Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   fuel cap question (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/fuel-cap-question-131143/)

Darrenmb 11-14-2014 07:25 PM

fuel cap question

I was pulling last of chrome off before car goes to paint, and when i pulled gas caps there is a rubber line on the front that got broken on one side, Does anyone know where the other end of that line is? do i need to replace that line before it goes to paint or is it simple and can wait? i looked in my haynes (manual, not underpants) and found nothing about it. :) im sure i can figure it out, but sometimes its easier to ask than dig for an hour or two to find out i coulda just undone a screw somewhere and it popped off. any help greatly appreciated!

o1xjr 11-14-2014 07:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have an overflow pipe connected to mine and it drains from the bottom of the fuel tank cover panel near the rear mufflers. Your series 3 may be the same. If it is the overflow pipe it can wait.

Attachment 100650Attachment 100651

Darrenmb 11-14-2014 08:06 PM

that's not the one, there's a hole 180 from there with a hose coming out of it that connects to the filler cap itself on the front side! i see no access in the trunk i believe other end is at charcoal canister, however it cant be hose for the whole length.....

o1xjr 11-15-2014 01:16 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Just removed my filler cap, can't really see what you mean. Bought it upstairs and took some shots on the kitchen bench (44c in the garage today). Maybe you could point out what I am missing. Someone will have an answer.

Got to put it back on now because my daughter and her boyfriend are taking it out tonight.
You probably guessed by now mine is the forum pull a part photo car for series 1 junkies.

Attachment 100675Attachment 100676Attachment 100677Attachment 100678

Darrenmb 11-15-2014 06:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of mine, hopefully they clear enough to view, batteries in camera are low so flash wouldnt work, havent even had coffee yet!! lol

Grant Francis 11-15-2014 06:38 AM

Clarke, you got carby, he got EFI, and that is the breather hose spigot I think??.

It runs down the front of the tank, MEMORY HAHAHA, and off to no mans land.

Access is via the lower skirt panels when removed for tank removal.

Doug should see this eventually, and he IS the S3 Guru.

o1xjr 11-15-2014 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb (Post 1101656)
havent even had coffee yet!! lol

10.40 pm, just cracked a cab/sav and going to settle in to some forum reading.:icon_slap:

Nothing like that on mine, but looks like some type of breather or overflow. Either way not a biggie.
Fireball is entrusted to the daughters boyfriend tonight!.....:icon_call:
"how is my car?"

They have taken it to a retro night at uni.

EDIT, thanks Grant, you posted while I was typing.

Darrenmb 11-15-2014 07:14 AM

I have skirt panel removed on other side of car, will look and see if its accessible!!

Doug 11-15-2014 09:02 AM

Yeah, look like the venting hose nipple to me.

Cheers
DD

S.Bunzel 11-16-2014 06:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Darrenmb

Here is two picture "with the tank removed"

Stig

Darrenmb 11-16-2014 06:37 AM

still gotta find the other end of that hose though, looks like it goes through that angled piece.....

S.Bunzel 11-16-2014 08:05 AM

That becomes quite a challenge, now I have been looking for an hour and can not find the other end.
My Jag is an empty body shell! Except for the boot lid hinge and i'm not ready to remove it yet. Sorry

Stig

davidboger 11-16-2014 08:52 AM

You are correct that it is the end of the line that connects to the vapor canister...
It's most accessible by removing the tank, but may be able to be replaced by removing the rear parcel shelf... You'll be able to see where the line attaches to the canister with the parcel shelf off..
I have some photos here that may help...
It'll show where the line comes off the vapor canister and goes through the body, to the filler cap...
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Cheers
David
Everydayxj.com

davidboger 11-16-2014 10:21 AM

Just to add a bit...
On the vapor canister, there are three hoses... One that goes to the filler cap, and two that into the boot, and forward (eventually) to the canister in the RHS wheel well...
The ones in the boot are fairly easy to see, the one that goes to the filler cap (in question) is a bit tougher.. It goes through the body of the car, and is nowhere to be seen with the gas tank in place...
If you remove the vapor canister from the C pillar, it may be possible to feed the line back in place through the body... But the easiest way to do it is with the gas tank out...
I did have a car that had water ingress into the tank, because that line was never put back on.. So it's kinda important for it to be there...
Not to mention helping to control the fuel smells...

David