read the motor serial number ?
thanks

Yellow series3 03-11-2019 08:49 PM

A stick shift is cool. 4 or 5 speed? I have a 1979 SIII and love it. Maybe they had more problems in the beginning but if you found one that survived this long, and if it has been maintained, most of the issues were resolved long ago. Be sure to read Doug's Buyers Guide for things to look for. Of course, they all had quirky electrical connections. So plan on checking all the connections, fuses, grounds, etc.

Jeff

Doug 03-11-2019 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by xjfourty (Post 2038444)
Hello,
I am considering a III series from 1982 with only 80000km.
I read somewhere that the earliest III series have usually more problems than the latest models (1987). Is it true ?

Yes.

Maybe no.

Probably doesn't matter.

What DOES matter is present day condition and the care it has received. An excellent condition 1982 will make for a happier experience than a fair/poor 1987, and vice-versa. Whatever quality differences that might have been a concern 20-25-30 years ago are probably not relevant today. Be it an '82 or an '87, either one has stood the test of time.

This one has a stick shift (no auto transmission)
Assuming it's a factory-job and not a conversion, it must be a grey-market import if it is in the USA....as all 'official' USA cars were automatics. If you pass on the car, others here might be interested.

but looks in a pretty good shape. Is there any engine serial number range that I should avoid ? Where I can read the motor serial number ?
thanks
The engine serial number is on the left side of the engine, right where the engine and transmission bolt together. I'm not aware of a 'preferred' or 'avoid' range of numbers but others will chime in

Cheers
DD

zdmz 03-12-2019 01:14 AM

I don't know the answer to any of your questions, but, If I found a manual xj I would be all over that.

xjfourty 03-12-2019 12:33 PM

Dear friends I forgot to mention the car is in Italy, I am leaving USA in 1 month for good, and I found this one in my city.
I do not know if the stick shift is 4 or 5 gears.
1982 xj6
also in Italy they are more expensive than here in USA on the market, because the 4.2 engine was quite uncommon there, people preferred the 3.2 liter even on the xj40 and xj6 X300 because of gas cost reason. In italy GAS costs $8/gallon and pretty much in the rest of Europe it;s not much different.
Anyway looks like a nice car, I will probably go to see it, it is considered a pure collector item over there, but still affordable.

icsamerica 03-12-2019 02:35 PM

White / Black / manual, Nice. I'd buy it in a NY minute as long as it didn't have any major issues and checked out Ok.

Yellow series3 03-12-2019 03:13 PM

Wow, double wow. A vintage XJ6 tooling around Italy. Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck.

Yellow series3 03-12-2019 03:24 PM

It even has the little wipers on the headlights. Sitting in a nice garage with other nice cars; all good signs. The price doesn't look out of line even with currency conversion if it is a really nice car. Keep us posted on your progress.

Fraser Mitchell 03-12-2019 05:06 PM

If the car has a manual gearbox it is in all likelihood the 3.4 litre model. These came either with auto or manual gearboxes. The factory-fitted gearbox was a five speeder also used in the Rover car being made at the time. The LT1 box is, I think, its designation. This gearbox is perfectly OK with the 3.4 litre, but was regarded by Jaguar as marginal with the torque of the 4.2 litre. No 4.2 ever had a manual gearbox from the factory, but some later owners may have fitted manual gearboxes from Getrag. The 3.4 was regarded as the "cheap" option, and didn't have the extras that were on the 4.2 cars. Also the 3.4 always used SU carburettors, EFI was never fitted.

Looking at the photos of the car there isn't one of the engine compartment that would have straightaway told you which engine is fitted.

sov211 03-14-2019 11:18 PM

The 3.4 engined car was not available in North America (neither was the manual transmission, obviously) but some cars have been converted to manual transmission, so either this is a European import or it is one that has been converted. Photos would decide the question.

please ignore the above...I missed the bit about the car being in Italy! And the badge on the trunk/boot panel indicates that it is a 4.2 litre car. It looks to be in very good condition.