Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Door handles,locks,trims (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/door-handles-locks-trims-124233/)

o1xjr 08-16-2014 02:10 AM

Door handles,locks,trims

5 Attachment(s)
I know this thread will bore most of you to tears,but..............
We had drought breaking rain today,second day we have had rain since I bought the XJ6 in December(the last time it was only wet enough to wet the road)
So I decided I would finally fit the full set of external door handles,internal handles ,key locks for front doors.
I bought these from a wreck the first week I got this car as they all had better chrome than mine and I had different keys for the two doors.
This was also a good opportunity to fix all those mis-matched screws in the woodwork and internal door panels. And remove about 5 layers of old glue from the doors and fix the sagging door trims that have been pissing me off since I got the car.
And replace the window winding mechanisms in the front right door and left rear door as they had worn gears and the handles slipped when you got to to top or bottom of the winding.
A very productive day and all looks better than it was this morning. I hate working on the interior of cars,I would rather be doing real mechanical work under the car or the bonnet.
Same key fits both front doors now,How cool is that!
Replacing door internals is not a fun job.

Attachment 93233Attachment 93234Attachment 93235Attachment 93236

Look how dry my grass was yesterday. See below.

Attachment 93237

paulyling 08-16-2014 03:52 AM

Thanks for sharing bud

Fireball looks great! Cant wait to meet Fireball next week!

o1xjr 08-16-2014 04:11 AM

You just got to remember she is photogenic, In reality she looks like the grumpy old pay dragon in your office!

paulyling 08-16-2014 05:29 AM

man I'm not sure where you work but our payroll chicks are smokin hot! lol

either way, Thursdays gonna be cool mate.

so you got black interior? from the pics it looks real nice inside. Does the XJ6 have wood grain interior? Post some pics mate :)

o1xjr 08-16-2014 05:52 AM

5 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by paulyling (Post 1037319)
man I'm not sure where you work but our payroll chicks are smokin hot! lol

so you got black interior? from the pics it looks real nice inside. Does the XJ6 have wood grain interior? Post some pics mate :)

Here is some inside pics from the add off gumtree I first saw the car. The last pic is all the goodies I stripped from the same wreck the door parts came from. Still got boxes of bits from that car to go in when I get around to it.
...As for the smokin' pay lady,we just had an office party for her 60th aniversary of starting with the company. She was hired by the owners Grandfather in 1954.
A real living dragon lady if I ever saw one. She even has her own red painted parking spot with her name about 300mm high.

Attachment 93244 Attachment 93245Attachment 93246Attachment 93247Attachment 93248

paulyling 08-16-2014 07:55 PM

ha ha ha...pay dragon!!

man thanks for posting the pics. She looks nice inside. I must say I am a bit of a fan of the black leather on the the door etc. It looks kinda gangsterish lol!

what are the gauges used in your center console? I gather one is a clock (?) but what are the other four ?

oh....btw

love the new Regional Coordinator badge !

anjum 08-16-2014 09:23 PM

Nice handles!

LnrB 08-16-2014 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1037243)
[...] I hate working on the interior of cars,I would rather be doing real mechanical work under the car or the bonnet.

[...]

I, on the other hand, Love working on those details that are so often left to stack up until the list is daunting!

Because, no matter how well the engine runs, or the trans shifts, or how quiet the dif is, if ya can't open the doors, or open the windows, or adjust the seats, or the heater blower(s) won't work, or the courtesy lights are dark, or the glove box opens hard, or the console lid is loose or a million other fiddly little details, the car is a pain to drive or ride in.

These are but a few of a list of 87 items I have dealt with in my car in the first 6 months of my ownership to make it livable.
(';')

o1xjr 08-16-2014 11:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
gauges are all the essentials (and they all work properly.)

Attachment 93325Attachment 93326

o1xjr 08-17-2014 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 1037824)
I, on the other hand, Love working on those details that are so often left to stack up until the list is daunting!
(';')

Girl stuff/guy stuff is different. Even though we share a common interest in working on our cars,that interior thing is still a bit girly and left until it has to attended to.
You know what I mean I hope. We have inside jobs and outside jobs,and it works well for us...I am glad hanging washing on the line comes under inside jobs(because no matter how many times I hang it out,I put the pegs wrong place or something.)
But I do get to scoop dog shit as that is definately listed as an outside job.

paulyling 08-17-2014 05:33 AM

lol at the fire danger sign! you crack me up !

there is something about the Analoge gauges that float may boat. very awesome

o1xjr 08-17-2014 05:38 AM

I just love looking at all those gauges, better than little icons and lights around the speedo. Because I forget to look at the speedo anyway.

LnrB 08-17-2014 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by o1xjr (Post 1037883)
Girl stuff/guy stuff is different. Even though we share a common interest in working on our cars,that interior thing is still a bit girly and left until it has to attended to.
You know what I mean I hope.

Oh yes, I know. By your own admission above the doors have to almost not open even with Herculean effort before you give then attention. And someone can fumble around inside a dark car for Years before you'll think of replacing the courtesy light. Yes, I know very well! I LIVE WITH ONE OF YOU!

We have inside jobs and outside jobs,and it works well for us...I am glad hanging washing on the line comes under inside jobs(because no matter how many times I hang it out,I put the pegs wrong place or something.)
And you wonder why she won't drive Fireball.

But I do get to scoop dog shit as that is definately listed as an outside job.
That, among other reasons, is why we don't have a dog!
(';')

JagCad 08-17-2014 10:02 AM

He,he!!!

Yes, the Venetian vs Martian controversy.

Most of the stuff in my Jaguar works. Except:

1. None of my keys fits the passenger door lock?? So, when I have a female passenger, I do a pirouette to unlock via the driver door, then open the door for her!! Males on their own!

2. The pillar light switch on the driver's A post doesn't work unless fiddled with. Just worn out. No issue I can find my way in in the dark.

3. The latch for the cubby lid doesn't work. Lost a part. I know where to get a replacement. Same as a Maytag washer door!! But, it doesn't really need one. Gravity does just fine.

4. The speedo is nuts. I have the part to align GM pulses to Jaguar pulses, but have procrastinated in the install. By calibration, I know that a speedo read of 40mph is 25!!

The other day, my daughter's Passat stranded her. The flat bed brought it and her here. We put her stuff in my jeep and I sent her home in it. That Jeep lights up like a Christmas tree in the dark,. slick interior and dash lighting. Far more than the Jaguar!! Turns out the AC compressor went adrift. Serpentine jumped off. One missing bolt and one busted one is the diagnosis. Super tough access!! Lots of stuff
"'stuffed" into that tight engine bay!!

Way back a while my almost new to me 88 Tbird had a full digital dash. neat car, a retired Budget rent a car. Very good pricing. But, it's 85 MPH limited Speedo was a distraction at night. All the other dash lights dimmed on command. Solution: A business card covered it nicely!!!!

Carl

Series1fan 08-23-2014 08:33 PM

Anything to watch out for?

Couple of you guys here have obviously had the door panels off to work on door handles and stuff.

My driver's side front door handle is getting very loose.

When taking off the interior cladding is there anything I need to be especially careful about so I don't rip anything? Ex. does the cladding pop out as one piece after the retaining wood and top plastic/ambla cap is removed?

And do the front and back door interior panels come out in just the same way?

Thanks!

LnrB 08-23-2014 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Series1fan (Post 1042496)
Couple of you guys here have obviously had the door panels off to work on door handles and stuff.

[...]

Thanks!

I see you did find your way over to our room. Welcome again.
(';')

o1xjr 08-24-2014 03:26 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Series1fan (Post 1042496)

My driver's side front door handle is getting very loose.

When taking off the interior cladding is there anything I need to be especially careful about so I don't rip anything? Ex. does the cladding pop out as one piece after the retaining wood and top plastic/ambla cap is removed?

And do the front and back door interior panels come out in just the same way?

Thanks!

Nothing too technical about it,just take your time and make sure you get down on the floor and look up from the underside so you don't miss any screws. And the top of the trim is glued to the door with contact adheasive,peel it back very slowley and carefuly using acetone or alcohol to help.

Attachment 94032Attachment 94033Attachment 94034

Series1fan 08-24-2014 05:33 PM

Thanks, gents

Thanks for the welcome, LnrB, and thanks for the advice/pics of the doors, o1xjr. Glad to hear there are no complicating factors.

o1xjr 09-01-2014 06:55 AM

6 Attachment(s)
I had a few bits off the rear of the car today so while I was there with the fuel system pulled apart and tail lights out I removed all the chrome on the rear and gave it a good polish and polished off the stains on the paint around the badges and boot trims, lock etc. And finally straightened up the crooked 2 on the 4.2 badge that has been getting to me every time I approach the car from the rear.
Starting to get to the small jobs that were left until mechanicals are sorted.
Before pics were taken the day I got the car, 27/12/2013.

Attachment 94707Attachment 94708Attachment 94709Attachment 94710Attachment 94711Attachment 94712

Jose 09-01-2014 07:06 AM

:icon_nut: excuse me but, are the pictures reversed? why is the steering on the wrong side? :icon_crackup: