Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   dash board kits (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/dash-board-kits-122635/)

oldjagowner 07-24-2014 04:03 AM

dash board kits

hello to all jaguar owners does any one know if its possible to purchase a complete dash refurbishment kit for a ser3 xj6 sov. 1985 on line I liveinaustralia and bit hard to source from this end thanks:icon_playing:

Darrenmb 07-24-2014 10:47 AM

If by chance you are talking about the stick on plastic wood stuff. I would suggest not doing it. I did it to mine and although it looked good from 20 ft. Up close i did not like it at all! This is of course just a personal preference, i ended up buying a vdp dash on ebay and sanding it and refinishing it myself. There are vendors out there that are selling refurbished dashboards, but i found them a wee bit expensive. I have photos available if you need to see the plastic stick on wood.

Darren

gmachinz 07-24-2014 11:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've designed a mockup from the original dash insert-Ill be test fitting it this weekend and then having a final piece cut from a cherrywood hardboard piece which will be sealed on both sides and polyurethane coated with a UV inhibitor. Here's a pic of the mockup made from 3/8" hardboard cut on a CNC wood router table. I've installed AutoMeter Pro Comp gauges to replace the OEM ones. If you would like a prefinished ready to go dash trim, PM me and I can work something out with you. It took about 5 hours just to set up the CAD drawing to prepare a file from which this board could be cut from.

This trim houses 3&3/8" speedo and tach along with 2&1/8" gauges. I stock Autometer gauges as well. Here's a pic of my work on this so far....

oldjagowner 07-25-2014 06:09 AM

dash board renewall

hi gmachinz when u have finished the project would you post some picts of them also would I be able to reverse the wood work to fit a rhdrive car:icon_bike:

Roger Mabry 07-25-2014 08:35 AM

Get new dash wood

I have purchased two sets from CG Woodcraft, Gary is very helpful and they
fit fine with all the hidden holes drilled properly... your choice of finishes...

gmachinz 07-25-2014 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you need it RH drive, the file can simply be switched so yes...not a problem. I am in the middle of assembling a wiring harness designed for the AutoMeter gauges. Everything I've labelled and have made it plug n play. While this is for aftermarket gauges, I also have a CAD file for the stock setup with indicator light provisions as well. I did not research where to get these inserts but since I handle every aspect of custom builds including electrical harnesses I like to integrate as many things as I can to make it easy.

gmachinz 07-26-2014 08:08 AM

I also thought about refinishing one in carbon fiber and converting the tan over to black interior just because it would be a killer look! I may have to look for my own Jaguar to build after I finish my dads....this has been a really fun project so far-a lot different from what I'm used to building but I bring my own things to it so it keeps it interesting.