XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally...gave it away

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 10:10 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Finally...gave it away

Took me 16 months to find a new owner for the FREE XJ6 engine / trans and all the parts that came with it, starter, alt, fuel injection system etc. that came from my 86 VDP which now has a 350 in it.

I guess as these cars become older,... there are fewer owners who are interested in rebuilding a used Jag 6 cylinder.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had the good luck to come across an ad on Craigslist for a lot of FREE XJ8 parts. Some of the parts I gave away with the engine and related stuff (axles, uprights and outboard brakes and the muffler system I kept for future rear brake swap).
I was quite surprised that it took so long to find a new owner for all this stuff that I was offering,... free.

So I am now anxious to hear how the car sounds with the XJ8 exhaust installed with the 350 ,...hoping it will be quiet,...needed a bit of fabrication but I was surprised at how close the fit was. I kept the almost new XJ6 mufflers before the cage and the resonators after the cage and used the XJ8 center muffler connected to the Suncoast down pipes...added a few new pipe hangers ... sweet...and the price was right.. " $ 0.00 "

Last edited by alynmurray; 06-27-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, that is just about what I did with my left overs!! I did sell some of the smaller stuff. Fan, got stuffed for that. Trust system misfired.
Ac compressor, alternator, air pump[, shift tower, ECU, distributor, fan shroud and radiator all sold. Very reasonable pricing. Stuffed engine. Not surprised no one wanted it. but, the good BW?? Anyway, a ""old Jag parts collector" agreed to haul them away, "at no charge"!!! Pleased wifey, so that was good.

A fellow Jaguar owner took me up on m y offer for the starter for free.
so far, no pickup???

AVM?? bunch odd odds and ends?? Next garage clean up, the totes they are in might be repurposed!!!

Same for some extra GM stuff. A couple of totes of that stuff. My LT1 package came with a lot of extras??? Includes a fuel pump fuel guage sender. GM, probably fits a lot of stuff??

Sold the GM fans. Thought they were too big. Now, later, I realized just might have fit, if staggered! Oh, well, the set son gave me fit nice and work nicely. Intended for mid 90's Mustang, I think??

Xfinity, so far, so good. Modem very noisy??? another tech session,. oh me?

Carl

Old 06-27-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I got lucky. The old 4.2 6-cylinder from my car was gone in 24 hours. Listed it as a freebie and a guy snapped it up for rebuilding for use in his E-Type. The only condition was that he had to take a lot of other 'stuff'...that neither of us wanted... as well!

Cheers
DD

Old 06-27-2016, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've seen those deals on other kinds of stuff on the Craigslist
free section. "Must take all"!!!

I'm sitting at a very sturdy industrial type work table. Far more fancy
than needed. but free. The donor helped me it atop my Jeep.
I unloaded it via the "controlled fall" method. Then on end walked it
in to the house. got stumped at the hall. Son came by and we twisted and turned til we just barely got it to do a 90 and in the door.

Bodge or... I switched in to Xfinity. Modem took up a disturbing buzz.
Tech there suggested a weight on it. I did. first one not enough.
But, a big heavy old tech three hole punch on top of it and nice silence.

Oh yean, I get a replacement next week. Shake down cruises needed in a lot of places.

Carl

Old 06-27-2016, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,756 Likes on 7,101 Posts

For many years the extended Dwyer family was a big fan of the Oldsmobile 98 Regency, circa 1977-1979 model years. We had 3 or 4 of 'em. Great cars.

About ten years ago the last one was finally beyond repair. Still ran great but the rest of it was shot. But it had a 403 V8, 400 transmission, and 3:23 positraction differential. I couldn't bear to let that stuff go to the scrapyard. 'Somebody' out there would surely want it, right?

I advertised it as "1979 Olds 403 engine and TH400 trans and positraction differential, all in good working order. $100 OBO. Buyer must take entire rusted, worn out car"

Within a day a guy called and wanted the engine only for $100. He balked at having to take the whole car, but I stuck to my guns and he gave in

Cheers
DD

Old 06-27-2016, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Wow ! Cherry picking guy!!! What were you to do with the carcass???

Strip it of VIN and plates and park it on the street at mid note and
"walkaway"? Once a well known practice in SOCAL!!

I guess one could file a fake notice of sale with the DMV ??

Donations? The local smoke police have a junior "cash for clunkers"
program. A grand if..... Be complete, run and pass smog???

Demo Derby or Le Mons ???

I do have fond memories of our 55 Olds 98 Holiday coupe. White over red. Art deco styling at it's peak. But, it's 324 CI V8 and 4 speed hydro made it lively. Alas, no AC. it had to leave in favor of a mere ford, but with ICY AC. Got it painted RED, and pleased wifey, sorta...

Carl

Old 06-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts

Timing is everything ...it seems. I would have given you a 100 dollars for all that stuff in a heartbeat had I known .. Still looking for a rebuildable 403 for my 1983 Buick Park Avenue Electra. Has a 307 which is really too small for the car,...needs more torque.. car has only 85,000 miles on it.

Funny how people are,.. I have the Jag , the Buick and I drive my old Astro van everywhere... that vehicle is just so handy, and reliable,... I automatically reach for the keys to it every time I leave the house...

But yeah,.. I guess that is part of the deal (the worm on the hook so to speak) you have to wrap the thing that is more valuable with the "other stuff" and stand your ground. Or, the "crows" will strip off the good stuff and leave you with the "problem" to solve.....

Old 06-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

FREE! FREE! FREE!
Complete running engine and BW transmission. with harness.
Newly rebuilt starter, 2 new fuel pumps, new FPR, Injectors recently serviced, ECU, Expansion tank with bracket, new freeze plugs.
FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 06:02 PM
Received 190 Likes on 124 Posts

That's why my 12 is a wine rack! Could not sell it. Many wanted it after a friend and I bashed it apart. Glad I kept it.
Got $500 for the guts to my MK2.
Just depends on the weather.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sanchez
FREE! FREE! FREE!
Complete running engine and BW transmission. with harness.
Newly rebuilt starter, 2 new fuel pumps, new FPR, Injectors recently serviced, ECU, Expansion tank with bracket, new freeze plugs.
FREEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Do you still have the engine? if so where are you located I could use it.
Thanks

Old 08-24-2016, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 560 Likes on 340 Posts

I am in Florida. Someone in NC was interested but it fell through. I had a scrapper pick it up together with a 305 chevy engine, suspension parts radiators etc. I had to clean up my garage as it got to the point where I could hardly walk. I is probably on its way to China by now.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 342 Likes on 268 Posts
Default Metal people come by and pickup day before trash

In my town, all you have to do is leave it (anything with metal of any kind) on the sidewalk the day before our city trash pickup.

It will be gone in hours... off to be recycled.

I got tired of offering stuff for free... I am getting rid of two good lower valances next week and a bunch of other metal parts that are surplus.

I will attempt to sell the spare Series 1 front bumper ....

Old 08-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Sanchez:

305 SBC's are not the cream of the crop. So, no loss. but, the other stuff, oh yeah, sad.... but, at times, it just gotta be.

Infinity issues resolved, all but the bill!!! Haggling in progress.
The nose was RF off the modem that my Harmon Kardon steeo speakers on another machine were picking up. Smart tech merely slightly relocated the amp and all is quiet. Nice Music when wanted, on the older dell. This not quite as old or mebbe older doesn't like any noise system??? merely, it's own scratchy little paper plates trying, sorta...

Oh, well hearing is not one of my strong points. Unless, it is the exhaust of a healthy IC!!!

Carl

Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

i had 3, YES three, Jaguar V12 engines complete take outs, one a carby, other 2 FI engines, was using Craigs list , NO takers, so rushing to move , brought them to junkyard, got $75. dollars for the bunch!

such a shame.

but i suppose there is not much value to old Jaguar cars and parts.

i got my 1978 XJS roadster for no cost, just remove it from property, 1993!

just around 2011 guy gave me 1975 XJ12C coupe, MANUAL shift, for same remove it from property, signed the title on the roof of car!

gotta be realistic guys , JUNK IS JUST THAT, JUNK, we all think its valuable , but trying to make money from the stuff is rare!

Last edited by ronbros; 08-25-2016 at 12:26 PM.