XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converted 1987 XJ12 high front suspention

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Converted 1987 XJ12 high front suspention

Hi, all. While searched, I am sure I am missing some forum threads on this-- has to be more common than I.
Last year I acquired a converted XJ12; has a Chev or GM small block The front end sits higher as a result of the lighter weight of the transplanted engine.
At this time, I do not see a need to replace the existing engine, so I am basing my suspension needs on the current state. How might I best go about a solution for correcting the upward tilt?

I have heard of people modifying existing or sourcing alternate springs to accommodate, others indicating that custom springs are the correct way to go.

Thoughts from experienced folks on this?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:28 PM

Dang, I spelt suspension wrong... :?

Old 05-02-2017, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 790 Posts

Both 6 cylinder and the 12 cylinder are much heavier than the small block Chevy. More so if you've got an aluminum intake and heads. Your best bet is to Source a set of xjs 6 cylinder front Springs this is the car or the xjs that came with the AJ 6 or aj16 engine. If you can find a set of those Springs you will only need to add 1/4 inch spacer to the lower spring plates for the correct ride height. If you have an all Iron small block Chevy you can probably get away with the xj6 springs and use spacers on the lower spring plate to get the right ride height. The V12 Springs there is no hope they will need to be changed for a small block Chevy they are just too stiff and there is about a 400 pound difference between the two engines more if you've used aluminum parts

Old 05-02-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Robert;

If that spell failure is the worst thing you have or will do, life is fine.

Two fixes:

1. Swap in springs from an I6 powered car.

2. Add spacers between the lower control arms and the spring pads.

My car is a LUMP. As it came to me, I6 powered, the "nose down" stance was pleasing.

Out with the ailing six, and in with the much lighter LT1, and the nose came to spec.

I like it that way, a whole lot !!

Check with Jaguar Specialties or David Boger @ everydayxj for the fix.

Carl

Carl

Old 05-02-2017, 02:37 PM

Thank you, Carl.
You make a good mention, I had not considered... I did want to be sure not to be nose down on this. Preference is parallel with the ground. Mainly because our rural roads are awful and I don't want an asphalt scoop like my Kia is.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I recall finding a company that sold springs specifically for Jags with chevy conversion. I dont recall off the top of my head who, i'll hunt around and see if i can find it.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by itchyback
I recall finding a company that sold springs specifically for Jags with chevy conversion. I dont recall off the top of my head who, i'll hunt around and see if i can find it.
I found Broken Kitty (John's cars) to have mention of such. That they fabricate springs for the conversion, but information on the website is not too clear and the email address available there bounced back on me.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Johns cars have never been much as to email. FAX and phone, preferably the latter, has worked for me.

I don't think they have the capability of making coil springs. But, are very clever in finding sources and stocking stuff.

I used their kit to do my LT! into 83 XJ. The documents mentioned the V8 in lieu of V12 issue. Solution at the time was, use springs from an I6 powered car.

There is a company in Illinois, I think. Eaton Spring ... They can probably wind up a pair, but for more than a few $'s.

Or, get a good used pair from David Boger at everydayxj. Good guy and posts here.
Always a big help.

Carl

Old 05-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

king springs from AUS makes specific springs for the chev swap i believe, should be on ebay somewhere

Old 05-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I found it but unfortunately i dont know if they will fit your car.

https://www.sparesbox.com.au/car-springs
part number: 9992-KJFL-05
Fitment: Front, With Chevrolet 350 Motor; When Fitting Jaguar XJ

I hope it is of help to you, or at least maybe to anyone else looking

The following users liked this post:
Robert Leonardo (05-13-2017)