Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Ford 9 Inch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/ford-9-inch-164081/)

springer 06-08-2016 01:49 PM

Ford 9 Inch

I have read in other threads and post about many people have put Ford 9 inch rears in their Jags. Any build treads or pictures of this???

sov211 06-08-2016 08:44 PM

What are Ford 9 inch rears? Rear whats?

Doug 06-08-2016 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 1477678)
What are Ford 9 inch rears? Rear whats?

Differential; "rear end"

The "Ford 9 inch" is well known in performance circles for being very rugged

Cheers
DD

Doug 06-08-2016 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by springer (Post 1477465)
I have read in other threads and post about many people have put Ford 9 inch rears in their Jags. Any build treads or pictures of this???

Are you talking about replacing the Jag IRS with a solid axle set-up? Can't say I've heard of anyone doing so but may have missed it.

Cheers
DD

JagCad 06-09-2016 09:30 AM

Interesting??? On coils or leafs as a sold axle. Drum brakes ?
Why not if matched well. Probably no noticeable difference in day today driving. When pressed, yes.

Easier to service. Way more!!!!

Mis matched lug patterns, yup. Ford vs Chevrolet...

Or, I have a vague recollection of a fabricated IRS, using the
Ford pumpkin. Shortened axle tubes and axles. Half shafts.
Out board hubs, etc.

The Dana used by Jaguar is just as tough as the Ford 9".
But, far easier to service. Pinion and ring gear come out in a housing.

Why????

Carl

springer 06-09-2016 10:35 AM

Was just something I was kicking around. I know that the Dana 44 that's in the IRS now is pretty strong what I was worried about was the actual Cage being ripped out of my car. So I was thinking if I was going to do all the fabrication work to get rid of the cage and mount the IRS in the car without the cage I might as well just step up to what is pretty much a bulletproof rear end such as the Ford 9-inch and suspend it with coilovers and basically a 4 Link setup. If you call a company like Currie Enterprises they will pretty much build you a Ford 9-inch any with bolt pattern gear ratio Locker excetera excetera

JagCad 06-09-2016 12:11 PM

Just my view.

1. As far as bullet proof is concerned, the Dana and Ford 9" are on a par. Internal mods available for each.

2. The Currie stuff is top notch. Price?? if no object, go to 3.

3. The cage is provided not only for service "ease", but more so for structural integrity. Beefing the monocuqe will need to be extensive.
Torque, tear out, etc.

4. But, swapping our gear ratios in the 9' if that is a need is surely easier. But, in IRS form, not so much!!!

Dedion design retained or merely solid on coil overs???

Seems like big bucks to step back???

Carl

Curt Lee 06-09-2016 07:29 PM

The Ford 9" ring and pinion also comes out as a unit. Personally, I see no reason to alter Jaguar's design if it equals or comes close to Ford's in strength; Ford's 9" is notorious for robbing power and if you're marginal there, it's not worth the expense or effort to build one into an IRS just for novelty. FWIW; the torque it would take to tear the frame out would probably twist the body shell so hard the front and rear glass would pop out....

springer 06-10-2016 02:55 PM

Maybe I misguided everyone. I don't want to put a 9" in as a IRS. I was wondering about a solid axle whole 9" with 4 link suspension and coilovers. Just something I was thinking about. I alway read that the rear end can rip out under hp and tq so I was just thinking ahead. I would rather keep the stuff I have because I just put all new parts in the stock rearend and changed the gear ratio and added an Eaton limited slip.

JagCad 06-11-2016 11:20 AM

The difference that isn't different???

The big torque engine that will tear the cage off the "chassis"
is just as likely to tear out any coil over mounts of a solid axle
9" from the "chassis"???

Axle or torque wrap is still at play, either way. Added members can
control it in either choice.

Solid axle in lieu of a sophisticated De Dion is still a step backwards in my view.

Or, h... just mount the 9" solid sans any coils. Torque wrap I control. Other issues, oh yeah, tons of 'em !!!

I do enjoy the thinking and discussion!!

Carl

Doug 06-11-2016 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by springer (Post 1478880)
I alway read that the rear end can rip out under hp and tq so I was just thinking ahead. I would rather keep the stuff I have because I just put all new parts in the stock rearend and changed the gear ratio and added an Eaton limited slip.

If you'd rather keep what you have then maybe you can devise a stronger *mounting* for the existing IRS? Probably less effort that a conversion to a solid rear axle.

Some of the lumpers here can advise how much hp and torque the Jag *differential* can safely handle. It may be strong enough for your needs. It's a cousin to the Dana 44.

Cheers
DD

JagCad 06-12-2016 08:52 AM

Might try an archival search on J-L. The XJS list. Rob Wade, a Canadian
bought a nice XJS lump from Andrew Weinberg, the proprietor of Jaguar-specialties.

He bumped up the TBI V8 some more and ran it on the drag strip. His specialty is exhaust systems. Some very sophisticated ones. he designed and built a traction control device that might be what you are looking for.

Carl

lickahotskillet 06-13-2016 09:08 PM

IRS or ford 9

5 Attachment(s)
for me, I stuck with the IRS. 485HP, 530 torque. All new urethane bushings, spicer u-joints without zerks, torque plate to the trunk floor. launches hard with street slicks. Used the HD carriage mounts from SNG Barratt.

lickahotskillet 06-13-2016 09:12 PM

IRS vs ford 9

1 Attachment(s)
So on my MK2, there is room for a IRS, but with massive mods to strengthen the body...I went with a total frame and a 9" ford.

JagCad 06-14-2016 03:07 AM

Clyde:

Definitely slick applications of old tech, but effective "solutions".

1. Gallon jugs with a liquid, left rear, to offset engine torque
and keep the LR wheel planted...

2. Watts linkage or as I vaguely recall, Jacobs ladder. Torque transfer
limited.

3. Removal of the cage in favor of a fabbed component mount,
is very much like Corvette's solutionl

Nice work...

Carl

JagCad 06-14-2016 03:09 AM

More pics to enjoy coming up???

Carl

springer 06-14-2016 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by lickahotskillet (Post 1480845)
for me, I stuck with the IRS. 485HP, 530 torque. All new urethane bushings, spicer u-joints without zerks, torque plate to the trunk floor. launches hard with street slicks. Used the HD carriage mounts from SNG Barratt.

I like that. I'm going to make one of these plates.

lickahotskillet 06-14-2016 12:49 PM

traction control plate

3 Attachment(s)
springer,

I went to the rear with the plate, because of exhaust clearance. My exhaust goes under the plate. Exhaust must come down to grease the inner fulcrum arms. Exhaust is 2.5"
I've seen others with arms to the front - Ronbros - on this site.

springer 06-14-2016 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by lickahotskillet (Post 1481246)
springer,

I went to the rear with the plate, because of exhaust clearance. My exhaust goes under the plate. Exhaust must come down to grease the inner fulcrum arms. Exhaust is 2.5"
I've seen others with arms to the front - Ronbros - on this site.

Yes I have the same setup two and a half inch that goes under the plate also. Is that just a transmission mount that you use between the plate and the trunk floor? Also in the last picture is that the inside of the trunk floor which you have some extra bracing welded onto I'm assuming to strengthen where the mount attaches and also in the right of that picture is that part of a roll cage that I see. I am planning on this winter putting a roll cage in mind I have a JD squared tubing bender and everything just wondered if you could get me some pics of yours if you have it just for ideas sake. Do you have a part number for the Sg Barrett stuff I was on their site and couldn't fine those mounts.

lickahotskillet 06-15-2016 02:09 PM

Watts & rear suspension part numbers

4 Attachment(s)
Carl,
Watts keeps the pinion centered in the car at all times. Serves the same job as a panhard rod, but these shift the pinion side for side, slightly. But you knew that.

Springer,
Mount is a poly urethane transmission mount for a mustang. Rear plates in the trunk prevent floor flex under hard acceleration. Studs welded to the center of the support are used instead of bolts. Actually cut off bolts are welded in place. Plate is welded to the floor and to the front vertical of the spare well. Two triangles tie the two together. They are angled outward to allow the spare to fit. No roll bar.
SNG Barratt;
Radius arm with polly bushings and sway bar bracket C41831/PB on sale now
Upgraded Cradle Mount - CAC3067U
Bump stop C40158
I usually speak with Frank.