Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Electrical tasks and others in coordintion (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/electrical-tasks-others-coordintion-165626/)

JagCad 07-08-2016 09:48 AM

Electrical tasks and others in coordintion

Time to attend to Jaguar issues amongst others.

1. Change oil and filter. Material on the bench. Rockauto sourced filter and
ACE Hardware sourced 20-50 oil. Discount coupons are good. I use my stamped steel ramps for this.

2. New Halogen inner seal beams to replace originals. Rockauto sourced. Nose up attitude good for "experienced" back.

Caveat: Trans in Park and rear wheel "chocked".

3. Check park brake at the calipers. Installed wrong or not at all.

4. SOG. Speedo and Tach don't light up when headlamp switch turned
on. Noted in dark parking garage yesterday whilst on errands!! Gear selector dark as well. Blown fuse or holder ?? If so, why? Or did I precipitate that by messing with the dimmer ? Warning and "check engine" lights are fine. Fuse block access easier with nose up.

5. Swap from 5 1/4" outters to 7"'s easier with nose up? Yes,
bur all stuff not here yet. Deferred a bit

Delays amongst others!! Install new CO detector in hallway. Check smoke
detector.

Carl

sanchez 07-08-2016 01:15 PM

I just received my 7 inch headlamp bezels. A bit on the expensive side but went for it anyway. Found them on Ebay UK. The vendor stated on Ebay that he was not shipping to the US. I spoke to him in person and he relented.
My headlamp buckets are from my MGB spares.

JagCad 07-08-2016 01:38 PM

Another Jag addict shared a pair of buckets. Original Jag stuff. A bit tattered but not beyond hope. New Halogen sealed beams from Rockauto here. Bid on MG trim rings on E Bay. USA. Spare pair of Bezels, Ok if ceaned up. But, are %+. Grinding needed. At least
one other has done it and got a decent result. We will see how good a grinder I am!!!

Ooops, Lunch time, I'm hungry!!

And all for today. Started stuff at 4:30 AM PDT. I'm a morning guy....

Carl

Doug 07-08-2016 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1494884)
4. SOG. Speedo and Tach don't light up when headlamp switch turned
on. Noted in dark parking garage yesterday whilst on errands!! Gear selector dark as well. Blown fuse or holder ?? If so, why? Or did I precipitate that by messing with the dimmer ?

What about the smaller gauges? Are they illuminated as normal? If so, the panel light circuit is fundamentally operational and you have some burned out bulbs and/or a branch of the circuit has become undone downstream of the fuse.

As I recall the circuit does branch out downstream of the dimmer rheostat so there might indeed be a fiddle factor involved here

cheers
DD

JagCad 07-09-2016 09:31 AM

Thanks Doug, I'll look!

Fiddle factor! Yup, I did mess with the dimmer knob. Not too long ago. A Only twisted it back and forth. I did move from dim to dimmer !!
Why did I not leave well enough alone !!! I'll probably never learn.

Carl

JagCad 07-09-2016 11:39 AM

Doug:

Just checked. Nope, the smaller gauges dark as well. More rotating back and forth on the dimmer control does nothing. It or the fuse prime suspects.

Deferred, other stuff to resolve.

Carl