Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Fog Lights (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/fog-lights-1294/)

03-28-2007 09:46 PM

Fog Lights

Hi i'm new here and just bought my first car, which was a1990 Jaguar XJ6. and i didnt really know where to post thisbut here i go. i was looking over all the buttons in the car and seen that their is one that says fog lights on the left side of the dash,but when i turned it on nothing happend. I looked infront to realize that theirare no fog lights on the car and no places for them to go.Can i get fog lights put into this car? why do i have the button lol ?

Jose 03-29-2007 11:36 AM

RE: Fog Lights

fog lights or spot lights are optional equipment. you can get them anywhere (AutoZone, Walmart, Jaguar Dealers, Walgreens, Publix Supermarkets, the Post Office, McDonald's, etc. (just kiddin'), and just mount them under the bumper. The switch is there because Jaguar has a tradition of pre-wiring the cars, so if you decide to install fogs or spots, the wires and switch are already there, so all you have to do is mount and connect the lamps. I prefer Spot lamps for more bright light at night, because, how many times do we encounter Fog conditions? What I did was, I found a strange set at Walmart (real cheap but very nice) that has both Fog (amber) and Spot (clear) lamps, 2 bulbs and 2 lenses per lamp, and 3 wires per lamp. I connected the Fog lights to the factory fog light wiring and switch, and I added a separate switch and wiring for the spot lamps. The best of both worlds, ready for anything. Also, your switch might have TWO positions, one for the Front Fog lamps, and one position for the REAR fog lamps, because in Europe, expensive cars have Rear Fog lamps too, usually Red. Those are not used in the USA but the wiring is already there anyway!

Also, yes, you are in the wrong section but the L with it. I posted a Jaguar Sedan Production Chart in this section which you might study to learn what your exact year/model is.

Jose

03-29-2007 12:31 PM

thanks, i plan on getting them. and its good to no the wires will already be there. but where exactly do i mount them? do i have to put a hole in the front of the car where the shine out ?

Jose 03-29-2007 04:41 PM

the holes for the brackets or bolts will be there too, but not the brackets or bolts, those are part of the factory Jaguar kit if you buy the kit for your model/year. You need to lay on the ground looking up under the bumper to see the holes. You can get brackets (if needed), at any hardware store, (the brackets you might need are usually in the shape of an "L", also known as "angle brackets". Mounting bolts will come with the lamps, any lamps kit. My advice is that you buy the Parts & Service Manual CD from the Jaguar dealer for your model/year Jaguar, (about $25.00 and well worth the money), then look at the "Accessories" section where it will show the optional lamps and maybe the installation instructions. I am not familiar with your 1990 model, mine are a 1984 XJ-6 and a 1965 S type.

Jose

03-29-2007 08:36 PM

wow, thanks for all your help... :)