Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Feeling like a virgin on prom night (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/feeling-like-virgin-prom-night-65409/)

busfreak 12-23-2011 09:21 PM

Feeling like a virgin on prom night

I am feeling like a virgin on prom night tonight. I just picked up my 84 xj6 and drove it home on a 100 mile trip and it ran perfect. The car drives like a dream considering it has 70k miles. I am so exited, I'v always wanted an xj but it had to be British racing green and it had to have the wire wheels. I found this one in Amarillo Texas and it is great condition except for the paint, it has some cracking in it. I paint for a hobby so it is no big deal.

Doug 12-24-2011 12:48 AM

Far out. Ser IIIs are great cars :-)

Cheers
DD

sneal46 12-25-2011 10:34 AM

Post some pics if you get a chance. We all like to see what the cars look like. Keep up with maintenance and the car will treat you right. One of the best road cruisers I have ever driven.

mccain1 12-27-2011 12:16 PM

I just picked up one of these cars too. XJ6 Vanden Plas. Sweet cars. Would be interested in swapping info on it..

busfreak 12-28-2011 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by mccain1 (Post 446161)
I just picked up one of these cars too. XJ6 Vanden Plas. Sweet cars. Would be interested in swapping info on it..

I will post picks as soon as I get a chance I get.

Flint Ironstag 01-05-2012 12:12 AM

Series III is a true classic. Amarillo... :-)

Fraser Mitchell 01-05-2012 07:06 AM

it is great condition except for the paint, it has some cracking in it. I paint for a hobby so it is no big deal.
Just be aware that the original paint used TPA (Thermoplastic Acrylic). Repainting over this is problematic, and your new paint could suffer early failure. Even Jaguar had problems when painting the cars, as repairs to the paint finish due to dirt or production line damage never lasted long. The system ceased to be used when Ford converted to Clear-over-Base sometime in the late 80s or 90s.

General opinion is that TPA should be removed before repainting, i.e go back to bare steel, at least for the external surfaces which need to "look good".

busfreak 01-06-2012 11:10 AM

Thanks

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell (Post 450208)
Just be aware that the original paint used TPA (Thermoplastic Acrylic). Repainting over this is problematic, and your new paint could suffer early failure. Even Jaguar had problems when painting the cars, as repairs to the paint finish due to dirt or production line damage never lasted long. The system ceased to be used when Ford converted to Clear-over-Base sometime in the late 80s or 90s.

General opinion is that TPA should be removed before repainting, i.e go back to bare steel, at least for the external surfaces which need to "look good".

Thank you I have been looking for that answer for ever. I now have a big chore in front of me to knock out the paint to the bare metal. Thank you so much once again.