Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   correct orientation of twin SU suction chambers (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/correct-orientation-twin-su-suction-chambers-9885/)

mongrelbeast 12-28-2008 04:23 PM

correct orientation of twin SU suction chambers

Hello.

I own a series 2 1979 Daimler (2S11783BW) 4.2l XJ6L in old English white with red leather. Its the best smelling car interior I've owned!

Anyway I have a couple of queries.

#1. I removed the twin SU carburetors, dismantled and cleaned them. They went back together effortlessly, so effortlessly that I didn't read the manual...

Then I saw Haynes and co. said that I should have marked the relationship between the suction chamber and body.

The suction chambers have 3 fastening holes cast at uneven increments around their 360 degree circumference i.e. not 60 degrees to each other. Two of the holes are almost at 180 degrees to each other, the other hole is (obviously) at a smaller angle to the other two.

With the manual's comment about marking spatial relationships of chamber and carburettor body, I am worried that they are incorrectly mounted. I cannot remember the original positioning and don't wish to take them apart again unnecessarily; the threads on aluminium castings are notorious for all manner of disasters.

My questions regarding this are:
(a) Are the uneven suction chamber mounting bolt arrangements (viewing the carburettors as pairs) mirror images of each other or side by side?
(b) Should I worry?
(c) Is there only one way for them to be re-assembled?

#2. The roof lining material itself is in perfect condition but is partially sagging. I will only refit its backing (some kind of board thing that is attached to the roof) if absolutely necessary, its looks an annoying and finicky task, not to mention the cost of the part. I'd rather just re-glue the liner. I tried this with the correct product (Ados upholsterers spray-on adhesive) but the porosity of both the roof lining material and the backing prevented good adhesion.

My questions here are:
(a) can I 'size' the backing so that it takes the adhesive? (in the same way one sizes house linings so that wall-paper sticks)
(b) is there a better product or way of accomplishing this?

regards
nick

ArmyJag 12-28-2008 05:44 PM

RE: correct orientation of twin SU suction chambers

1. SU Carbs = The Devil, I'm no help here.

2. I have had really good luck with 3M Hi-Tack 76 Spray Adhesive. I redid the headliner in the Range Rover and it lasted 5-6 years before the foam came apart from the fabric, not the glue letting go.

mongrelbeast 12-29-2008 06:15 AM

Thank you Armyjag for your prompt response.

I assume that the backing of the roof liner in a Range Rover is similar so I will track down this product and give it a go.

Great comment from the highly popular Reagan, an underestimated speaker and raconteur.

JagtechOhio 12-29-2008 07:12 AM

Because the mounting lugs are asymmetrical, you can't fit the suction chamber the wrong way. I would guess that the shop manual referenceis pointingout that the chambers should not be interposed left and right, as the pistons and suction chambers were selectively fit when originally assembled. I'm sure you didn't mix stuff up between the two carbs, and I'm not even sure you'd have a problem if you did.

mongrelbeast 12-29-2008 07:26 AM

JagtechOhio, you are right on all counts. I didn't even think of mixing the parts up from the carbs, that would be too silly, even for me!

regards

ArmyJag 12-29-2008 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: mongrelbeast

Thank you Armyjag for your prompt response.

I assume that the backing of the roof liner in a Range Rover is similar so I will track down this product and give it a go.

Great comment from the highly popular Reagan, an underestimated speaker and raconteur.

It looks to be same material as my 89 XJ6 so I would think so. Also a low cost place to pick up the new headliner fabric is Jo-ann fabrics. If your in the US of course.

Reagan, did have some great quotes.

mongrelbeast 12-29-2008 03:16 PM

Good morning/evening.

Having a first-hand look at the vastness of U.S. automotive products is a distant dream I'm afraid, I'm 15,000 thousand miles away in Auckland, New Zealand. Ebay though is brilliant if you are careful.

3M exists here, although in relaxed and green NZ, we shut down completely for Xmas, we are old school antipodeans, probably similar to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut etc so I'll have to wait a week or so till they re-open.

Jaguars are still very desirable cars here too, my present car is a stepping stone to getting a White Series 1 Daimler 2-door V12 with red upholstery, my dream car (apart from my 1971 Skippy series 2A which was stolen a few years back) Most people here don't even know my car is the executive version of a Jaguar, they say 'where is the cat thing!'

It may interest you to know that here we have 4 versions of the same cars; both Daimler VDP and Jaguar VDP as there are no conflicts with branding rights.

On the matter of applying this adhesive, did you use a brush or aerosol? Did you apply it to both liner and material? Did you use hands or a roller to smooth it down? I ask because the instructions on products are often wrong. I've used aerosol before inside the car with no overspray problems.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

regards
nick

mongrelbeast 12-29-2008 03:17 PM

its available in both aerosol and brush versions here...

ArmyJag 12-29-2008 05:23 PM

I used the aerosol.

I pulled the headliner out of the car.
Pulled the old liner off
scraped all the foam off the backer
Scrubbed the backer down
Wiped with rubbing alcohol to get any residue off from cleaning
sprayed with the glue very liberally
slowly smoothed the new headliner on using my hands and a small roller
rolled the edges over to the backside of the backer and glued it there as well
let it dry and re-install

I'll be doing the headliner in my 89 XJ6 this weekend, I'll make sure to take pics and do a write up on it.